What's new

I Love Lucy Season 2 on Blu Ray in July (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Blu-Ray pricing is unfortunately, too dear for us, though I understand the previous I LOVE LUCY Season Sets that we own are a bit less than complete/original. However, if the 2012 DVD Sets have the same Original "Night of Broadcast" Episodes as the Blu-Ray Sets, I might be interested in acquiring those!

CHEERS! :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MatthewA said:
That pattern isn't much different from the way the DVD sets came out. They're taking their time with these.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm not jumping on these. The price is one factor, but the release schedule is too slow. Odds are CBS will be out of the blu ray game before the series is finished.

Tony Bensley said:
The Blu-Ray pricing is unfortunately, too dear for us, though I understand the previous I LOVE LUCY Season Sets that we own are a bit less than complete/original. However, if the 2012 DVD Sets have the same Original "Night of Broadcast" Episodes as the Blu-Ray Sets, I might be interested in acquiring those!

The episodes are complete, with the exception of a movie clip cut out of one episode from the Hollywood stretch.

No, the episodes by and large don't have the original animated Phillip Morris and company openings restored to them, but they're available as extras. Season 6 does give you the option to restore the original openings, though.

Otherwise, the series proper is complete. The only real issues with stupid edits and episodes not being restored to original broadcast versions was the horrible Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour set, which included syndicated edits and the edited scenes as bonus features, for some reason.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is there a MSRP yet?

Pleasantly surprised to see this continuing, but I hope they get more realistic with their prices. Too bad there's no season 2 release for The Andy Griffith Show, since I'd like to see that one continue as well, at least through the Barney era.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
CBS was probably watching the sales of the first season Blu-ray before getting the second season into the schedule. Has the first season sold well?

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
LeoA said:
Is there a MSRP yet?

Pleasantly surprised to see this continuing, but I hope they get more realistic with their prices. Too bad there's no season 2 release for The Andy Griffith Show, since I'd like to see that one continue as well, at least through the Barney era.
No price yet but I agree that the price was too high for season 1 which I bought but wasn't thrilled with the picture quality. Batman and Hart to Hart from Shout had better picture quality than the Lucy Blu Ray release and especially the Little House on the Prairie Blu Ray with a much lower price.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I'm kind of shocked this is coming out. I bought season 1 and it wasn't cheap. But I think to what others have said it correct it will be a slow rollout. Lucy sells always has but I doubt they would ever release more than 1-2 seasons max in one year. Id like them To try for 2 seasons per year I think more seasons in one year helps sales otherwise consumers get scared of stalled compete series releases. In fact I was about ready to sell off my season 1 set and be done with buying future seasons. I'll wait for image quality reviews for S2 before buying I know some wanted better quality for S1.

First season has a retail of 124.99 and even on sale CBS needs to show that quality for the money.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'll pass on season 2. I have season 1 and will enjoy it for providing the original openings and extras, but this is a case of having watched so much ILL growing up that the interest just isn't strong enough at the price point CBS will most likely demand to upgrade from the DVD's. As someone else once said on here about ILL, one almost feels obligated in a way to have it in the collection based on its significance as a classic, regardless on whether it gets watched very often. That pretty much sums up ILL for me.

Now TAGS I've seen probably as often but I can pretty much flip in a disk and watch it anytime. It never gets old for me. At least the first five years which is all I own on DVD. I'll be happy to upgrade this one and i won't be in any hurry so once a year is fine with me. I'll wait for sub $50 pricing per season.

One difficulty I think CBS has with these releases and their pricing scheme has to do with the differences in quality between the DVD and blu-ray releases. It just isn't as much as many would hope. A simple but important reason, in my opinion, is due to the quality of the DVD's themselves coming from downgraded HD masters. When the same high quality masters are used for both the differences just aren't as dramatic as we are accustomed to seeing with some other releases. For example, the LHOTP blu-ray releases aren't perfect, but the prints used for the original DVD releases were so poor it magnifies the improvement in the blu-rays. That's probably why CBS is really trying to push the extras on these releases to try and justify a higher price point and get the biggest fans to upgrade.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Season 1 in Blu Ray is stilling running at a price of 42 dollars…thats still way too much. I really hope season 2 is better video quality wise …I am going to wait and see reviews on it before I decide whether or not to buy it. Id rather have some on color instead...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
On the Steve Hoffman forums I read that on a Lucy board one of the individuals working on ILL BDs said that sales of all 3 series on BD were disappointing with The Honeymooners selling the most (but not good) and then ILL and TAGS third with abysmal sales. CBS is aware that price was an issue. It was also said that if season two of Lucy doesn't sell there won't be a S3.

In my opinion The Honeymooners coming in first is likely a factor of it being a complete series release plus a DVD release that was seen as relatively subpar.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Pay the exorbitant amount again or they won't charge you the exorbitant amount for season 3!

Or teach CBS a lesson and just buy the very reasonably priced DVDs. So you won't see the texture in Fred's trousers, who cares?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
bigshot said:
Pay the exorbitant amount again or they won't charge you the exorbitant amount for season 3!

Or teach CBS a lesson and just buy the very reasonably priced DVDs. So you won't see the texture in Fred's trousers, who cares?
I was as big of a critic of CBS' pricing as anyone but by your logic, I should just buy the old VHS tapes on eBay because they'd be even cheaper than the DVDs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In my opinion, part of the problem with the I LOVE LUCY Blu-Ray sets is that the ILL Series has already had 2 previous DVD issues (Besides the previous separate season sets and "Best Of's!"), the last just within the past 3 years. Consumers are only going to double dip so much, especially at such a high price point! Oh, and top it off with the threat from CBS of not issuing further Blus past Season 2, if sales don't pick up? The Fans are just going to love being stuck with not being able to complete their I LOVE LUCY Blu-Ray Series Collection after having paid top dollar for the first two seasons, Huh, Ho!

As for me, I think that I'll just stick with the Original individual 00' era issued DVD Season sets !

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm definitely in for S2 on blu. I loved the S1 set and thought the digital work they did on the eps was terrific. Plus, to me, the refusal to buy a season just in case the whole series isn't put out is strange. To me, it's about having these eps in blu-ray quality, not collecting a set. I don't see what having future seasons on blu-ray has to do with having these 2 seasons. But to each his own. I certainly understand people not wanting to pay the retail price, though.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
JohnMor said:
I'm definitely in for S2 on blu. I loved the S1 set and thought the digital work they did on the eps was terrific. Plus, to me, the refusal to buy a season just in case the whole series isn't put out is strange. To me, it's about having these eps in blu-ray quality, not collecting a set. I don't see what having future seasons on blu-ray has to do with having these 2 seasons. But to each his own. I certainly understand people not wanting to pay the retail price, though.
I totally agree with your take on this. At one point last year cbs had indicated no plans for season two of Lucy or Andy on bluray but I understand that work was already well underway on season two of Lucy before that decision was made which may have forced cbs to release it rather than eat the dollars already spent on work done on season 2. In any case I would be satisfied with whatever gets released on bluray even if season 2 is the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks