What's new

Hellfighters (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Good John Wayne movie? I seem to be on a John Wayne kick with his Warner set on the way in another week or so.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Ronald Epstein said:
Good John Wayne movie? I seem to be on a John Wayne kick with his Warner set on the way in another week or so.
Is there a "bad" John Wayne movie? :) Oh, yeah...The Conqueror

Seriously, Hellfighters is a lesser Duke film, kind of a paint-by-the-numbers story about oil-rig firefighters, based on the experiences of Red Adair. Wayne's second film directed by Andrew McLaglen (McLintock! being the first), son of Wayne (and John Ford) favorite Victor McLaglen. Features Wayne's stock cast including Jim Hutton and Bruce Cabot.

It a good way to pass a couple of hours with The Duke, but nothing more than that.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
atfree said:

The Conqueror rocked....at least as much as other B Middle Ages adventure films or the era that is.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
atfree said:

Taken as a film on its own merits, The Conqueror isn't really bad, it's okay. What puts it on the worst films of all time lists is the horrible miscasting of the two leads which negates taking the film seriously. Wayne as Genghis Khan? The quintessential "American" actor as a Mongol? The red headed Hayward as a fiery Irish lass yes but as an Asian princess?

If the exact same film starred, say, Yul Brynner and Sophia Loren, trust me, it wouldn't have the reputation it had today!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Not to derailed this thread, but The Conqueror is a vastly underrated film. The Victor Young score alone is worth the price of admission. Beyond that you had some of the greatest stunts put on film. There are some tremendous horse falls with fantastic sword play. Watch it in high def widescreen with stereo soundtrack, and trust me...you will not be disappointed.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Well, okay. But I'd rather see Wayne's better flicks, though they're pretty much all Warner or Paramount. Not much Wayne on Universal. In fact, the only theatrical film I can think from Universal that's on my want list starring ANYONE is MacArthur.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Universal for releasing Hellfighters on BluRay! Hellfighters is one of my favorite John Wayne movies! I do not like to see John Wayne typecast to just Westerns, John Wayne's Non Western films are just as good! John Waynes Non Western films are always special to watch! The Green Berets, Hellfighters, MCQ, Brannigan, Ilsand In The Sky, Hatari, and Big Jim McClain are some of my favorite movies!

Take Care!

Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91V4+uyopdL._SL1500_.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Not one of Waynes best but still an enjoyable movie especially for Wayne fans. I've always had a soft spot for this movie and Hatari. Glad to see it released on blu especially since the stand alone DVD I have is non-anamorphic.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received the new Hellfighters today. It has color and contrast comparable to the fine Soul Media release but has a slightly more resolved look. It is a 50GB disc with a good bitrate. This Blu-ray has a DTS HD MA 5.1 soundtrack compared to the DD 2.0 on the Soul Media. It is, of course, 1080p24Hz without the PAL speed-up of the 1080i 50Hz foreign disc, resulting in about six more minutes of length. Happy here.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I watched it as well yesterday, and thought it has a very pleasing look and sound. Last year The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn were top notch releases, and this year Hellfighters falls in the same category. Universal doing an outstanding job with their John Wayne catalog.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is the release of the week. I have not picked it up yet but will...maybe today. I am catching up watching other titles I have recently purchased. Good to hear it is a good looking and sounding presentation.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Got word that my copy just arrived at the house. Will be enjoying this nifty John Wayne film which I first saw as a 9 year old in the theatre and that was the last time I saw it.

I'll post my review here later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks