What's new

3D Regarding missing Universal 3-D titles (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Universal could not have any idea how successful their 3-D release of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was. It was originally, and for over a year I think, available only as part of an 8-title monster series box set, and the 3-D version was actually a bonus feature! And after it's individual release, they wouldn't be able to guage the success of this title, as anyone who was a 3-D fan had already bought it in the box set, having no idea whether it would come out as a single. My suspicion is that the individual release was probably a bust.

I think IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and anything thing else they own from the classic 3-D era would do quite well. Not gangbusters, like a recent action thriller, but damn, I wish these executives had among them at least one true classic film fan who would advocate for these titles. The two I mention would go a long distance toward filling in the classic 3-D gaps on Blu-ray. If only they would produce a sci-fi box set similar to their monster set, and include Blu-rays of INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, THIS ISLAND EARTH, MONOLITH MONSTERS, TARANTULA, THE LAND UNKNOWN, plus these two 2D/3D titles, I can't imagine they would go broke. Did the monsters set die a horrible retail death? I didn't get that impression.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I bought the individual release of Creature from the Black Lagoon. I'd been meaning to order it online, but then I just found it at retail one day and couldn't help myself. I already had many of the box set titles on dvd.

Since then I've seen it as a steelbook release, and contemplated picking it up. There's been talk of a remake, which might boost sales. Ideally I'd like a boxset of the Creature trilogy with 3D on the first two. I don't like double dipping, but I'd buy it again for that.

Why 'It Came from Outer Space' isn't on 3D Blu-ray yet is a mystery to me. I think it'd do quite well. Clips of it were seen in the recent animated 3D movie Escape from Planet Earth. I'd welcome your sci-fi boxset idea.

I'd also like to see The Glass Web, but I think that's more of a long shot.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think you're totally right about the single disc release not being an accurate gauge of how many people wanted or bought this title.

The UK got a single release at the same time as the US boxed set release, so I imported the UK version. Later on, the monsters box set was onsale at a great price so I picked that up and sold my UK single.

So "Creature" is a movie I've bought twice on Blu, but never the US single release.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Dick said:
Universal could not have any idea how successful their 3-D release of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was. It was originally, and for over a year I think, available only as part of an 8-title monster series box set, and the 3-D version was actually a bonus feature! And after it's individual release, they wouldn't be able to guage the success of this title, as anyone who was a 3-D fan had already bought it in the box set, having no idea whether it would come out as a single. My suspicion is that the individual release was probably a bust.

I don't think it was a bust, as the first single release (which was the one I purchased) completely sold out. It was then re-released with new cover art. If it was a bust, they wouldn't bother putting out a second pressing with a new jacket.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
ChristianLiemke said:
German label Koch Media will release Jack Arnolds "Revenge of the Creature" on Blu-ray in August 2015. Unfortunately this disc will contain the 3D version only in standard definition. Missed opportunity.

I thought 3D Blu-rays were standard definition. Mine display 3D but not in HD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
StephenDH said:
I thought 3D Blu-rays were standard definition. Mine display 3D but not in HD.

You must have a passive 3D system which halves the 1080p resolution for each eye. Those of us with active 3D systems get the full 1080p in both eyes.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
ChristianLiemke said:
German label Koch Media will release Jack Arnolds "Revenge of the Creature" on Blu-ray in August 2015. Unfortunately this disc will contain the 3D version only in standard definition. Missed opportunity.
Worse still, according to the posted artwork, this may be an anaglyphic version. :\

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Matt Hough said:
You must have a passive 3D system which halves the 1080p resolution for each eye. Those of us with active 3D systems get the full 1080p in both eyes.

I do. The expensive and relatively heavy active specs were the deciding factor. I have more pairs of passive specs than I have shirts,

Paul Byrne

Auditioning
Todd J Moore said:
Anyone know how we can confirm if Revenge the Creature is going to be anaglyphic?

I read on a German forum Michael from the compamy said that the company there is no 3D masters of Revenge of The Creature and It Came from Outer Space so its just blu ray with red/blue versions with 3D cardboard glasses.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Is it me or are all anaglyph 3d movies poor quality or does it vary from film to film.

Friday the 13th Bluray in standard 3d was dreadful . I could only watch a couple of minutes.

All the anaglyph 3d films I have all have double imaging much of the time. Barely watchable

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
youworkmen said:
Is it me or are all anaglyph 3d movies poor quality or does it vary from film to film.

Friday the 13th Bluray in standard 3d was dreadful . I could only watch a couple of minutes.

All the anaglyph 3d films I have all have double imaging much of the time. Barely watchable

I think in general anaglyph is a poor quality way of presenting movies. For still images it's not as bad, especially if it's a black and white image instead of color.

I've seen a few black & white anaglyph 3D movies and those were kinda sorta almost watchable - the anaglyph copy of "Creature From The Black Lagoon" I used to have wasn't terrible. But I find the ones in color (like the Friday the 13th Part 3 anaglyph) to be almost painful to watch.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
StephenDH said:
I do. The expensive and relatively heavy active specs were the deciding factor. I have more pairs of passive specs than I have shirts,

Incidentally, you're still viewing each image at higher than SD because only the vertical resolution is halved. On a passive HD set you'll be seeing 1,920 x 540 per eye. Personally, I decided the benefits of this outweigh the downside. With a 4k/UHD passive set, you'd get full HD 3-D.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Paul Byrne said:
I read on a German forum Michael from the compamy said that the company there is no 3D masters of Revenge of The Creature and It Came from Outer Space so its just blu ray with red/blue versions with 3D cardboard glasses.
It's a real shame Universal went to the trouble of creating a HD master, but neglected to scan both eye-views while they were at it. Does not bode well for the other Universal 3-D features.

In theory, since it's a B&W movie it'd be possible to seperate the eye-views on the SD anaglyph. ... there's a guy who claims to have produced a pseudo-HD 3-D version of Friday the 13th part III, by combining the HD release with an upscaled SD source of the other eyeview. Of course that'd never happen on a legitimate release.

ChristianLiemke said:
I thought it was clear that standard definition means that the 3D version will be anaglyphic. But the cover shows it clearly: http://www.kochmedia-film.de/blu-ray/details/view/film/die_rache_des_ungeheuers_blu_ray/
Such a missed opportunity, it's a great cover they went with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks