What's new

The Films Kirk Douglas is Proudest Of (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In December, Kirk Douglas wrote an article for the Huffington Post highlighting the films he's most proud of.

It's worth reading in its entirety, but here's the list without the commentary, in chronological order:
  • The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)
  • Champion (1949)
  • Ace in the Hole (1951)
  • The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)
  • Act of Love (1953)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
  • The Indian Fighter (1955)
  • Lust for Life (1956)
  • Paths of Glory (1957)
  • Spartacus (1960)
  • Lonely Are the Brave (1962)
  • Seven Days in May (1964)
  • Bonus: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) (ie. the film he wished he'd been able to make)
What an incredible career.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Great article. Thanks for the link Adam.

Paths of Glory, Spartacus and Ace In The Hole are among my all-time favourite films, and I love Lust For Life and several more of his films, but I've never seen Lonely Are The Brave, which Mr Douglas rates as his absolute favourite.

I just did a search for this on Blu and found that Koch Media, Germany has released it. It supports English language and sub-titles, but is marked Region B, which suits me, but may not be playable for US players. I'm definitely going to order this Blu. For anyone else interested, the link via Amazon Germany is here:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00AQZWZ0M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Douglas wrote a book a couple years ago about making Spartacus that's definitely worth a read!

Thanks for sharing the article!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In addition to Out of the Past, I was kind of surprised to see The Indian Fighter on the list, and not, say, Last Train From Gun Hill, Gunfight at the OK Corral and The Vikings. In any case, Mr. Douglas has many films of which to be quite proud!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
David_B_K said:
In addition to Out of the Past, I was kind of surprised to see The Indian Fighter on the list, and not, say, Last Train From Gun Hill, Gunfight at the OK Corral and The Vikings. In any case, Mr. Douglas has many films of which to be quite proud!
Maybe that's one yardstick to measure a film career by - i.e. the number of exceptional movies they made that don't even make it into their own top dozen!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember him talking about his least favorite on one of the shows, maybe Letterman? Years ago... The Big Trees!

I just bought The Villain. Haven't seen it in many a years. Hopefully that's not a least for him too since it means a lot to me regardless if it's aged well or not. saw it with mom when it came out. we loved it.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think he made The Big Trees for free to get out of his contract. It used to show up on the Late Show when I Was a kid; haven't seen it since.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I just read an interview with Orson Welles from 1958 where the subject of Kubrick came up and he praised THE KILLING but trashed PATHS OF GLORY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks