What's new

Review paralysis (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
We are in the market for our first hdtv. We were looking at a few tvs, and so I went to the Internet to read reviews. The problem I'm finding is he more reviews I read, the more uncertain I become in my choice. Every TV is both the best and worst TV anyone has ever bought. It's so confusing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That just means that you can probably buy most any TV and be happy. I buy on price and features I want. Reviews are only a minor consideration. I've bought a couple items based on reviews and been disappointed.

If you're waiting until you find a model with 100% raves, you'll likely never make a purchase.

Go ahead and take the plunge. Try and purchase somewhere that has a friendly return policy (like Costco) in case you discover after a few weeks use that you really don't like that model.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Agreed, reviews are a guide not a religion, don't get too caught up in them. Buy what looks good to you and has the features you want and never read a review on that model again.

heatsink101

Auditioning
Real Name
Hermy
Scott Burke said:
We are in the market for our first hdtv. We were looking at a few tvs, and so I went to the Internet to read reviews. The problem I'm finding is he more reviews I read, the more uncertain I become in my choice. Every TV is both the best and worst TV anyone has ever bought. It's so confusing.

Yeah that'll happen. Especially if you look on Amazon. Even the best products out there in any category have a slew of 1-Star Reviews. Just can't avoid that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Totally understand that feeling! I think reviews are great up to a certain point, but what looks good to your eyes should also count for something. I think if you've seen the TV in action at a local store and like how it looks, as long as it doesn't have 100% negative reviews online where everyone's saying "Don't buy this, it blows up after two weeks," trust your eyes and get what looks good to you.

A lot of places have decent to good return policies. When I got my HDTV from Amazon, I forget the exact terms but it was something like free returns and free return shipping if I didn't like it, as long as the return process was initiated within either 14 or 30 days - that was good enough to make me feel secure about my purchase and when I got it, I liked it so I didn't have to worry about it.

The only time I've ever really been disappointed with a purchase was when I ignored my gut and went with a better reviewed product I hadn't actually seen with my own eyes.

So now I say to heck with it on letting the reviews be everything. They're a good starting point but not everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks