What's new

Before The End Arrives...Last Minute Purchases (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Frank's recent post about what we might see in the way of classic TV releases for the last half of 2015 and the decline in releases in general has got me thinking.

If the end of classic TV on DVD is on the horizon, what classics that you haven't purchased yet might you pick up before the end arrives?

My first purchase has already arrived. I picked up the complete series of Mannix. It was the last bit of my tax refund after some needed car repairs. So, I treated myself.

A few others on my list are The Twilight Zone, Magnum P.I. and Simon and Simon.

While I usually stick to 70s TV, I have watched all of these shows (Twilight Zone is a classic that should have been in my collection long ago) and enjoy them. Magnum and Simon and Simon are both great shows that I did really enjoy during the original airings. I've been thinking about those two for quite a while now. I'm not sure which Twilight Zone set to get. I really don't need all of the bonus stuff. I'm hedging more towards the episodes only set. That might be the best one for me. Who knows? I may splurge on the Blu-ray set.

A few 70s shows that I should pick up to round out my collection are Mork and MIndy (loved the 1st season, didn't like season two that much, liked most of season 3, and gave up before season 4), The Waltons (loved it as a kid but not sure how much I could stand as an adult), The Doris Day Show, and Love Boat. While I don't care all that much for Love Boat, it's so 70s that it needs to be in my collection.

The one 70s show that I would really love to have but won't buy because of really bad music edits is Taxi. I know it's been butchered so I just can't bring myself to buy it.

I've considered Dallas because it's such a pinnacle 80s show, but I watched it when it was originally on, and I just couldn't stick with it. Not sure if I could rewatch it and enjoy it. Plus, it has those blasted flipper discs. Maybe. We'll see.

I'm also thinking of the Blu-rays of the Original Star Trek. While I'm not a fan of the new effects, I would like to have the option of which version to watch. Plus, I've heard the original episodes look spectacular.

So, what last minute sets would you consider getting before they're all gone?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can definitely give a thumbs up to the Blu-rays of Star Trek TOS and Twilight Zone - the picture and sound quality is fantastic on both. I've watched all the episodes, but very few of the bonus features. I'll probably get to them someday but haven't been rushing. What I've seen in terms of bonus material has been of good quality.

If everything was going out of print in the near future, I'd probably pick up the complete series sets for Married With Children and All In The Family. Probably half the reason would be nostalgia for watching Married when my parents weren't paying attention (they didn't love that I watched the show but didn't exactly forbid it), and I remember All In The Family reruns as being such a huge part of my freshman year dorm experience. (Of all things for a bunch of newly left alone 18 year olds to watch in the year 2001, that's gotta be an odd choice, right?)

I really enjoyed CSI during the years William Petersen was the star, and I think I never got the DVDs of his last couple seasons, I don't feel the need to have the years after he left but is complete my collection of the ones he was on.

I have most of "Smallville" but missing the last three seasons. It's by no means a great show, but I enjoyed watching it when it was on, so the completist in me would want to finish off the set.

And, in terms of total pipe dreams, if Disney ever put out more of the original Disneyland broadcasts (some appeared on the Disney Treasures sets), I'd eagerly snatch those up.

I have season two of Chappelle's Show but for some reason never got season one. I'd fix that too.

I have all the Star Trek series on Blu that are available. I don't have Deep Space Nine on DVD, or Voyager. DS9 I'm now watching on Netflix (when it first aired I only saw the first couple years, the rest is new to me), and Voyager I missed entirely after really not liking the pilot at all. I figure I'll give that another shot someday. I'm also hoping that there will be a Blu-ray upgrade eventually and if so I'll start buying then.

On the fence about X-Files, since I enjoyed the mythology episodes more than the standalones, and already have the mythology DVD sets. If they did a complete series Blu, I'd probably splurge for that, but I'm not buying the complete series on DVD.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The Outer Limits, Dallas, Hart To Hart, Star Trek, Remington Steele, The Prisoner, High Chaparral, Man Fom U.N.C.L.E. to name some titles not gotten yet. I think the end is still far away though, at least for the possibilty to puchase discs new or used. A used product never bothered me one bit, for some selected titles purchased over the years. New releases of classic shows may be winding down somewhat, most of the all-time big classics are out after all, but even those releases coming you'll still be able to find and buy in some way later used if nothing else.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Josh Steinberg said:
I can definitely give a thumbs up to the Blu-rays of Star Trek TOS and Twilight Zone - the picture and sound quality is fantastic on both. I've watched all the episodes, but very few of the bonus features. I'll probably get to them someday but haven't been rushing. What I've seen in terms of bonus material has been of good quality.
I didn't have the Blus of original-recipe NBC Trek, but I did have the remastered DVD releases, and I thought that they lent more life to TOS than the stories had when the show was originally on NBC from 1966-69.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dick Van Dyke, Twilight Zone, original Star Trek (I have those moulded plastic DVD sets), and maybe The Sopranos (I have the DVD's), all on Blu-Ray. On DVD, The Wild Wild West, seasons 11 - 13 and 15 - 20 of original Law & Order, the complete Larry Sanders Show, and seasons 3 & 4 of Louie (not on Blu-Ray like 1 & 2 apparently). But I already have on disc such an embarrassment of riches of the TV shows I've loved that I can hardly complain.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
My money is rather tight right now, or I would've gotten a few of these already... but this is basically the remaining available studio-controlled classic TV (pre-1980s), of personal interest, that I don't already own:

The Bob Newhart Show: Seasons 4 & 5

Gunsmoke: Seasons 10 & 11

Have Gun Will Travel: Seasons 5 & 6

Bewitched: Season 4

Upstairs, Downstairs (original): Complete Series

The Dakotas: Complete Series

Science Fiction Theater: Complete Series

In Search Of...: Complete Series

Dark Shadows (original): Complete Series

My Favorite Martian: Seasons 1-3

Mazinger Z (early-1970s anime): Collection 2

Plus a few where I haven't decided yet whether I'd really want to own them or not:

Perry Mason (original 1950s/60s run)

Hawaii Five-0 (original, post-Season 6)

Mannix (post-Season 2)

Get Smart: Complete Series

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
HenryDuBrow said:
The Outer Limits, Dallas, Hart To Hart, Star Trek, Remington Steele, The Prisoner, High Chaparral, Man Fom U.N.C.L.E. to name some titles not gotten yet. I think the end is still far away though, at least for the possibilty to puchase discs new or used. A used product never bothered me one bit, for some selected titles purchased over the years. New releases of classic shows may be winding down somewhat, most of the all-time big classics are out after all, but even those releases coming you'll still be able to find and buy in some way later used if nothing else.
I've bought 100s of movies (Mostly on VHS) at garage sales that are held each weekend, along with some TV Shows and Movies on DVD (My biggest finds were the three "Next Generation" Star Trek Series along with Enterprise and three of the five Law and Order (The ones that weren't available are the two that only lasted one season, but I got those two Cheap from The Big River). Shows on my Horizon Include all of the CSI series along with Bones (Not ALL of today's TV series are bad, but I'd rather watch them without commercials). I'll also pick up Perry Mason and (Hopefully ) the entire series of Medical Center (I was able to get the entire Marcus Welby MD from "Another Source"). :biggrin: We'll still have lots of DVDs coming down the pike, so just relax. :cool:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
When I first read Brian's initial post, my first thought was that I have most of what I want that has already been released, but after thinking on it awhile, I found there is quite a bit out there I put off for one reason of another:

Already Released Stuff:

1) UNCLE (1-4)

2) Here's Lucy (Various Seasons)

3) Fugitive (Season 3)

4) Untouchables (1-3)

5) Maude (Complete Set)

6) WKRP (Complete Set)

7) Wonder Years (Complete Set)

8) Empire (Season 1)

9) Daktari (Seasons 2 and 3)

10) Mothers-In-Law (Complete Series)

11) Good Morning World - Not even sure if this is available anymore.

12) Without a Trace - Seasons 3 and 4

13) Family Affair - Seasons 3-5

14) Hardcastle and McCormick - Seasons 1-3

15) Riptide - Season 1

16) Gimme A Break - Complete Series

17) Sea Hunt - Complete Series

Upcoming Releases:

1) Batman - Season 2 Volume 2, Season 3

2) Cannon - Seasons 4 and 5

3) Matt Houston - Seasons 2 and 3

4) The Rebel - Complete Series

5) Daktari - Season 4

And hoping against hope that before all is said and done, I can add proper releases of Run For Your Life, THE Cat, and Hawaiian Eye. Doubting that will happen, but if so, I can call my collection complete and ride off into the proverbial sunset. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Frank Soyke said:
When I first read Brian's initial post, my first thought was that I have most of what I want that has already been released, but after thinking on it awhile, I found there is quite a bit out there I put off for one reason of another:

Already Released Stuff:

11) Good Morning World - Not even sure if this is available anymore.
Yep... at least for now. While only 3rd party sellers there's at least *one* "Fulfilled by Amazon" available. The series *is* OOP.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Brian Himes said:
Frank's recent post about what we might see in the way of classic TV releases for the last half of 2015 and the decline in releases in general has got me thinking.

If the end of classic TV on DVD is on the horizon, what classics that you haven't purchased yet might you pick up before the end arrives?

My first purchase has already arrived. I picked up the complete series of Mannix. It was the last bit of my tax refund after some needed car repairs. So, I treated myself.

A few others on my list are The Twilight Zone, Magnum P.I. and Simon and Simon.

While I usually stick to 70s TV, I have watched all of these shows (Twilight Zone is a classic that should have been in my collection long ago) and enjoy them. Magnum and Simon and Simon are both great shows that I did really enjoy during the original airings. I've been thinking about those two for quite a while now. I'm not sure which Twilight Zone set to get. I really don't need all of the bonus stuff. I'm hedging more towards the episodes only set. That might be the best one for me. Who knows? I may splurge on the Blu-ray set.

A few 70s shows that I should pick up to round out my collection are Mork and MIndy (loved the 1st season, didn't like season two that much, liked most of season 3, and gave up before season 4), The Waltons (loved it as a kid but not sure how much I could stand as an adult), The Doris Day Show, and Love Boat. While I don't care all that much for Love Boat, it's so 70s that it needs to be in my collection.

The one 70s show that I would really love to have but won't buy because of really bad music edits is Taxi. I know it's been butchered so I just can't bring myself to buy it.

I've considered Dallas because it's such a pinnacle 80s show, but I watched it when it was originally on, and I just couldn't stick with it. Not sure if I could rewatch it and enjoy it. Plus, it has those blasted flipper discs. Maybe. We'll see.

I'm also thinking of the Blu-rays of the Original Star Trek. While I'm not a fan of the new effects, I would like to have the option of which version to watch. Plus, I've heard the original episodes look spectacular.

So, what last minute sets would you consider getting before they're all gone?
Im curious what you mean about " Before the end arrives"? Are the discs that are currently on the market going to vanish? I am still able to buy Laserdiscs and used players at a decent price in 2015. I find them on ebay and garage sales all the time. I can still buy VHS tapes on Amazon. Why wouldnt I expect the same out of Compact Disc sized media in the future as that format is considered one of the largest in the history of media by produced volume?

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I seriously doubt DVDs are at the end. Downloads are not the be-all, end-all of things. After all, people like to collect physical media. I have some downloaded stuff-I don't subscribe to Netflix or any of the other outfits--but I have mostly physical media.

VHS tapes are everywhere. People buy them all the time on the secondary market. CDs are still out there, and I think people buy CDs if they want to keep physical media of a certain artist or album, but buy downloads mostly if they want just a particular song and not the whole album. I know it's that way with me.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Susan Nunes_329977 said:
I seriously doubt DVDs are at the end. Downloads are not the be-all, end-all of things. After all, people like to collect physical media. I have some downloaded stuff-I don't subscribe to Netflix or any of the other outfits--but I have mostly physical media.

VHS tapes are everywhere. People buy them all the time on the secondary market. CDs are still out there, and I think people buy CDs if they want to keep physical media of a certain artist or album, but buy downloads mostly if they want just a particular song and not the whole album. I know it's that way with me.
Yup! I saw all kinds out at yard sales this weekend!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Susan Nunes_329977 said:

Susan FOX, Warner Bros and Universal are getting ready to launch a new format called Vidity https://www.vidity.com/ It was announced a few days ago. I believe it will work with the backbone being UV. VUDU and places like walmart and Target as well as many of the major electronics manufacturers are also on board. This is a download to own format for collectors and purchasers of media. It seems to me like they are attempting to steer the purchaser away from the physical to the digital realm. People young (LPs for example) and old like to collect even in 2015. The sell thru market is still around 7-8 Billion plus (including physical and digital sell thru) in 2015.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Glad I read this topic....didn't know that "Science Fiction Theater" was out, just ordered it....anyone know if the short series "Way Out" will ever come to DVD or Blu? I've wanted that since FOREVER!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Towergrove said:
Im curious what you mean about " Before the end arrives"? Are the discs that are currently on the market going to vanish? I am still able to buy Laserdiscs and used players at a decent price in 2015. I find them on ebay and garage sales all the time. I can still buy VHS tapes on Amazon. Why wouldnt I expect the same out of Compact Disc sized media in the future as that format is considered one of the largest in the history of media by produced volume?

The end being when DVDs are no longer being released. TV on DVD is in twilight time right now. From here on releases for older TV shows (just about anything pre 2000) are in decline and it is going to continue. Eventually there is going to be yet another format change and DVDs will go out of print. Just like VHS, laser disc and LPs (although LP are on the come back). It's just the nature of things. So, I was asking, since DVD releases are heading into the sunset (yes, it may be some years away), what sets that folks haven't picked up yet are they considering getting before the whole thing comes to an end. For myself, I've already started to pick up some things that I didn't get while they were being originally released. Mannix was my first. The Twilight Zone is next on my list.

Yes, used copies and unsold copies are going to floating around for decades. Newly released DVDs are eventually going to stop.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Towergrove said:
Good question. Bottom line is that once a dvd of a classic television show is no longer produced the results of finding a good used copy can prove prohibitive. Example: Try finding a copy of Unsolved Mysteries the Ultimate Collection for under $500($100 when released a few years ago). You won't.
The Secrets Of Isis, and Ark II from BCI both go for well over $100 for a really decent copies. More in sealed package. I remember buying them when they were brand new from Deepdiscount for $7.84 a piece.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
The High Chapperal is out in Germany (I have it) in Region 2 & in Europe - is it still not out in the USA ?

I'd LOVE to see; O'Hara: Treasury Agent (David Janssen), The Trials of O'Brien (Peter Falk), Lancer, Felony Squad, NYPD (which 'Police Squad' intro copies re the 'flashing light'), & all of those Warners private eye shows you mentioned above out on DVD

also 'The Name of The Game' (if ever !) the rest of 'The Bold Ones' (after 'The Senator') , Project UFO, The Defenders (original sixties b/w TV series & the later couple of color TV Movies starring E.G. Marshall & Beau Bridges)

the rest of Burke's Law (including; 'Amos Burke: Secret Agent) , Robert Horton's 'A Man Called Shenandoah' TV Western (one season),

plus British series;'Court Martial' (Bradford Dillman & Peter Graves)

& the Canadian series 'Seaway' starring Stephen Young & Austin Willis

on a general info point - if you have shows recorded on a mp4 can they be transferred onto a blank recordable DVD - if so, how and what do you need to do it...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks