What's new

This is pushing my $700 budget... (1 Viewer)

Hayalexis Rodz

Auditioning
I have a $700 budget for a 5.1. Budget for AVR is separate, still debating. I'm in no hurry, since I won't be home until after summer. Is this setup worth it Or I can get something "better" for that price range?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-20-22-27-18.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-20-22-27-18.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 53

dave6284

Grip
Real Name
dave
I also was considering this. But If you have the real estate. I think monitors are a better. Just wish the sats had better Mids...

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
$500 for 5 polk sats is a lot. Are you dead set on Polk? Are you married to getting sats or would you be open to books/towers? I would do like Dave has suggested and reconsider using books because they will blend better with a sub. Are you going to wall mount these or use stands? How large of a space are you going to use this system in?

Hayalexis Rodz

Auditioning
I'm not set on Polk, I just saw the $300 off deal. I'll like to get 2 towers, center and satellites for rear speakers. I'll be using them for everything but mostly music. I do like a good punch for the subwoofer. The size is 12X22 but the house is all concrete with tiles (PR). The satellites (rear) will have to be mounted fom the ceiling, but at the right orientation it sholdn't be an issue.

I just want to get the best sound I can, I've been doing some research and my WAF is set to $1,200 including the AVR. I know Polk are not too bad, but I also trust those brand that are anti-HTIB and are pros at speakers. I just don't know much of this. I can talk Blackhawk and ARMY all day, but not HT...

Thanks guys!!!!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I was thinking the RTi's too Sam but I wanted to be sure he wasn't set on the Sats. Here is what I would do/look at.

AVR - Yamaha RX-V377 $180 Basic 5.1 AVR

Sub - (The Polk you found would be ok) but I would also consider the NGX NX-BAS-500 $270

Speakers - Pick one

Hayalexis Rodz

Auditioning
Thanks for all your help!!! But today, against my will, I went to Best Buy and I loved the B&W 600 series. They go for $550 a pair. I may get those and a B&W center with a Denon and I') be withing the budget. What's another hundred here and there? Right? Is that a good call or I can get something as good for less? Best Buy will try to sell you the best they can, but sometimes they're more affordable options...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I don't know the efficiency of the Polks, but those B&W speakers are woefully inefficient (84/85dB). For small rooms they may suffice, but if you really want to fill your room with high volume, you should look for something more efficient.

Edit: Found a source online that indicates the Polk sensitivity is 89dB, so they require less than half the power of the B&Ws to produce the same SPL.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The B&W is a different animal that the Pio AJ. I harp on the Pio AJ for being "cheap and inefficient".

Compare this B&W to the AJ bookshelf and the B&W can be forgiven. These actually produce bass.

The average AJ buyer is buying a

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hey if you found something you love and have the budget go for it. Nothing says you have to do a 5.1 straight away.

Hayalexis Rodz

Auditioning
Opinions on the Klipsch RB61 2 and matching center CB61? I'm going 3.1 for now. I got an Onkyo 575 today for $290 @ Best Buy. Not great, but it should work fine with 90watts per channel, and I liked all the HDMI inputs and the price. I'm still in the search of the speaker... I like Polk on cars, but IDK about HT.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hayalexis Rodz said:
Opinions on the Klipsch RB61 2 and matching center CB61?

Klipsch makes a good speaker. They are very efficient so they will be LOUD with anything pushing them. However, you need need to go listen to them to make sure you like the horn tweeter. It's a love it or hate it thing so just make sure you a love it kind of person before you buy them. I myself don't like them...I think they are too harsh but that's my taste. Go spend some time at BB and listen to the other Klipsch to see if you like the tweeter...if you do then you're in business.

Hayalexis Rodz

Auditioning
I heard the RB-51 at BB, they didn't had the 61's. I liked the 51's but they are missing something, I think the bigger speaker should be OK. I liked the horns and with a good subwoofer I think I'll be a happy camper (@ least for a couple of years) But I haven't found a single BB that have the subwoofer plugged in and the Bjourns guy keep pushing on the DefTech...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hayalexis Rodz said:
I heard the RB-51 at BB, they didn't had the 61's. I liked the 51's but they are missing something, I think the bigger speaker should be OK. I liked the horns and with a good subwoofer I think I'll be a happy camper (@ least for a couple of years) But I haven't found a single BB that have the subwoofer plugged in and the Bjourns guy keep pushing on the DefTech...
Energy and Klipsch (with the dearly departed Mirage) are the same company.

Polk and Def Tech are the same.

Like furniture, speakers have uber markup. But, they should. You only (should be) buy them every few decades...if done right.

Sales people push profit margin products(of course they do).

BB sucks. Magnolia is no better. A proper demo is at home. Take a pair of 51 and 61 home. Decide which you can live with.

Tom V has stated(about eD subs) that pricing yourself too low is not a long term strategy.

Buy what will make you happy for 20 years. Buy with that mindset.

Look around Audiogon for used stuff. The "bought with the mindset of keeping it 10+ years" stuff tends to re-sell in days.

Look on ebay for entry level stuff bought to upgrade in a year. How much of that stuff is re-listed...over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks