What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
All I can say is Wow. Waiting for the full list. 7 posted so far. Really hoping Barnaby Jones and My Three Sons included.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Barnaby is included!

Dear Ron Reagan,
We've added a news item for "Barnaby Jones" to the site. Here it is: VEI Acquires the Rights to Release More Buddy Ebsen on DVD! - 1:51 PM 5/04/2015
More "Barnaby Jones" DVDs are finally in-the-works. We've got the heads-up info for you, including a general timeframe, only at the TVShowsOnDVD News!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I want to be excited about these upcoming releases.

But VEI's lack of quality control on their dvd discs, has been holding me back on purchasing any further tv season sets released by them. (For example, my VEI/Millennium released season sets of The Mod Squad were a complete nightmare for discs skipping, freezing, pixelating, etc ...).

Hopefully they have their act together this time around.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I called it for Barnaby Jones and Cannon.

I figured VEI licensing them would be the only way they would get released.

Now, the other 10... didn't see that coming. Or the major Monday news dump.

And, with Grace Under Fire and Sister Sister as part of it all, they're now in the sitcom game, so that My Three Sons wish could come true.

/I wonder if the "many more coming" quote in the articles is referring to the other 11 shows mentioned today, or if VEI has even more up their sleeve? Either way, big day for classic TV on DVD news. CBS finally flung open the vault.

Oh, and the full list seems to be

Barnaby Jones

Hotel

Angie

The Parkers

Cannon

The Sentinel

Petrocelli

Martial Law

Grace Under Fire

Sister Sister

Special Unit 2

Matt Houston

with specific news on the shows taking up pretty much all of the current news list at the www.tvshowsondvd.com main page

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I was only wondering about "Hotel" the other day. I checked back into Amazon because I wouldn't mind getting a second copy of Season 1, and it appears to be OOP - perhaps that was a sign?

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
VEI has resurrected some of my very favorite shows from the garbage heap: McMillan and Wife, Equalizer, Diagnosis Murder. Today's news about Cannon and Barnaby Jones is the best Christmas present I have ever received. I'm afraid I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find out it was all a cruel joke, but hats off to VEI for doing their part for classic tv fans.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Amazing news, had this odd feeling 2015 would be a good year... So here it is... :rock:

Barnaby Jones, Hotel, Cannon, Petrocelli and Matt Houston I know for sure I'll get. The Sentinel, could be.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Barnaby Jones probably won't have the CBS remastered quality going forward after season 1. Cannon never got the CBS remastered treatment. At least both series are continuing. I wonder how they will approach it, season by season, or as complete series sets? Based on past history I'm guessing complete series sets. That would probably be best for fans and when considering there were already partial releases available (best for VEI).

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ChrisALM said:
Very happy to see Cannon and Barnaby Jones getting restarted. And I hope we will see other stalled CBS/P shows eventually go this route.

I will miss the CBS remastering, but if this is the only way they will get released then better this then not at all.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
classicmovieguy said:
I haven't dealt with VEI before. Are their discs of good quality?

I have a few of their sets, and while I haven't watched all the disks I've had no problems with those that have been watched. With VEI it is like Shout or most other independents, it primarily depends on the quality of the source material they receive.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I will miss the CBS remastering, too. But like you, I'm thinking it may be the only way to get the rest of these shows. Cannon was never restored, so I don't feel like there is a loss there. However, Barnaby Jones looked great, and I just hope there isn't too much lost in video quality.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
smithbrad said:
Barnaby Jones probably won't have the CBS remastered quality going forward after season 1. Cannon never got the CBS remastered treatment. At least both series are continuing. I wonder how they will approach it, season by season, or as complete series sets? Based on past history I'm guessing complete series sets. That would probably be best for fans and when considering there were already partial releases available (best for VEI).
IIRC, VEI has went the complete series followed by individual releases route that Shout has been doing lately. So in the end, everyone wins.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
classicmovieguy said:
I haven't dealt with VEI before. Are their discs of good quality?

I had a problem with one Mod Squad disc out of the the three seasons, which was easily replaced by getting a new set from Amazon. I had zero problems with any of the Diagnosis Murder sets or the, In Search Of . . . , complete series set.

Others have said there were some problems, so hopefully VEI is aware of that and have made improvements.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The Mod Squad looked fine to me and I believe not all seasons were remastered, but who knows what CBS were doing in the time since last on Barnaby Jones. IIRC, they usually announce HD transfers were made as titles are getting released or are about to be, so that it never said it in their bible doesn't necessarily mean it's not been. But I suspect it may not be and we'll get it as it is, the main thing is it's coming and will hardly look worse than Cannon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks