What's new

Onkyo 646/747 (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Won't say much as the price difference is greater than the features difference...

Highlights...

HDMI is now the only video output. There is no support for 720P/1080i over component video(neither AVR lists having upscaling).

747 includes DPL IIz, while curiously the 646 does not.

Out of the box support for Atmos, DTS:X, HDCP 2.2(2 or 3 inputs) and Onkyo calls it HDMI 2.0a for 18g.

Width...is gone.

Both support coax/Toslink, USB and net for Zone 2. At last....AIRPLAY...finally.

Onkyo going all in on separate video processing and audio processing power supplies. That will matter more on up models with preouts.

747 adds THX cert. 4ohm certified. Has 3 HDMI outputs(but when you look at the pic, I only see 2). Zone 3 analog outputs.

(Obviously as of today, since they just went up, things will get corrected. Onkyo tech blurb says the 747 has 3 HDMI out and has Zone 3 with "whole home party mode". The tech blurb and picture don't match each other)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just announced...

NR is supplanted by RZ as upper crust nomenclature...

800/900 will arrive soon.

Other than looking like they mean business...

They include a 5x2 2.2/2.0a matrix(with two additional HDMI inputs for main zone)

Main step up...

Audio and video are on separate power supplies(900 has 3, don't know why, but they are toroidal as well)

Adds component video (and 1 output...)

900 adds parallel ran push/pull.

Both suck enough juice off the wall to be taken seriously. (if I read the photos correctly blown up on a phone. 7.8 and 8.5 amps off the wall)

Industry trend...hopefully not followed by the top model(s)...

Preouts are relegated to main 7.1. Atmos/X have to be AVR driven(even Yamaha's top flight 3050 is limited this way. I've only seen a 900 in person...I do know the rest of the models forthcoming...but can't say anything yet. Hopefully the top model has 11 preouts. If not...sad industry trend...or possibly a Dolby requirement....)

(for the record, I've already ordered the top model. If I find out it is relegated to 7.1 preout...I'll cancel and swap to a prepro...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks