What's new

Do I need-want Altec A7 VOTT Speakers. (1 Viewer)

tsihcrana

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny K
I have inherited a set of Altec A7 speakers and thier sound is magnificent. My theater room is large enough for these big boxes but, will I run into trouble trying to find rear speakers that will compliment them? I am afraid that the cost of matching the rest of the system to them may may outweigh the benefit of the A7 VOTT speakers. My Real Question; Are they worth the trouble or should I sell them and use more modern and more modestly priced speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are yours replicas or originals?

Replicas still sell for $1500/pair when not pristine.

Originals sell for double to triple(as how easy it is to copy them, cost remains reasonable...yes $4500 for a pair of speakers is reasonable...given how long you keep speakers)

tsihcrana

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny K
I think these are original speakers from the late 1970s. Operationally perfect. Cosmetically they are 40 year old speakers, but nice. There is no way I can afford to buy three or four more speakers at $700 or more each. If I am going to use these for Front L&F in a 5.1 system what can I use for the other speakers that will compliment the sound and not need a loan to purchase? I'm thinking if I sell them I could purchase an integrated system for the proceeds..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd put em up on Audiogon.

Take 3 pics each, front, top and rear.

I'd start at $6000. $6000 should get some biting. But it also depends what your definition of "looks like a 40yo speaker" is.

Beat up is beat up. Pristine is pristine.

Be it 4 years old or 40.

Put it this way, my 1990-ish BIC V all look like they came out of a box...yesterday.

tsihcrana

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny K
Not pristine by any means but nice and clean. At even a fraction of those prices I can't afford to keep these. I'll look at Audiogon for sure. I appreciate the input, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks