What's new

Amplifier apparently not receiving an audio signal from an HDMI cable (1 Viewer)

cfuglein

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl Fuglein
I just got some new equipment and hooked it up.

I have a cable box that I hooked via HDMI to an amplifier, then used HDMI to hook to the TV from the amp.

Did the same thing with my blu-ray player - HDMI to the Amplifier, then HDMI to the TV.

Here's the question:

I get NO sound from the amplifier's speakers, but the TV speakers work.

However, if I connect the cable box to the amplifier with an optical cable, and if I connect the DVD player to the amplifier with a digital cable, I'm getting the surround sound I expect from the amplifier's speakers.

Put bluntly, I'm baffled. Can someone explain this to me?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Welcome to the wonders of HDMI. Personally I avoid it like the plague.

HDMI has had at least 2-3 different versions spanning the years it has been available, and often newer and older equipment don’t “play well” together.

Double check your amplifier’s menu to make sure you’ve chosen HDMI as the input source. If that isn’t the problem just leave the digital cables in place.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

cfuglein

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl Fuglein
Wayne - I have to change the input back and forth for the Blu-ray and the cable box, so the input is not the problem. I'll leave the cables in place, that seems to work to what I want, and I'm getting surround sound from both, so I'm happy.

HTF - the audio is passed on to the TV, but I have the TV volume set to 0, and depend on the amp for surround sound, 5.1

Thanks to both of you. I wish there was a good explanation, but I'll settle for the "work around".

Carl

cfuglein

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl Fuglein
Hmmm, this is beginning to make sense now. How can I STOP the amplifier from sending it to the TV? Not sure I saw a button or option for that on my amplifier.

Thanks

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Optical (TOSlink) or coax (SPDIF, "digital audio") are fine for DVD players, but when you move to a BD player, you'll want the audio carried via HDMI. Become familiar with your AVR's manual and setup instructions. Telling us the make and model can enable us to help you further. All AVRs have different setup screens, we can't even guess what yours is like.

As said, turn OFF audio sent to the TV. Unless you want to use audio pass-through and sometimes just watch with the TV and leave the AVR off. Some AVRs support this.

IF you have a BD player (and just said DVD out of habit), some BD players have audio via HDMI as an option, and you had it OFF ... that could be why you didn't hear audio except through the older digital audio outputs. You said "got new equipment" so perhaps you had your player set up that way and forgot to revisit the player's settings with the new equipment. Might do well to reset all settings to factory default on older equipment to let it setup correctly to the new stuff. ,:}

Users who are viewing this thread