What's new

Projector for College Suite (1 Viewer)

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
Hey guys, my buddies and I are looking to get a projector for the common room of our college suite. I was wondering if anyone could help with our search? The room is approximately 12' by 15' and approximately 8' high. the screen would be on the 15' wall between two doors. the space is approx. 8' long and 8' high. Being on a tight budget we are not looking to spend too much money, but would like to find a decent projector that can produce an HD picture.

Also, how would we set this projector up with our other equipment. We currently have a Denon AVR with 5 hdmi inputs and currently 2 Klipsch tower speakers and 2 JBL loudspeakers. We use a PS4 and XBOX 360 along with the cable supplied by the school. What items would I need in order to hook everything up to the projector?

Thanks so much for your time!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
cotrones said:
Being on a tight budget we are not looking to spend too much money

I would consider the BenQ W1070 to be one of the best projectors that fits a vaguely "tight" budget. There's also a short throw version that can be found if your placement and room geometry dictate it.

cotrones said:
What items would I need in order to hook everything up to the projector?

You don't "hook everything up to the projector" - rather, you will hook all of your sources up to your receiver (using HDMI), then run a single HDMI cable from the receiver's output to an input on the projector (really, it's the same approach you should take regardless of the display technology used).

Depending on how far apart the AVR is from the projector, you may need a lengthy HDMI cable (20 feet or more). Pick one up from monoprice.com (something like this). They are quality cables at a fraction of the cost of anything you'll find at a local retailer.

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
I found an Epson Powerlite 1751 brand new on Craigslist for $300. The guy says that he already has one. I was wondering if this would be a good purchase?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
Sorry guys I have another question. It seems that most of the new projectors are 3D. Are there any that are just as good as these such as the BenQ 1070, just without 3D? I just thought maybe they would make ones without 3D just for people with a lower budget. Thanks again for all of the help!

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
Thanks for all the help Sam! My roommates and I decided we're all going to pitch in more money so that we don't get stuck with a crappy projector.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the Epson 5030 is a great little PJ. It is currently on sale for $1999 and comes with an extra lamp.

What is your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks