What's new

getting pushed off of the AE-8000U for the Sony HW40ES? (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I was excited to see that the Panny was down to $1500 but when I told the company that is helping me build my theater room, they suggested passing on it and go to the $2000 Sony PJ

His main claim was that the Sony would be better for movie motion as I have extreme concerns about frame judder and "Soap Opera Effect"

It looks like they are both fine machines... Is the Sony worth the extra $500?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Elfmaze said:
I was excited to see that the Panny was down to $1500 and when I told the company that is goign to help my build by theater room he suggested passing on it and go to the $2000 Sony PJ

His main claim was that the Sony would be better for movie motion as I have extreme concerns about frame judder and "Soap Opera Effect"

You would come off as more intelligent if you delete this thread and start a new one with a coherent title.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
GeorgeAB said:
You would come off as more intelligent if you delete this thread and start a new one with a coherent title.

Indeed.... but you are assuming there is any intelligence there to mirror.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Elfmaze said:
I was excited to see that the Panny was down to $1500 and when I told the company that is goign to help my build by theater room he suggested passing on it and go to the $2000 Sony PJ

Proper spelling helps.

Anyway.

D-ILA/LCoS is superior to both LCD and DLP projectors.

I personally never recommend LCD to begin with.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
The tablet revolution has certainly hurt my typing etiquette. I am kind of surprised to only find the only solid length review of the Sony to be in German on you tube. Usually most tech purchases I make there are a plethora of review options.

BTW I retired my first ever Projector today. Put it curb side to see if there was any interest. I guess in a few years I'll be putting my LT-150 out to pasture :(
20150525_140859_zpsxalbnevc.jpg

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
So for the extra $500 would you still recommend the Sony over the Panny? I would love a nice JVC But $2000 Is really pushing the budget. Theoretically trying to over spend on the PJ and build my room on the dime.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
Proper spelling helps.

Anyway.

D-ILA/LCoS is superior to both LCD and DLP projectors.

I personally never recommend LCD to begin with.

I sorted through the acronyms it appears the Sony is a form of LCoS. So I guess that's a good thing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
GeorgeAB said:
Was the title changed? Looks reasonable to me as is. In the future let's not passive aggressively insult others intelligence and simply say he'd have better results, mmkay? =)

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Sam Posten said:
Was the title changed? Looks reasonable to me as is. In the future let's not passive aggressively insult others intelligence and simply say he'd have better results, mmkay? =)
Yes, the title was changed. Thanks for the correction. Your suggestion would have been much better.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Elfmaze said:
I sorted through the acronyms it appears the Sony is a form of LCoS. So I guess that's a good thing.
JVC is D-ILA
Sony is LCoS

Technically, the two techs are the same thing.

The only way to do home theater better is with a commercial style DLP(home and commercial are nowhere near the same thing).

As 4K OLED(printed board isn't dead...) comes along....expect DLP and D-ILA/LCoS to push LCD out of projectors.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sneaky mods changing titles and not sayin' nothin!

Not to add a new layer of complexity here, but.... We know nothing of the room layout here and making PJ recommendations just by comparing two random models at floating price points aint good for anyone. And despite what other Sam says 2015 era LCD models are FINE. Love my 2014 vintage Epson PJ and it's terrific and priced competitvely.

Use your own eyes before you take someone's opinion that a certain tech is trash, OP.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I can't speak to the Sony, but one of the strongest selling points to the Panny (I have the PT-AE4000U, the model you mention is the latest version of that) is the remarkable lens memory that for me is essential for a 2.35:1 constant height screen. Switching from 1.78:1 to 1.85:1 to 2.35:1 is all done at the touch of a button and an anamorphic lens attachment is not necessary.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think it's a rule that you need to note the significant drawbacks in using a CIH setup like that Mark, every time I see people advocating it to newbies it's like they forget that doing that is niche for a reason:
-when showing in native 16x9 you are going to have considerably smaller screen.
-When showing in 2.35 mode you are using the same ~60% of available pixels and just eclipsing the unused segments from leaking light.

CIH is not a panacea and not a good choice for the vast majority of viewers.
Native 16x9 CONTENT is going to be what you are watching the vast majority of the time.

For the very small subset of people who watch predominantly ultrawidescreen movies then yes, CIS is a neat compromise, but getting to that compromise fundamentally robs the greatness of the tech for most viewers.

OP, before you embark down that road be sure you really understand the tradeoffs.

Once again, we know nothing about the room or about the viewer. Advocating CIH out of the blue isn't helping anyone here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I wasn't advocating CIH. Merely pointing out that of the 2 projectors he is comparing, the Panny is specifically designed for 2.35:1 screens. If that is not a selling point for him then he will surely dismiss my advice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The company he is working with has, we hope, done the due diligence in picking the spot to put the projector.

He's obviously not doing CIH, or, we hope, the place he is working with, wouldn't recommend the 40(higher up models have zoom/iris/memory).

Obviously he already has done this before.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sneaky mods changing titles and not sayin' nothin!

Not to add a new layer of complexity here, but.... We know nothing of the room layout here and making PJ recommendations just by comparing two random models at floating price points aint good for anyone. And despite what other Sam says 2015 era LCD models are FINE. Love my 2014 vintage Epson PJ and it's terrific and priced competitvely.

Use your own eyes before you take someone's opinion that a certain tech is trash, OP.
I wasn't saying "LCD was trash".

What I was saying...

LCD cannot compete with LCoS and D-ILA.

DLP can. Granted, once you hit a certain point, "commercial-ish for the home" is available.

Printed board OLED hasn't died. Matter of a fact, a perforated printed board has been made. Why do we care about perforated printed board?

Acoustically transparent.

If that becomes viable, LCD projectors are a dead tech. They can't go up in price if Sony and JVC drop the entry price. For those that still want to do woven AT.

Also, imagine a cell phone with a perforated printed board OLED screen...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:

What I was saying...

DLP can. Granted, once you hit a certain point, "commercial-ish for the home" is available.

Printed board OLED hasn't died. Matter of a fact, a perforated printed board has been made. Why do we care about perforated printed board?

If that becomes viable, LCD projectors are a dead tech. They can't go up in price if Sony and JVC drop the entry price. For those that still want to do woven AT.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:

What I was saying...

Users who are viewing this thread