What's new

The Game (1997) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

125340_front.jpg

Best Buy Exclusive through July 14th

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Patrick Donahue

lukejosephchung said:
It goes out to GENERAL RETAIL on July 14th, which means you CAN get it by then...read Ron's post a little more carefully my friend...
I was commenting on Best Buy having a period of exclusivity, which was mentioned in the first sentence of the post. The little dig was totally unnecessary in a civil forum like this...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
IMG_2023.JPG

There's no point comparing the Criterion Blu-Ray of "The Game" to the old Polygram DVD, except to be amused by how very far home video standards have progressed. I must say that I found those early days of DVD to be very exciting though, with only a few Columbia titles at first, and Warner "test-marketing" DVD's that you had to live in one of the "test-marketing" areas to buy (no mail orders!), and little companies jumping in with very iffy DVD's but the new player needs to be fed, and LIVE making a big fuss about their first six (I believe) titles, and Polygram with their strange hard-plastic disc-out-the-bottom cases, and Columbia and Universal offering double inventories of DVD's in Amaray or jewel cases, and only a tiny drip-drip-drip of titles, and two-hour movies on DVD's that you had to turn over to watch the whole movie but soon there'll be Reverse Spiral Dual Layer discs so no more flippers, and getting used to how "computerish" (the interfaces and the glitchiness) the discs were compared to laserdisc, and all the non-anamorphic transfers that were at least easier to A-B with your laserdiscs, and when is Fox going to start releasing DVD's, and widescreen and standard on the same disc because some people like to fill the whole screen, and do I buy this on laserdisc or wait for the DVD, and visiting Jeff Ulmer to see his new 65" rear-projection TV and his progressive-scan player was still on order but it was still super-impressive, etc.. God, I had fun. In 2015, the product is much better, cheaper, and easier-to-research-and-order, of course, and the quality of home theatre has gone far beyond what was achievable in 1997, but are we having more actual fun? I mean, sure we are, but ARE WE?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
DIVX was exciting in a good way to exactly nobody back then, as I bet you remember. I don't mean to sidetrack this topic; I'm just suggesting that as ennui-laden Michael Douglas in "The Game" comes to realize, the climb may have been more fun than reaching the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks