What's new

U2 innocence and experience tour (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is any one attending the Vancouver show tonight?
It's not looking good for me to be able to see a show. Maybe on 3rd leg they will come to Atlanta?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I hope they swing through North Carolina or Virginia so I can catch them (saw them in Charlotte, NC for the Elevation tour, and in Charlottesville, VA for the U2 360 tour - both were superb)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Here's a few shots I took in Charlottesville, VA...such a great night!

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wishing I was in Vancouver!

I will be seeing them in NYC in July :)

Hoping that this tour will follow previous patterns and do another leg next year and hit up some cities they missed and maybe a return visit to NY cause I'm hopeful/greedy like that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The setlist from last night's show is posted at the fan site www.u2gigs.com and it looks like they've got YouTube links to some good fan shot video from the show on their twitter feed.

The Edge fell off the stage at the very end of the show, which kind of calls back to the first night of the Elevation tour in 2001, when Bono fell off the stage. Fortunately he's ok!

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I have tickets for Stockholm in September, both nights. Can't wait, have never seen them before, unfortunately. Didn't know the tour had actually started, interested in reading how the two nights (that they say they will play in each venue) differ, and when Songs of Experience (that they said would come) actually will be released.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
ChristopherG said:
Wait, the Edge fell off the edge?

I know that was too easy, but still...

I mean, he made the joke himself, so why not... after the fall, he put up a picture of his arm on instagram with the caption "Didn't see the edge"

Mikael Soderholm said:
I have tickets for Stockholm in September, both nights. Can't wait, have never seen them before, unfortunately. Didn't know the tour had actually started, interested in reading how the two nights (that they say they will play in each venue) differ, and when Songs of Experience (that they said would come) actually will be released.

I think you'll be in for a real treat, U2 are by far my favorite band to see play live. For better or worse, though, they recently announced in a New York Times article that they've abandoned the two different nights plan that they had talked about when the shows were first announced and put onsale. Now they're saying that instead of doing two different shows, they'll play one show that has variations. They announced that the first half of each concert will be pretty much the same (and seeing the videos from the show last night, that makes sense since it has most of the big production stuff that needs to be more carefully stages), and that they will then take a brief intermission, and that the second half of the concert would differ from night to night. I bought tickets to multiple shows and the idea of there being two different ones was definitely part of my reasoning, so I was a little disappointed to read that they had advertised one thing, and then changed their minds after selling the tickets based on that idea. But if they stay true to their new plan of having a lot of variety in the second half of the show, it'll still be very worthwhile for me to see multiple shows. I think we'll have a better idea of how much variety there's actually going to be after the second show in Vancouver tonight. From different fan sites and whatnot, we know that U2 have been confirmed as rehearsing 42 different songs (that is, there are 42 songs we know for a fact that they've run through, but it's entirely possible that there are more that we've missed), and the show last night was 24 songs... so they've got enough ready to be able to give a good amount of variety. Here's hoping!

But honestly, I've seen U2 back to back where it was basically the exact same thing from one night to the next, and I still wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Whatever they play, I'm gonna be the happiest person in the world when I'm there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For anyone curious, here's what they played in Vancouver last night, this is cobbled together from U2gigs.com atU2.com and the official forums at U2.com. The band came onstage around 8:00pm local time and finished around 10:30pm local time, with about a five minute intermission in the middle, so the total performance was about two hours and twenty minutes. There was no opening act, a first for a major U2 tour.

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)

2. Out Of Control

3. Vertigo

4. I Will Follow

5. Iris (Hold Me Close)

6. Cedarwood Road

7. Song For Someone

8. Sunday Bloody Sunday (new acoustic version)

9. Raised By Wolves

10. Until The End Of The World

(intermission break)

11. Invisible

12. Even Better Than The Real Thing

13. Mysterious Ways

14. Desire

15. Sweetest Thing

16. Every Breaking Wave (Bono & Edge only, with Edge on piano)

17. Bullet The Blue Sky

18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

19. The Troubles

20. With Or Without You

(encore break)

21. City Of Blinding Lights

22. Beautiful Day

23. Where The Streets Have No Name

24. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

little bit of trivia from the night

- 7 songs from "Songs Of Innocence" were played (8 if you include "Invisible" which was the single released early in 2014 during the Super Bowl, and then appeared as a bonus track on the deluxe edition of "Songs of Innocence")

- "Bullet The Blue Sky" had not been played since 2006 (it sat out the entire 360 tour)

- "One" was not played at a regular U2 show for the first time ever since it was written (it's been skipped at charity and one-off performances in the past, but it's been played at every single official U2 show since it was written in 1991)

- No songs were played from their previous album, No Line On The Horizon. Other albums not represented in the opening night include October, Zooropa, Pop and Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1.

- Larry Mullen Jr.'s father died earlier in the week, and Larry flew home to Dublin for the funeral, which was either the night before or morning of the show - he then flew back to Vancouver and arrived a couple hours before the doors opened

- Fans started camping out for the best general admission floor spots starting 3 days early; U2's road crew bought pizza for them one of the nights, and the band members stopped by to say hello.

- This is the first time "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" has closed a show

- "Sweetest Thing" was played for the first time since the Elevation tour in 2001

- "Desire" was played electrically for the first time since the ZooTV tour in 1993. (It has been played acoustically since then)

- First show were Bono didn't play any guitar in... well, I haven't seen a stat for that, but it's been close to forever

- New U2 manager Guy Oseary was chatting with fans both outside and inside the venue, and was asking fans who waited in GA how their experience was and if there were any suggestions to make that process better (their old manager Paul McGuinness was very involved in things like that, so it's good to see the new management making the same effort).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
For anyone curious, here's what they played in Vancouver last night, this is cobbled together from U2gigs.com atU2.com and the official forums at U2.com. The band came onstage around 8:00pm local time and finished around 10:30pm local time, with about a five minute intermission in the middle, so the total performance was about two hours and twenty minutes. There was no opening act, a first for a major U2 tour.

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
2. Out Of Control
3. Vertigo
4. I Will Follow
5. Iris (Hold Me Close)
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Song For Someone
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday (new acoustic version)
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Until The End Of The World

(intermission break)

11. Invisible
12. Even Better Than The Real Thing
13. Mysterious Ways
14. Desire
15. Sweetest Thing
16. Every Breaking Wave (Bono & Edge only, with Edge on piano)
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
19. The Troubles
20. With Or Without You

(encore break)

21. City Of Blinding Lights
22. Beautiful Day
23. Where The Streets Have No Name
24. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

little bit of trivia from the night
- 7 songs from "Songs Of Innocence" were played (8 if you include "Invisible" which was the single released early in 2014 during the Super Bowl, and then appeared as a bonus track on the deluxe edition of "Songs of Innocence")
- "Bullet The Blue Sky" had not been played since 2006 (it sat out the entire 360 tour)
- "One" was not played at a regular U2 show for the first time ever since it was written (it's been skipped at charity and one-off performances in the past, but it's been played at every single official U2 show since it was written in 1991)
- No songs were played from their previous album, No Line On The Horizon. Other albums not represented in the opening night include October, Zooropa, Pop and Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1.
- Larry Mullen Jr.'s father died earlier in the week, and Larry flew home to Dublin for the funeral, which was either the night before or morning of the show - he then flew back to Vancouver and arrived a couple hours before the doors opened
- Fans started camping out for the best general admission floor spots starting 3 days early; U2's road crew bought pizza for them one of the nights, and the band members stopped by to say hello.
- This is the first time "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" has closed a show
- "Sweetest Thing" was played for the first time since the Elevation tour in 2001
- "Desire" was played electrically for the first time since the ZooTV tour in 1993. (It has been played acoustically since then)
- First show were Bono didn't play any guitar in... well, I haven't seen a stat for that, but it's been close to forever
- New U2 manager Guy Oseary was chatting with fans both outside and inside the venue, and was asking fans who waited in GA how their experience was and if there were any suggestions to make that process better (their old manager Paul McGuinness was very involved in things like that, so it's good to see the new management making the same effort).
They did play a snippet of Mofo!!!

I'm curious if they will change the set list tonight.

Maybe when loves comes to town for bb king? He passed away yesterday.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Looking for to save my soul..."

I'm curious about tonight's set too. My prediction is that the first set (Miracle through Until the End of the World) will remain the same or very close, and the second half will be about 50% the same and the rest different. I'm guessing Bono will sing a snippet of "When Love Comes To Town" but not the whole song. Would love to hear it!

I really hope "California (There Is No End To Love)" gets played at least semi-regularly. That song has really grown on me since I first heard it and now it's one of my favorites on the album. I'd also love to hear "The Crystal Ballroom" from the deluxe version of the album, I think it's a great track and based on the little bits of tour video from last night, I think they could do an amazing light show to go with it.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Osato said:
They did play a snippet of Mofo!!!

I'm curious if they will change the set list tonight.

Maybe when loves comes to town for bb king? He passed away yesterday.

Josh Steinberg said:
I'm guessing Bono will sing a snippet of "When Love Comes To Town" but not the whole song. Would love to hear it!
According to Stockholm newspapers this morning, that is just what they did. Hope it stays in the set till September when they play here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw a photo of the printed setlist, and it had "When Love Comes To Town - SNIPPET ONLY" written on it - I was so happy to see that they played the full song anyway, and from the YouTube video I saw, they sounded great!

"Miracle Drug" was the real surprise to me, and I absolutely love that song, so I hope that it continues to get played at least every now and then.

The performance on YouTube I saw of "Iris (Hold Me Close)" (can't remember if it was from the first show or second) was outstanding, I liked the song on the record, but it's really coming to life on the stage.

Is it July 18th yet??

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
David, if there's any way you can go, their show has my highest possible recommendation. As a giant crazy megafan I'm obviously biased, but I think they are simply the best at what they do. Somehow they make arenas and stadiums feel like clubs when they want to, and then the rest of the time blow you away with the sheer scale of their music.

If I could afford to quit my job and follow their tour around the world, I would. :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Josh, I used to attend more concerts, but now it has become a rarity for me. That said, if they were coming anywhere near me, I'd make it happen for U2. They are one of my favorite bands. Unfortunately, this tour doesn't seem to have any cities even remotely close to my neck of the woods.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hear you David, I used to see a ton of shows and now it's just a handful every year, mostly my favorites and sure things and far less of new artists or people I don't know as well. My teenage self is probably screaming "sellout!" to me right now.

I think the plan for U2 is to come back next summer and do another swing through Europe in June/July, and then the States after that, and they'll probably do a bunch of places they missed this time. Sucks to have to wait that long, I'd be going crazy if they weren't coming anywhere near me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
I hear you David, I used to see a ton of shows and now it's just a handful every year, mostly my favorites and sure things and far less of new artists or people I don't know as well. My teenage self is probably screaming "sellout!" to me right now.
I think the plan for U2 is to come back next summer and do another swing through Europe in June/July, and then the States after that, and they'll probably do a bunch of places they missed this time. Sucks to have to wait that long, I'd be going crazy if they weren't coming anywhere near me.
I actually like the later shows of the tours. They seem to mix up the set lists even more.

Interesting that no songs from the last album are being played.

I'm hoping for an Atlanta date either this year or next. Maybe the new album will be finished then Too.

When are reissues of rattle and hum and pop coming??
Blu Ray reissue of rattle as well? I didn't get it on Blu Ray before it went out of print.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I imported "Rattle & Hum" from the UK - exact same disc with a different label and region free, definitely the way to go.

I don't think any more dates will be added this year, with the exception of the kinda-sorta-but-not-really announced Dublin shows around Christmastime. I think they want to have the album finished and out for next year, but they've said that so many times and on so many tours that I'm just not gonna believe it until I see it. When "No Line On The Horizon" came out they kept saying they were working on the follow up and that it was going to be come out later in the year and be called "Songs Of Ascent"... and then when Bono broke his back and they delayed the 2010 dates, they said it would be out later that year, and then towards the end of the 360 tour they said it was coming... and then it never happened. They always want to take shorter times between albums and talk about the next one coming out quicker, but manage to take more and more time between releases anyway. Honestly at this point I think there's a 50/50 chance of there ever being a "Songs Of Experience" album - the more they keep saying they want to finish it and have it out, the less I believe it'll actually be that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks