What's new

New member needs advice on Plasma display vs. Front Projection (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Everyone!

I would like to welcome member PMF to this forum. He found my thread dealing with the purchase of my Samsung F8500 and felt that he should go the route of plasma himself. Of course, it's a little late in the game as the format has essentially run its course and the top displays are hard to find.

I did find PMF a brand-new Samsung 64F8500 display from a very reputable dealer. Let's just say the price is a couple hundred dollars over $3k. Certainly, those dealers that have any left in stock are taking advantage of the shortage.

I would like the membership to read PMF's message to me and then comment. It seems that he may be willing to spend the money on the Samsung 64F8500 display, but is also questioning front projection as an alternative.

Greetings Mr. Epstein,

I recently joined HTF. We are on the same page, when it comes to friends and viewing experiences. It drives me nuts!!! I had one couple over to view the wonders of a newly restored film on BD; and the husband kept adjusting the colors. In short, he had actually DE saturated the film back to its unrestored image. OMG!!!

As for Plasma vs. LED; I don't get why the consumers eye can't see the difference. I mourn the phasing out of Plasma; which leads to my question for you.

Okay...here's the deal...my finances could never match my sensibilities. If anyone in America should have had a Plasma, it was me. Anyway...I was finally solvent enough to capture the Samsung 8500 Plasma, just last April. Long, long story short...it was sold on the day I had the money. DAMN!!!

Amazon seems to be selling used Samsung 64" 8500 Plasmas. One friend said they are refurbished, but it should be fine. Another friend said not to trust it. So...here is my question. Should I capture the used device from Amazon or should I give up altogether and look at an inexpensive projection display and screen; as I am not sold on the OLED's and the promise of 4K screens has yet to match my idea of what is great.

If you say that I should accept the passing of Plasma and move on, could you tell me what projection displays and screens are equal or better to Plasma?

Fear not, I am saving up for the real deal high-end home theater; which may take another two years. Until then, my pursuits for a Samsung 8500 or inexpensive projection/screen displays are merely to serve as quenchers of thirst, until I can get up and over that hill to HTF heaven.

Many Thanks,
PMF

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I have a Pioneer 60" Kuro plasma which I moved to the bedroom, and my dedicated theater room has an Optoma front projector. Yes, the Kuro is the superior display, but the sheer size of the 119" Optoma trumps the gains in picture quality the Kuro can deliver. My plan is to hang on to both of these displays until the UHD/4k/HDCP2.2/ HDMI 2.0 and UHD Blu Ray mess sorts itself out and there is enough movies in 4k to make it worthwhile.
We're I in your shoes, I'd go for the front projector. A good front projector is going to be far more cinematic than any plasma or LCD/LED. For the first time in my life, my audio system doesn't overwhelm the video and I can truly say I'd rather watch a movie in my space than go out to a theater. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark makes some very good points here.

You really can't beat a top-of-the-line plasma display at the current technology/price level. You are going to get superior picture and deep black levels.

You will somewhat compromise that picture quality with front projection.

However, as Mark pointed out, there is nothing like the cinematic experience front projection offers that you can't get with plasma.

I bought the Samsung 64F8500 about 18 months ago. Once I bought front projection about two months ago, I don't watch the plasma anymore. For me, I like retreating to my basement home theater, sitting in my recliner, and watching a movie image across a 118" screen.

We did find you a Samsung 65F8500. You know the cost.

Front projection may cost you close to or exceed that based on what you purchase.

The best bang-for-the-buck projector is the Epson 5030. It is a 3D projector with plenty of luminance.

I would recommend Carada for screens.

The projector I bought was the Sony 55ES. Now, that is a pricey projector, probably a hint above the Epson in overall picture quality.

I hope others will chime in here. I know there are a lot of front projector owners on this forum. I know you are looking for advice.

Please let us know what you end up doing

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Greetings HTF aficionados,

I would like to thank Vidiot33, Sam Posten and, of course, Ronald Epstein for your helpful and collective inputs.

I have located a brand new Samsung plasma 65F8500 priced at $2,170.00. In the interim, I have learned so much more about front projection, screens and dedicated theaters. It was a research I avoided; mainly because I it's lure and gravitational pull would lead me towards an investment I must resist for the time being. Having a dedicated theater, for my sensibilities, is a no-brainer; but my current budget can not justify the expense for that which is in my mind's eye. It's like kryptonite for me, as my pragmatic side was becoming weaker and weaker when going to home theater stores and involving myself in the conversations from this past week. We love our plasmas; but we also love our wide theatrical screens. Shortly, I will decide upon the 65F8500 as a salve towards saving for my dedicated theater; but then again, such said monies not spent on a plasma could be the very chunk of change saved needed, thus getting me all the sooner to the big, big picture. Thanks, everybody!

- PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Phil,

Before you purchase the Samsung at that price...

Where did you find it at that price?

I want to be certain you are not dealing with a gray market dealer. It almost sounds like you are, and you may be very sorry.

Not trying to put up unnecessary scares your way. It's just that price seems ridiculously low and there are some online retailers I would definitely stay away from (Abes of Maine being one of them).

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm in a bit of a hybrid situation on this issue. I have a front projector, but owing to space constraints, my screen is 64" 16:9. I went with a PJ because, at the time, a 64" flat panel TV was 6000$+ while my PJ was 1600$ (I built my screen and the material costs were under 200$). At that time, my PJ was rated in overall PQ as equal, if not better, to any flat panel TV (save perhaps the top line Pioneer, though they were much more than 6000$ and not as big), though there were better PJs (for a lot more $$$$). I've been quite happy with it (still using it today, eight years later).

I've vacillated on how I would replace my PJ when the time comes. Another PJ? A flat screen TV, now that prices are way down? A 65" plasma would have been just the ticket, though I had a hard time justifying it while the PJ still worked so well. So I thought I'd wait--lo and behold, plasmas are gone (or will be when I finally replace the PJ). I'd love an OLED, but I'd like to know more about its long-term viability. And so far, no 4K LCD TV (and regardless of the "LED" labels, they are ALL LCD, except OLED) has impressed me enough to displace plasma.

If I had to replace my PJ right now, I think I'd hunt high and low for a good plasma (knowing it would not be easy) but I can't swear to it. I really like the non-glass/glossy screen effect from my PJ for movies (seems a lot more like the cinema). For TV programmes, either a TV or PJ works for me. I don't quite know how to put it into words--movies just "feel right" without some sort of glass laid over the image. So I may very well get another PJ, despite the small screen I have (though I have to say, it's only in fora like this where my screen seems "small"--to every single person who comes over, my screen is somewhat to WAAAYYY bigger than what they have at home).

This probably muddled more than clarified anything but, in the end, I would rank my options for the present (if I were currently looking) as PJ first, plasma second, OLED third and LCD fourth (4K or not).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First, to respond to my post #6:

I spoke to Phil (PMF) privately. For obvious reasons, he did not want to disclose on the forum where he found a Samsung 64F8500 for under $2,200.

I mean, under the circumstances that the display is extinct, there should be no way that display can be had at that price anywhere -- at least from a reputable dealer. However, he told me where he was buying it from and I must say, he found a reputable dealer. The set is brand-new, and I doubt he will have any problems returning it should there be any issues.

So congrats to Phil on his new display. I hope he will come back and let us know what he thinks of it.

To respond to Paul in the post above....

I agree it's a tough choice between a PJ and a good plasma at this stage of technology. As I mentioned, I love my Samsung 64F8500. It is the best plasma I have seen --- and it tops the best Panasonic as far as I am concerned. I just watched a tv broadcast yesterday on the display and marveled at the crisp detail in the picture and the inky black levels.

You lose that, somewhat, with projection display. However, as I also stated, if given a choice, I would still opt for the cinematic experience that front projection provides. If you really want to replicate the movie house experience, you can't beat a projector. 3D looks more amazing on a huge projected screen than it does on the best plasma. A projection setup is by far more immersive than watching any standard home display. It is my "go to" choice anytime I want to watch anything.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I bought an Optoma projector last year thinking I might use it on Saturday evenings and perhaps occasionally during the week. However, I now use my plasma TV for a quick look at the news and use the projector daily for film and TV. I don't currently have a dedicated theatre room but it only takes a couple of minutes to set up and focus. I agree with previous posters about the much more cinematic experience than a television.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Certain logistics led to the Plasma slipping through my fingers; but this only marks the end of an inning and not the game, itself.

Be it a Plasma or a Projection system; I would also like to ask Mr. Epstein and HTF members what their thoughts are on the OPPO's.

Thanks,

PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Philip,

Oppo's are AWESOME. Personally, I would not buy any other brand when it comes to a Blu-ray player.

However, that being said, they are expensive and obviously not for everyone.

If anyone is building a home theater on a budget, then I would say that a good brand BD player would be fine.

For those not on as budget minded, looking for a more solid machine with extremely fast load times and exceptional quality through and through -- then an Oppo is for them.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Ronald Epstein said:
Philip,

Oppo's are AWESOME. Personally, I would not buy any other brand when it comes to a Blu-ray player.

However, that being said, they are expensive and obviously not for everyone.

If anyone is building a home theater on a budget, then I would say that a good brand BD player would be fine.

For those not on as budget minded, looking for a more solid machine with extremely fast load times and exceptional quality through and through -- then an Oppo is for them.

its true that the oppo are expensive compared to the lower budget players. my issues with the other players is that they have more of a difficult issue with certain discs. I get more play out of my oppo 93 then I had with any of the other models. on that reason alone I would invest on the player.. I have had my oppo 93 since November 2010.

Jacob

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jacob,

Great point!

Let me add one more...

Oppo is extremely devoted to their customers.

They listen to feedback, and are constantly offering new firmware upgrades thanks to that feedback.

You have a problem and send their support team an email? They will respond very quickly and stick with you until your problem is resolved.

You don't get that with a Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, etc...

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I bought a Panasonic Plasma (st30) brand new, back in 2012 and I'm very pleased with it.

It's in my home theater/man cave and everytime I have people over to watch a movie, they remark how awesome the picture quality is...especially the 3D.

I'm a stickler for picture quality as I also have a C/KU band satellite dish set up which has plenty of HD broadcasts from all over. You haven't seen real broadcast HD until you've seen it directly off a satellite...breathtaking.

I'm glad I didn't hesitate to pick up a Plasma before they all vanished or became the get rich vehicle for rip off artists. I recently saw a "brand new" Panasonic Plasma st30, selling for $500 more than I paid...seriously ??

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If one has the Samsung Plasma 8500; it is said that the Oppo delivers another 20% boost to the established picture quality. True or untrue?

...and if this holds true for Oppo players, then what percentage of boost occurs when marrying this player to projection?

Finally, which Oppo is the best?

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
I love my now ancient (2007) Panasonic, ISF-calibrated 'Pro' Plasma panel (no built-in TV tuner). Loading up the Blade Runner Blu was a jaw-dropping experience after DVD and my previous set.

Like my OPPO DVD and later BD players (two units) it was considered high end value for (relatively) low end money. Similar value can be had with Vandersteen speakers.

Barring break-downs, I'll be holding on to them until UHD is well sorted out. I'll never be an early adopter (read: guinea pig) again, as I did for the not-nearly-ready-for-prime-time Blu-ray format, when every other disc necessitated a firmware update - via a burned disc, for God's sake! I had to send my then state of the art Samsung BD/HD-DVD player back for repair after one such update bricked it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Be it Plasma or Projection, I'm still getting the Oppo.

But, once again, I was just curious if anyone out there can address and roughly estimate the percentage boost an Oppo provides in picture/sound on a Plasma and/or Projection display vs. that of a Plasma and/or Projection display that doesn't have an Oppo feeding it.

- PMF

DaleAV

Agent
PMF said:
Be it Plasma or Projection, I'm still getting the Oppo.

But, once again, I was just curious if anyone out there can address and roughly estimate the percentage boost an Oppo provides in picture/sound on a Plasma and/or Projection display vs. that of a Plasma and/or Projection display that doesn't have an Oppo feeding it.

- PMF

There are many advantages to owning an Oppo, and I believe from a performance standpoint, audio is a bigger factor than video. Don't get me wrong, while the video from the latest models is pristine. I don't think it is superior to a higher end Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic to the degree it will be noticeable when reproduced on properly calibrated Plasma or FP. I am not sure the built in Darbee against an outboard Darbee will provide a significant enough difference either. That's my personal take on it.

I hope when VE does their shootout which I think is this weekend (?) that they have an 8500 on the wall for comparison/reference.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
PMF said:
If one has the Samsung Plasma 8500; it is said that the Oppo delivers another 20% boost to the established picture quality. True or untrue?

Not at all. I have an Oppo 93 and it's great, but the reality is that there's almost no perceptible difference between players when playing back blu-ray discs. The Oppo does do a better job of upscaling DVDs than many other players, but much of that comes town to personal preference. Even there, I'd say the difference is nowhere on the order of 20% - probably closer to 5-10%.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks