What's new

DefTech 8040ST and upgrade to StereoMonitor 55 with SuperCube (1 Viewer)

aejonesia

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hi All. I'm currently running DefTech StudioMonitor 55s with a SuperCube 4000. I'm considering upgrading the SM55s to 8040ST towers with built in subs, but wonder whether I'll get an appreciable upgrade in sound. The current setup is great for movies but I don't like the sub/monitor integration when listening to 2-channel music. I auditioned the 8040STs and was blown away, especially when switching back and forth with the SM55s.

DefTech tells me they would recommend the upgrade (surprise) and recommend NOT running LFE to the towers but calling them "large" in my receiver settings.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The SuperTower*'s inclusion of an LFE input is nothing but a gain control. I wish they'd remove it. If you download the owners manul, or read the one in the box, it tells almost plainly..."LFE input is for show".

*All the way back to the originals.

aejonesia

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the reply. It's not clear to me from the manual that the level only works when using the LFE input. 2 connection methods are given with recommended receiver settings. Option one doesn't use the LFE and advises to set speakers to Large and Sub to "no" while option two uses the LFE and says to set speakers to Large and Sub to "yes."

If I'm using a separate sub, I would need to either use LFE for all three speakers, in which case I'm not sure how the towers' subs would get along with the supercube, or skip the LFE on the towers while setting sub to "yes" in which case my receiver will presumably send most or all of the LFE to the separate sub. It's unclear where the crossover point is with my receiver when I set the speakers to "large." Crossover is disabled on any speakers set to large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks