What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sunshine Boys -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Casting in a greatly unappreciated art.

Those who do it well, generally have huge CVs, with great credits, but most lovers of cinema wouldn't know their names.

Jennifer Shull is one of those names.  Her credits include Funny Lady, For Pete's Sake, The Conversation, Somewhere in Time, and many others.

One of those titles is a 1975 production directed by Herbert Ross, and produced by Ray Stark.  It was based upon the Broadway play of the same name.  Neil Simon created the screenplay, based upon his own work.

The film was The Sunshine Boys -- about a couple of aging vaudevillians (they'd work together for 43 years), brought together again for a TV special.  The kicker is, they hate each other.  

The role of Al Lewis was originally signed to Jack Benny, who was forced to give up the role due to health reasons.  A makeup test is included on the new Blu-ray, along with another test of Phil Silvers, testing as Willy Clark.  Unfortunately the test of Mr. Benny and Mr. Matthau was shot MOS.  I'd love to be able to hear the dialogue.  Sadly, even at the time of the test, Mr. Benny was appearing unhealthy.

I bring up casting, as it's interesting to look at the actual ages of those who tested, and the two gentlemen who, fortuitously for us, ended up in the film.

Mr. Benny was 80, when he did his makeup tests.  Mr. Silvers was 64.

While Mr. Burns, who replaced Mr. Benny was basically the same age, Mr. Matthau was only 55.

Mr. Burns' film career is also interesting.  While his background was in vaudeville, and later radio, his film career, after some shorts (1929-33), and a string of feature appearances from 1933-39, his major career really didn't take off until The Sunshine Boys, for which he received an Academy Award.  After 1975, he appeared in another six films.

None of this has anything to do with the textures that you'll find on Warner Archives new Blu-ray, which is magnificent.

The overall look of the cinematography by David M. Walsh, much shot on location in NY, is gritty, grainy and beautiful.  The Blu-ray gives us a full sheen of grain.

Contrast on a couple of shots at the opening appears just a touch heavy, but beyond that, the Blu-ray is magnificent and film-like.

For those who have never experienced The Sunshine Boys, you're in for a treat.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

An aside...

I was seated next to Mr. Burns on a flight from LA to NY in 1981, and we chatted on and off for those hours.  When I mentioned that I'd been working at Zoetrope in Hollywood, where he had an office, had often passed his office door, and had always wanted to meet him, his answer was, "You couldn't knock?"

Yet an other aside...

Supervising film editor was Margaret Booth.  Look her up!

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Supervising film editor was Margaret Booth. Look her up!

RAH
Yes, she turns up a few times in that great studio documentary, MGM: When The Lion Roars, someone who worked through all the studio eras, & worked with so many Hollywood legends

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I've really, really been looking forward to this one. Glad to hear that the AV quality is excellent. Will be happy to retire my old DVD edition.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I wish almost all of the films David M Walsh shot. his credits are impressive while most of his films aren't glossy the movies he shot are varied and great.

Seems Like Old Times
the goodbye Girl
foul Play
max Dugan returns
Private Benjamin
country
house Calls
Outrageous Fortune
the In Laws
chapter Two
murder By Death
California Suite
roller coaster

all of the above and more belong on BLU.

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
Powell&Pressburger said:
I wish almost all of the films David M Walsh shot. his credits are impressive while most of his films aren't glossy the movies he shot are varied and great.

Seems Like Old Times
the goodbye Girl
foul Play
max Dugan returns
Private Benjamin
country
house Calls
Outrageous Fortune
the In Laws
chapter Two
murder By Death
California Suite
roller coaster

all of the above and more belong on BLU.
I totally agree. What I would give to have
The Goodbye Girl on blu from WAC with the Saul Bass WB worm logo at the start, just as I saw it at the Northpoint Theater in SF
When my mom took me to see it in 1977!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just pre-ordered The Sunshine Boys yesterday. I actually never really heard of this film when it first came out but then as George Burns began his (second) rise in popularity, I became interested. I did see Going In Style and definitely want that on Blu. My list of David Walsh films I want on Blu:

Going In Style (1979)

Foul Play (1978)

Private Benjamin (1979)

The Goodbye Girl (1977): Always have pleasant memories of a beautiful girl I was going with at that time, taking her to see this movie.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
My list of Herbert Ross films I want---THE GOODBYE GIRL---GOODBYE MR CHIPS---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Billy Batson said:
Yes, she turns up a few times in that great studio documentary, MGM: When The Lion Roars, someone who worked through all the studio eras, & worked with so many Hollywood legends

And she lived to be 104!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
"What happened to 'come in'?" can't say anything else when somebody throws a "enter!" at me. Some don't know what I'm talking about! :huh: :D

It's up there with Odd Couple. Can't wait to own a blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks