What's new

International The Train coming from Arrow UK (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
It appears Arrow will be releasing this on May 11 with some good extras as well as a reversible cover showing the original poster art. I already have the Twilight Time version but will most likely purchase this one for the extras. It may be region locked though.

U

UseY0ur1llusi0n

Robert Crawford said:
What extras can it have that the TT doesn't to make buying it again on BD worthwhile?
Quite a few, actually.
Burt Lancaster in the Sixties – a newly-filmed interview with Lancaster’s biographer Kate Buford, tracing the actor’s career throughout the decade
French television report on the film’s making, containing interviews with residents of the village of Acquigny who worked as extras
Archive interview with Michel Simon
Footage of The Train’s gala screening in Marseilles
Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Sheldon Hall, illustrated with original stills and artwork

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's not enough for me to justify spending another $20 or so for another BD of the same film. Plus, I say that with The Train being one of my all-time favorite films. I rather spend such monies on a movie I don't already have on BD. I've seen Kate Buford's segments beforehand on another Arrow BD release about Lancaster. It wasn't about his films in the 60s, but I doubt this segment is much better than the audio commentary on TT's release with Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Rather than buy another Blu-ray on The Train I would prefer to put the money towards the purchase of the Blu-ray of COLORS and STATE of GRACE the Sean Penn double feature being released June 1st.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I just sold my TT copy of THE TRAIN at a VERY NICE profit, so I will probably pick up the Arrow version. I love Arrow releases for the most part and helping to support the company as I think they do excellent work.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Someone just posted a caps comparison of the two discs. You all know my feeling about caps - that said, there is not one iota of difference between the Twilight Time and the Arrow, and yet some guy on the other amusing board says in shot 2 you have a little more clarity - then he goes on to say that 98% of people won't notice it. Mind you, he doesn't have the disc, but he pronounces just the same - but I have these things called eyeballs and in the caps he's looking at - NO difference at all, not even 2%. But people so badly want to play these silly games so they can pretend that another label's transfer is better when it is EXACTLY the same. And then the delight of others selling off their Twilight Time so they can make a profit and then purchase the Arrow. I just scratch my well-scratched head, but whatever makes people happy makes people happy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a fan of movies/films not labels that release them on BD. Those labels that I'm happy with their products I'll give them their due respect by purchasing more of their products. That's it!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
haineshisway said:
Someone just posted a caps comparison of the two discs. You all know my feeling about caps - that said, there is not one iota of difference between the Twilight Time and the Arrow, and yet some guy on the other amusing board says in shot 2 you have a little more clarity - then he goes on to say that 98% of people won't notice it. Mind you, he doesn't have the disc, but he pronounces just the same - but I have these things called eyeballs and in the caps he's looking at - NO difference at all, not even 2%. But people so badly want to play these silly games so they can pretend that another label's transfer is better when it is EXACTLY the same. And then the delight of others selling off their Twilight Time so they can make a profit and then purchase the Arrow. I just scratch my well-scratched head, but whatever makes people happy makes people happy.

Yes, I was, in fact, delighted to sell off my copy at a nice profit and buy the Arrow one as I need to save money wherever I can, unlike some who post here and have no idea what such a concept means. And also, unlike some of the higher profile members here who sing the praises of labels unconditionally, I've been more than critical of each and every one, yet there are a few, like Arrow, who have rarely steered me wrong.

Now as two of the people I most dislike on HTF have invaded the International forum, I'll do my best to stick to threads where they are nowhere to be found. As such, adios from this one.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Professor Echo said:
Now as two of the people I most dislike on HTF have invaded the International forum, I'll do my best to stick to threads where they are nowhere to be found. As such, adios from this one.

You should reconsider your tactics. Avoiding an entire forum is unnecessary. Simply place posters you dislike on your ignore list.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Professor Echo said:
Yes, I was, in fact, delighted to sell off my copy at a nice profit and buy the Arrow one as I need to save money wherever I can, unlike some who post here and have no idea what such a concept means. And also, unlike some of the higher profile members here who sing the praises of labels unconditionally, I've been more than critical of each and every one, yet there are a few, like Arrow, who have rarely steered me wrong.

As someone suggests, put me on the ignore list, as I seem to be one of the two people you're talking about. I understand saving money - I do not understand going to the trouble of purchasing the Twilight Time disc, going to the trouble of selling it, and then buying it again to make thirty bucks or whatever. But whatever makes people happy. I mean, if the Twilight Time had been deficient, which it wasn't, or if the Arrow improved on it, which it doesn't, then maybe I'd understand. But I'm just offering up my opinion on things - why, you know, just like everyone else who posts here.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
haineshisway said:
As someone suggests, put me on the ignore list, as I seem to be one of the two people you're talking about. I understand saving money - I do not understand going to the trouble of purchasing the Twilight Time disc, going to the trouble of selling it, and then buying it again to make thirty bucks or whatever. But whatever makes people happy. I mean, if the Twilight Time had been deficient, which it wasn't, or if the Arrow improved on it, which it doesn't, then maybe I'd understand. But I'm just offering up my opinion on things - why, you know, just like everyone else who posts here.

Except that a lot of your posts have an "I'm better than everyone else" air of arrogance about them.

You also appear to go out of your way to blow up the arse of Twilight Time and only when really necessary will admit a TT movie released by someone else is a better version.

But don't worry - you're far from being alone. And on other sites too where "Insiders" post nonsense and comments worthy of ridicule the moderators give them preferential treatment.

Your air of arrogance and condescension is also not unique on this forum.

I'm just offering up my opinions on things - I've had no disagreements with you but I'm spelling it out as the view of an outsider - no offence intended.

I can see the logic if someone has the TT disc and is able to double or triple their money by selling it and replacing it with a disc that has extra features and keeping the profit.

It's one of the positives about the TT business model that most of the time your purchase will always retain and sometimes surpass its value- it's a little bonus that might sway non deciders to buy that TT title.

With Arrow the opposite is true.

I rarely pre-order standard Arrow titles because its not unknown for a new release to be 50% off in a sale within a month.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
youworkmen said:
Except that a lot of your posts have an "I'm better than everyone else" air of arrogance about them.

You also appear to go out of your way to blow up the arse of Twilight Time and only when really necessary will admit a TT movie released by someone else is a better version.

But don't worry - you're far from being alone. And on other sites too where "Insiders" post nonsense and comments worthy of ridicule the moderators give them preferential treatment.

Your air of arrogance and condescension is also not unique on this forum.

I'm just offering up my opinions on things - I've had no disagreements with you but I'm spelling it out as the view of an outsider - no offence intended.

I can see the logic if someone has the TT disc and is able to double or triple their money by selling it and replacing it with a disc that has extra features and keeping the profit.

It's one of the positives about the TT business model that most of the time your purchase will always retain and sometimes surpass its value- it's a little bonus that might sway non deciders to buy that TT title.

With Arrow the opposite is true.

I rarely pre-order standard Arrow titles because its not unknown for a new release to be 50% off in a sale within a month.
Well, sorry, you are being offensive. It's the Internet - one can't help how others interpret or "hear" tone and it's not something that any poster should or need worry about. You find me arrogant and condescending, others don't. I speak my mind, surely - that won't be changing. I offer up opinions just like everyone else - that won't be changing. Do I have some expertise - sure. Should I hide it because someone might think I'm arrogant? No. I don't blow anything up the "arse" of anyone, and I find THAT condescending. I just call it the way I see it. I also find the line "And on other sites too where 'Insiders' post nonsense and comments worthy of ridicule" to be more than condescending. But if you really actually read my posts here, I don't "attack" anyone - I just say I don't understand something but whatever makes one happy makes one happy. Your post is an attack on my character. That's the difference at play here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guys,

We need to stop with the personal comments towards other members. Furthermore, how people spend their monies is not my concern as I made my previous comments from my own personal perspective.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm posting this again "We need to stop with the personal comments towards other members" because its being ignore by a certain poster. If you want to engage that member in a personal manner then do so offline through PM. Thank you.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"NO difference at all, not even 2%."

Hmm, let me see. In your opinion TT's release is top notch, brilliant etc. Now you say that Arrow's release is virtually identical. And we all know that Arrow is also loaded with extras. You're actually giving some nice, positive PR to Arrow's release, thanks!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jari K said:
"NO difference at all, not even 2%."

Hmm, let me see. In your opinion TT's release is top notch, brilliant etc. Now you say that Arrow's release is virtually identical. And we all know that Arrow is also loaded with extras. You're actually giving some nice, positive PR to Arrow's release, thanks!
I thought the Twilight Time release of The Train looked nice. I do not have the Arrow release, as mentioned above. I don't believe I used the word "brilliant" about The Train's quality - that's your word. I've said from the CAPS they look absolutely identical because some poster was trying to say the Arrow was two percent better (not on this board) and I found that to be not only amusing but mind-boggling. Since the Twilight Time disc is OOP the Arrow would be the only alternative at this point - the extras, for ME, are meaningless. So, for those who don't have the Twilight Time, by all means get the Arrow - it's a lovely transfer of an excellent film.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Train is one of my favorite films and I somehow managed to miss the Twilight release.

Unfortunately the Arrow release is listed as Region B, any chance this is incorrect and it's region-free?

Has anyone heard of any talk of another Region A release?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I don't know why people always seem to require that there be a difference between releases of films in different territories. It's pretty clear that in most cases lately, one restoration is done by the rights owner and it is distributed to Criterion or Twilight Time or Arrow or whoever. The only difference in most cases is the compression of the disk itself, which if done properly should be completely transparent.

I can see comparing supplements. The different labels often provide different supplements. There are exceptions of course, but the film transfer itself is often identical from label to label.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks