What's new

HELP on HDMI splitter, for two displays (hdcp issues?) (1 Viewer)

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
HDMI SPLITTER to use other TV for Cable.

I have a 7.1 Yamaha RX-V675 receiver. (Connected to Main TV) ZONE 1

I have TWO 46" Samsung TV's. (Main room, new Samsung UN46H5302, and a Samsung UN46A750 in Master Bedroom)

I also have Time-Warner cable. I want to have two displays from the main TV source.

Do I need Powered, or passive? Just need one input, two outputs.

The newer TV I think does support HDCP, but not the older one, so does it matter that I get one that is not HDCP compliant?

The Main TV is connected to my Time-Warner Cable box in Living Room. (Main, w/Surround)

My Sony BDP-350. Blu-Ray is also connected to this A/V receiver.

So instead of running soon to be antiquated coaxial cable, I thought I could try this.....

.....Buy a HDMI splitter, one input, two outputs. The splitter I've seen ate the passive 6.00 ones from Monoprice, it has a male, attached to two females, but some boxes I've seen only had three ports...one IN, and two OUT.

In this case, I would buy a short male-male HDMI to run from the Splitter's HDMI IN, and into the Yamaha's HDMI IN, and attach the other OUTPUTS 1,2, in the other older TV, and the other, into the 50' cable to my older TV.

(1) MAIN TV - Time-Warner HDMI Cable.

(2) MASTER BEDROOM - 50' Redmere HDMI into the second input.

I went to Monoprice, and first saw this:

#2522 Video/Audio Splitter ~

Then I read a review where this 2522 did not work for someone, so the Monoprice person suggested the one listed below.

PID #8150 ~

BUT....BOTH these cables, "DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP PASS THROUGH, and therefore, IS NOT recommended for use in Home Theater Systems."

Can anyone please tell me, if you know for sure, if I need a powered, or non-powered HDMI Splitter, and does it have to be HDMI compliant?

I'm also running about 50', so the best GA., 22?

Thank You for any suggestions.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hello, and Thank you!
I just called a Video/Audio Store in Anaheim, and he told me he had used both CAT5,6, but he recently changed over to the Monoprice 'REMERE' Cable for distance. The TW cable signal is not the best, so I do not want to waste money if the picture won't make any difference, by adding the cat5, or 6.

He recommended the 'CABERNET SERIES ACTIVE HIGH SPEED REDMERE 40' HDMI CABLE.' Item #9431 ($33.21)

For the HDMI splitter, he suggested the POWERED 'MONOPRICE 2x2 MATRIX SWITCH/SPLITTER Item# 8155 ($38.73)

As long as I can share the display FROM my new smart TV, (in Livingroom) with TWCable, Live TV, Surround, and Blu-Ray, and be able to see the same, on the OTHER Master Bedroom TV, just using the TV speakers.

Maybe I'm making too much of a BIG deal, stressing over which Splitter to get, passive, or powered, 1.3,or 1.4,and if this will work, when the newer TV has HDCP built in, and my older Samsung LN46A750R1F (2009) does not have it, will this make a huge difference? again, Thank You!

still so confused.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I only would like to share the 'display' from one TV, with CableSTB, Surround,Blu-Ray, to another TV display in another room....40' feet away.

I have this:
Yamaha RX-V676 Receiver.
Samsung UN46 H5203AF Smart TV, also an older Samsung LN46A750R1F.
7.1 Hu Sound Ventriloquist surround speakers/sub.

I have TWO 46" Samsung TV's. (Main room, new Samsung UN46H5302, and a Samsung UN46A750R1F, in Master Bedroom)

I also have Time-Warner cable. I want to have two displays from the main TV source.

I was told the POWERED HDMI SPLITTERS were much better, than the PASSIVE, non-powered type.

I Just need one (HDMI IN) input, two HDMI OUT outputs.

The newer TV I think does support HDCP, but not the older one, so does it matter that I get one that is not HDCP compliant?

I saw on monoprice, Cabernet series Active high-speed Redmere 40' cable. (Monoprice #9431)

For the Splitter, (Monoprice Matrix HDMI Switch/Splitter #8155)

Wanted to know of both the cable, and the splitter would achieve what I need to do? Thanks!

I gave Samsung another chance today to redeem themselves, but she apparently confused even more, by telling me. that Samsung DOES NOT recommend any HDMI cables more than 6 FEET!!!! WHAT?

I need 40 feet of 28AWG (or other) high speed HDMI cable, and a powered HDMI Splitter, to share the display, she told me I could not do this, without running into problems.

Anyone with two samsung TV's, tried with success, what I am trying to do? I've talked to Yamaha, Samsung, a few local A/V Home theater people, and unless I hire them to do my job, they will not talk to me. I am just a lowly end-user, trying to make my cancerous life more enjoyable, watching all my programming from one room, to the master bedroom TV display.

Another A/V tech told me they use nothing but Monster cable. great, but first, I'll have to win the LOTTERY, so I could afford it!
Another person told me to look for hdmi cable with SILVER. Oh Boy, I'm ready to give up, before I plunk down $80.00, only to find out that the 40' cable will not work, and also the splitter, is not the right type. I've run 15' feet of HDMI Cable in the wall, with no degradation at all, so why is Samsung telling me this......Is this something new?

Help!!!!! Thanks!
[SIZE=13.3333330154419px] [/SIZE]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can't help you with the maximum length an HDMI cable can be but others on this forum can.

I can answer, however, about Monster Cable. Avoid them. Period. Their cables are no better than cables you can buy from Wal-Mart, Target, Radio Shack, Blue Jeans Cable, Monoprice, etc... for a fraction of the price. All you are doing with an HMDI cable is moving 1s and 0s. No matter how Monster tries to spin the technobabble about their cables, all they are doing is moving 1s and 0s with no better or no less quality than any other HDMI cable.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hi and Thanks!

I agree...X's and O's,

Why am I so confused?
Well, the powered HDMI splitters I was looking at from Monoprice, 1x2 HDMI Splitter #10242, and another one, HDMI with 3D/ 4K support #10249. Strongly recommends using 22awg, 24awg, or active cable.

The REDMERE 'ACTIVE' cable from Monoprice in a 40' length, #9431, but comes in 28awg!

So since the Redmere is an ACTIVE cable, would that be enough to have this work, using either HDMI splitter, with them stating ACTIVE?

I am looking for a good match between a reliable, but not too expensive splitter, and the right type of 40' active HDMI cable, so I can simply watch the same content from the main living room TV, to the bedroom, using main display.

Are there any hints or protocol, on size awg, when hooking up a short 1' HDMI from receiver's HDMI (TV) to the Splitter's IN, then the two OUTS go to (1) the 40' run, and (2) connect to the HDMI main TV display.

This is why I'm conflicted between what the splitter's recommendations are, and the HDMI rules on what to use with using longer runs. :help:

I would think fine. using both high speed HDMI Active cable, along with a powered splitter. it's just needs the correct awg for a 40' run.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hello!

UPDATE! May 18, 2015.

OK, I have finished pulling my hair out, just long enough to write this revised inquiry.....

But I have a feeling, you will be doing the same thing, in reading through this post!

I'm sorry that these things come much easier to some, but I am soo scatterbrained, with a recent death of my dear Mom, I just want to get through this (to me, anyway) complicated connections.

I presently have this:

New 46" Samsung Smart TV (UN46H5203AF, DOES support HDCP.

Yamaha RX-V675 7.1 A/V Receiver. (HDMI-OUT 1(ARC), and HDMI OUT 2.

Sony BDP350 Blu-Ray player.

Time-Warner HD STB.

Everything above, is connected to my Yamaha Receiver.

I also have my older Samsung 46"TV (LN46A750R1F, does NOT support HDCP...I think. 2009)

All I am trying to do, is 'SHARE' the same DISPLAY, from what is in the main Living Room, to the second TV, 40' away. I thought HDMI would be the norm, but other's suggest cate5 Ethernet.

The last I looked, HDMI cable ends, do not fit into an Ethernet cable! I must have this wrong, or misunderstood him. Are the new CATe5, an HDMI looking end?

A chat, with a Monoprice tech support dude, told to go to Monoprice and find HDMI powered Splitters, but both the REDMERE active high speed HDMI cables, and the splitters both have different recommended AWG ratings. I was looking at the Monoprice # 10242, and #10249. One INPUT/TWO OUTPUTS. The 40' cable #9431, but this is 28 AWG.

Then someone else strongly suggested I use cat5e Cable, and can get 50' of this, for less than $8.00. Also, buy the Monoprice' HDMI Extender/1X2 splitter #8158, it costs $94.00. Also, use all 24AWG for all other runs.

(50' from splitter to second TV, using CATe5)

(10' in-wall rated 24AWG from Receiver or STB, to MAIN DISPLAY)

(1' foot length of 24AWG, from Splitter, to Receiver or STB, to MAIN DISPLAY)

Monoprice does not have 40', in CATe5 in 50', so I would have to buy 50'.

******* HE TOLD ME TO CONNECT EVEYTHING INTO THE TIME-WARNER BOX , NOT THE RECEIVER....... REALLY? *********

On the back of my TW Samsung STB, I see these inputs: Cablecard,1394,USB, an optical/digital TOS, and one HDMI PORT. I do not see an Ethernet cable port anywhere.

If so, are there any easy illustrations to guide me, I'm serious, I can not get this straight. Pictures do help, but I had no idea, that losing a parent, will cause my brain to stop working....!

What would be the ideal connection, to get a good signal from main TV, 40' over to the second TV, using Monoprice products, because I need to save money, this is not a HtiB, but a component system, and not a high end, both the receiver, and the surround w/speakers/sub cost $1200.

Again, any illustrations, links, on HOW-TO connect, with which products I will need to accomplish this, and if INDEED, a ETHERNET cable CATe5 can easily connect to an HDMI port, then I will be very appreciative! BUT I don't think so.

Thank You! And thank you for your patience!

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
schan1269, hello,

I have no idea...I heard it from some source, but I just called Samsung, and YES, all the TV's since 2007, have HDCP.

Then, I chatted with monoprice, and that techie suggested I use CATe5/6 Cable for my 40'-50' distance run, INSTEAD of HDMI. He also mentioned I should be connecting everything into Time-Warner HD box, AND NOT THE A/V RECEIVER???? I don't know what he meant by that, when all connections are connected to the a/v receiver......Blu-ray,Time-Warner HD box,and TV display.

OK, I have finished pulling my hair out, just long enough to write this revised inquiry.....

But I have a feeling, you will be doing the same thing, in reading through this post!

I'm sorry that these things come much easier to some, but I am soo scatterbrained, with a recent death of my dear Mom, I just want to get through this (to me, anyway) complicated connections.

I presently have this:

New 46" Samsung Smart TV (UN46H5203AF, DOES support HDCP.

Yamaha RX-V675 7.1 A/V Receiver. (HDMI-OUT 1(ARC), and HDMI OUT 2.

Sony BDP350 Blu-Ray player.

Time-Warner HD STB.

Everything above, is connected to my Yamaha Receiver.

I also have my older Samsung 46"TV (LN46A750R1F, and YES, also supports HDCP!

All I am trying to do, is to 'SHARE' the same DISPLAY, from what is in the main Living Room, to the second TV, 40' away. I thought HDMI would be the norm, but Monoprice suggests the Cat5e Ethernet.

The last I looked, HDMI cable ends, do not fit into an Ethernet cable! I must have this wrong, or misunderstood him. Are the new CATe5, an HDMI looking end?

IN FACT, Samsung also just told me, that there is no physical, or logical way, that a CatE5 cable will ever work for TV, unless it's for a network, or using with computers.

A chat, with a Monoprice tech support dude, told to go to Monoprice and find HDMI powered Splitters, but both the REDMERE active high speed HDMI cables, and the splitters both have different recommended AWG ratings. I was looking at the Monoprice # 10242, and #10249. One INPUT/TWO OUTPUTS. The 40' cable #9431, but this is 28 AWG.

Then someone else strongly suggested I use cat5e Cable, and can get 50' of this, for less than $8.00. Also, buy the Monoprice' HDMI Extender/1X2 splitter #8158, it costs $94.00. Also, use all 24AWG for all other runs.

(50' from splitter to second TV, using CATe5)

(10' in-wall rated 24AWG from Receiver or STB, to MAIN DISPLAY)

(1' foot length of 24AWG, from Splitter, to Receiver or STB, to MAIN DISPLAY)

Monoprice does not have 40', in CATe5 in 50', so I would have to buy 50'.

******* HE TOLD ME TO CONNECT EVEYTHING INTO THE TIME-WARNER BOX , NOT THE RECEIVER....... REALLY? *********

On the back of my TW Samsung STB, I see these inputs: Cablecard,1394,USB, an optical/digital TOS, and one HDMI PORT. I do not see an Ethernet cable port anywhere.

If so, are there any easy illustrations to guide me, I'm serious, I can not get this straight. Pictures do help, but I had no idea, that losing a parent, will cause my brain to stop working....!

What would be the ideal connection, to get a good signal from main TV, 40' over to the second TV, using Monoprice products, because I need to save money, this is not a HtiB, but a component system, and not a high end, both the receiver, and the surround w/speakers/sub cost $1200.

Again, any illustrations, links, suggestions, will be very appreciative!

Thank You! And thank you for your patience! Can this be done, for less than $100.00? if not, then I will simply have no sharing at all. :)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
When you send an hdmi signal over cat5, you use converter boxes at each end. At least one of them is powered. It is not just a passive "long distance" hdmi run with cat5 cabling and hdmi connectors.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I love talking to myself.

Hello,

Monoprice has a HDMI Extender #8158. This kit comes with two splitter-RECEIVERS, not to be confused with my Yamaha RX-V675 A/V receiver.

In order to SHARE a second TV display, I would need to do the following, correct me please, but according to Monoprice:

(1)

TIME-WARNER HD CABLE BOX > 24AWG HDMI CABLE > #8158 SPLITTER. ( 2X I' -2' FOOT EACH)

(2)

FROM THIS MAIN larger SPLITTER, DIVIDES IN TWO, ONE shortie Cat5e, GOES TO ONE SMALL RECEIVER, one end is CAT5E, and other end, is 24AWG HDMI.....connects to MAIN TV DISPLAY CLOSE BY.

(3)

FROM THIS MAIN larger SPLITTER #8158, ALSO USES THE shortie Cat5e, GOES TO ONE SMALL RECEIVER, one end is CAT5E, and other end, is 24AWG HDMI... CONNECTS TO SECOND TV DISPLAY, 40' FEET AWAY.

The recommended 24 AWG is the #8158 HDMI Extender Splitter 1X2, is 24 AWG.

First, Monoprice told me I needed to use the Cat5e for longer 40+ distance runs, then told me about this Extender splitter, and I would have to use Cat5e for both the short runs, between the main splitter box #8158, to either the TW HD Cable, or to the Yamaha receiver, (which application I use) but they told me to prevent degradation, it's better to use the cat5e, into TW Cable box, than to use my Yamaha receiver.

Does it now matter that I WILL NOT BE USING the Cat5e, for the 40'-50' distance, like someone told me earlier? They said it was better fro the signal.

I am only going to use TWO 3' Cat5e cables, between main #8158, and the two smaller splitter-receivers?

So what 24 AWG HDMI cable do I need, for the long 40'- 50' from one of the small splitter/receivers, to 50' away, to second display, since I can NOT use the Cat5e cable.

So, If this #8158 splitter requires a 24AWG size, (or Cat5e), like 24AWG, and since REDMERE ONLY comes in 28AWG, not 24AWG, Is there any HDMI in a 40'-50', that is either REDMERE, or at least pliable like that? If not, can I still use this 24 AWG cable, without incident?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've asked you, repeatedly, why you think the other TV is not HDCP compliant.

Every manufacturer recommends short HDMI cables. They suck over 25 feet...unless...

1. You get a Redmere
2. You buy 5 different HDMI boosters and return the 4 that worked not as well the one that works best.
3. Run it as Cat5e/6(by far...the most reliable)
4. Run a wireless HDMI by buying 5 different ones and returning the 4 that don't work as well as the 1 that works best.

hiroo

Auditioning
Real Name
Collin
Monoprice has the wire gauge as standard text on all of their splitter products. It doesn't mean that a different or smaller AWG won't work; they are just trying to cover their bases with the safest option. I have no proof of this but I highly suspect that they do not for the possibility of Active (Redmere) HDMI cables in their warning.

First off, if you are at all thinking of getting a new receiver, you might consider getting a new receiver that has dual HDMI output. Some of the upper end models have this feature so that people can run a regular TV along with projector, but it would work well for your scenario. This would allow you to eliminate the HDMI splitter and simplify your wiring. If you go this route, then I would just use a regular HDMI from the receiver to the local TV and then try an active HDMI for the longer run to the remote TV.

If you are sticking with your existing equipment, then I would get the HDMI splitter and again using the regular HDMI to the local TV and an active HDMI cable to the remote TV.

Since you have multiple video source devices, the Blu-ray player and the cable box, you will want to put any splitting devices after the receiver so that the switched output will go to the two TVs. If you go with the recommendation to feed directly from the cable box, you will only be able to watch TV and not the Blu-ray player on the remote display.

I don't think that 40 feet is that long of a run in order to justify switching over to the CAT5 cable and the transmit/receiver boxes for this length of run. I would try the options I described above first to see if it works. It will be lower cost and also simpler in terms of the mess of wiring that will be required, especially since that system adds three additional wall wart Power supplies to your system. If something doesn't work, then you can try the other option.

One thing that you should consider is whether you will ever want remote control of the source devices from the room that is farther away. All the options discussed so far only consider the possibility of controlling the source devices from the room where they are located. If your ever watching something from the other TV and want to pies or change channels or select a new show in the DVR, Then you're going to be wanting a way to the remote control signals back to the source room. There are a bunch of ways you can do this, but that's a whole another conversation.

Another big unknown is what will happen if your displays have different resolution capabilities or if you playback a copy protected source like a Blu-ray, how the overall system will react once you have everything wired together with the splitters. It's possible that HDCP might choke at the multiple display devices in the signal path and refuse to play, or the multiple resolutions will throw off everything.

Users who are viewing this thread