What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Goodfellas (BD Take 3) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Warners has finally released Mr. Scorsese's Goodfellas, one of our most beloved family films, as a perfect Blu-ray.

Technology changes, and our ability to make presentations better has increased exponentially since Blu-ray first appeared.

Finally, on  a BD-50, with a new 4k scan...

Everything about Goodfellas now looks like film, with grain, black levels, everything in place.

Is this an appropriate upgrade of the 20th Anniversary BD?

Absolutely.

Should everyone who loves the film purchase a copy?

Quite possibly, as the only downside will be who to gift this copy to, if and when the film arrives in UHD.

Worth $27?  Absolutely.

A remarkably filmlike and gorgeous presentation.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very  Highly Recommended

RAH

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
Warners has finally released Mr. Scorsese's Goodfellas, one of our most beloved family films, as a perfect Blu-ray.

Dry humor is my favorite. Funny how?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've given up complaining about double dipping. I knew I was buying this one again when they announced the 4K scan.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I only consider a film double dipping when the only difference is new artwork and a few new bonus features or collectible packaging. This release of Goodfellas a what I call a TRUE BLU Ray release as it should have been from the start. The previous BLUs IMO should have never been released and are just embarrasing. We had this film thrown on a BD 25 with a dated transfer and DVD quality audio. This film which has always been a WB hot seller deserved the best HD experience. We now Finally have that with this release! The artwork is the worst by far for the film but WB finally gave the film a quality release and This is the only BLU Ray version anyone should own. All previous copies are simply coasters for the coffee table.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Thank God WB finally got around to remastering this. I've been waiting...well, ever since I bought the previous BD (in one of its many iterations) and saw how poor the transfer was. Not AWFUL, but just generally "blah." Older scan, lots of macroblocking...the usual culprits. I'd pretty much given up hope that we'd ever get to see this film properly presented on the format. Happy to be wrong, and I can't wait to get my copy. Now if WB can do likewise for A Clockwork Orange (which has already been scanned at 4K), I will be thrilled.

Ah, and as a sidenote, can Mr. Harris confirm or deny the presence (or absence) on this transfer of the infamous vertical line in the scene where Paulie and Jimmy are telling Henry he has to go back home to Karen?

2522_11_zpswbcssjjc.jpg~original

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Oblivion138 said:
Now if WB can do likewise for A Clockwork Orange (which has already been scanned at 4K), I will be thrilled.

I think it's just a matter of time before the rest of the Kubrick movies get new 4K scans too and releases - they badly need them.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Powell&Pressburger said:
I only consider a film double dipping when the only difference is new artwork and a few new bonus features or collectible packaging. This release of Goodfellas a what I call a TRUE BLU Ray release as it should have been from the start. The previous BLUs IMO should have never been released and are just embarrasing. We had this film thrown on a BD 25 with a dated transfer and DVD quality audio. This film which has always been a WB hot seller deserved the best HD experience. We now Finally have that with this release! The artwork is the worst by far for the film but WB finally gave the film a quality release and This is the only BLU Ray version anyone should own. All previous copies are simply coasters for the coffee table.

Uh huh

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oblivion138 said:
Ah, and as a sidenote, can Mr. Harris confirm or deny the presence (or absence) on this transfer of the infamous vertical line in the scene where Paulie and Jimmy are telling Henry he has to go back home to Karen?

2522_11_zpswbcssjjc.jpg~original

It looks like a film emulsion scratch on the original negative, if it's not on too many shots I suppose they could carefully paint it out. I'd think it was there on the cinema prints as well. The film is a true classic, & a really enjoyable one to boot. An automatic purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Billy Batson said:
It looks like a film emulsion scratch on the original negative, if it's not on too many shots I suppose they could carefully paint it out. I'd think it was there on the cinema prints as well. The film is a true classic, & a really enjoyable one to boot. An automatic purchase.

The scratch is probably on the entire 1000' camera role, and while I've not had the time to view the entire film, I'd bet that it was removed by MPI.

RAH

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
one screenshot comparison from facebook someone posted at bluray.com to get a rough idea of the color changes:

YddGn76.jpg

xtGWfxJ.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I take it that the bottom one is the new one. They always seem to boost the contrast these days, & blue up evenings & nights too much. Go out on an evening & look around, it's not blue!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Robert Harris said:
The scratch is probably on the entire 1000' camera role, and while I've not had the time to view the entire film, I'd bet that it was removed by MPI.

RAH
Well that just shattered a few illusions and imaginings.

Mr Harris, Sir, I always envisioned you poring over every square inch of each movie, projected onto large screen. Once or twice the whole way through uninterrupted, then in separate passes, pausing here or there to zoom in on some aspect or other, making copious notes along the way, then finally putting fingers to keyboard, conveying your findings in spare, droll language. But it turns out that you haven't "had the time to view the entire film" prior to your current glowing review.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RMajidi said:
Well that just shattered a few illusions and imaginings.

Mr Harris, Sir, I always envisioned you poring over every square inch of each movie, projected onto large screen. Once or twice the whole way through uninterrupted, then in separate passes, pausing here or there to zoom in on some aspect or other, making copious notes along the way, then finally putting fingers to keyboard, conveying your findings in spare, droll language. But it turns out that you haven't "had the time to view the entire film" prior to your current glowing review.

Correct. If one is seeking information as to scanning quality, stability, color, density, shadow detail, black levels, clean-up and other misc tech matters, a good fifteen to twenty minutes will tell you everything you need to know.

Presuming you know where to look.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Tom Logan said:
Dry humor is my favorite. Funny how?

I took it as "most beloved Family films". To me that's subtle and dry humor, even if it's just in my own mind...

I've also been waiting for this for a long time.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Robert Harris said:
Correct. If one is seeking information as to scanning quality, stability, color, density, shadow detail, black levels, clean-up and other misc tech matters, a good fifteen to twenty minutes will tell you everything you need to know.

Presuming you know where to look.
My apologies. I really ought to start using smiley face emoticons in my posts. Good humoured tongue in cheek ribbing can so often backfire.

Edit: Just the same though, I am grateful for your straight reply as it's helpful and interesting to get a better understanding of your methodology. Thank you.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

There seems to be some concern of this disc looking too teal in color on another forum. I assume no real concerns here? I think people are just so used to DVD which pushed incorrect color because of mastering processes and grading.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Dave H said:
Robert,

There seems to be some concern of this disc looking too teal in color on another forum. I assume no real concerns here? I think people are just so used to DVD which pushed incorrect color because of mastering processes and grading.
There is no concern about teal whatsoever in the other forum.

That was a misunderstanding with some screenshots of Thief posted, where someone thought that it was from Goodfellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks