What's new

THE WHISTLER on Columbia Classics (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Classic Flix is reporting that two entries in the Columbia film series of the 1940's, THE WHISTLER, are headed to DVD. The only date given is when Classic Flix will have them available, May 26.

The films are the first movie in the series, THE WHISTLER (1944) and the third film THE POWER OF THE WHISTLER (1945). Though the films in the series are stand alone stories and do not feature any continuity or recurring characters other than the titular narrator, it's strange that they did not release the first two films in order. This harkens back to other series films Columbia Classics has randomly released with no rhyme or reason such as THE LONE WOLF and JUNGLE JIM.

What's disappointing is that this is one of the finest film series ever done and Columbia could have easily done a nice, complete four disc package with two movies per disc.

http://classicflix.com/COLUMBIA-CLASSICS-The-Whistler-and-Sequel-Debut-on-DVD-an-31225.html

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
At this point I'm just glad the line is still breathing. It's really been straggling this year.

But you're right, they haven't been very good with their B-movie series in this regard. They'd much more likely make a better profit if they released full or partial collections of these. Also been an issue with their Boston Blackie films. Because most of the film series they been doing remain incomplete.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the heads up, Glen. Insane pricing - BD price for a 60 minute movie. I agree that these would have done very well back in the day as a box set. Mike S hit the nail on the head in the other thread when he talked about the woman who destroyed Columbia's classics line because she hated old movies. The Whistler and Crime Doctor were some of the finest series of their era.

Since these are DVD-R I'll stick with my TCM burned discs

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered mine on Amazon and will be delivered on Monday :)

Im sure these will look much better than the black market releases. I also agree that as a set it might have been wiser to release them , but it is also possible that Sony simply is testing the waters to see how well these two sell before going forward with more. There are also other factors Im sure such as film elements.. but I think *will these sell?* is front and foremost :)

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
I ordered both about a month ago from ImportCDs and they have been shipped. I am glad to get these films in any way as an official release-the bootlegs are not good.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, the best thing about these releases is that the transfers are very high quality, which makes the steep prices easier to deal with.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I have excellent copies from TCM on DVD-R which I made myself so I know the quality is superb. That eases my stress in having to have these at full price now, but at some point I would like to get the official releases since I know Columbia does good transfers. TCM has done a great job of showing quality prints for this series and I believe they have aired all of them a few times, though I might be missing one or two and can't say without checking. Anyway, I'll have to be content with those copies until the price comes down a bit on these releases.

And as Steve O alluded to above, I would love to have the entire LONE WOLF and CRIME DOCTOR series released. I have the whole of the latter from TCM and a fairly good copy from an old VHS of the one title that I think is tied up in litigation and TCM never shows. But the LONE WOLF set I compiled from TCM is missing a few titles.

I'm a big fan of series films, they were the television of their day, and I love that Warners has done such an admirable job of releasing their titles through the Archive. I wish Columbia would follow their lead, but it appears never to be.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Professor Echo said:
I have excellent copies from TCM on DVD-R which I made myself so I know the quality is superb. That eases my stress in having to have these at full price now, but at some point I would like to get the official releases since I know Columbia does good transfers. TCM has done a great job of showing quality prints for this series and I believe they have aired all of them a few times, though I might be missing one or two and can't say without checking. Anyway, I'll have to be content with those copies until the price comes down a bit on these releases.

And as Steve O alluded to above, I would love to have the entire LONE WOLF and CRIME DOCTOR series released. I have the whole of the latter from TCM and a fairly good copy from an old VHS of the one title that I think is tied up in litigation and TCM never shows. But the LONE WOLF set I compiled from TCM is missing a few titles.

I'm a big fan of series films, they were the television of their day, and I love that Warners has done such an admirable job of releasing their titles through the Archive. I wish Columbia would follow their lead, but it appears never to be.
A little more William Castle on DVD and Blu-ray can't hurt.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was very pleased with the Whistler.. good stuff from Sony. I wonder if they might do the rest of them at some point

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
That's good news. Both that they are going to continue with Whistler releases instead of just leaving the consumer hanging, and that the Columbia Classics MOD line is still alive.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
While I can't recall which ones, TWO of the "Whistler" series films are tied up in some rights issues due to being based on Radio Scripts and have been pulled from the TV package years ago. This is why they never ran on TCM or GetTV.

In fact, they couldn't even show them at a William Castle Retrospective a few years ago.

Oh, they exist and are safe and sound in Culver City. (16mm dupes are running around "collector's circles" )

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Feliz said:
Importcds is showing "Voice of the Whistler" number 4 in the series for release on 6/2/2015

http://www.importcds.com/voice-of-the-whistler/043396463271
Ill get this one too when Amazon lists it.. one by one theyre coming. I should probably watch the ones I havent seen to make sure I want the entire collection although it sounds like two of them might be difficult to license :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks