What's new

new to this, need your help my dudes. (1 Viewer)

Ratan Servegar

Auditioning
Hi, i am new to the whole home theater party.. i am currently in the process of building a new house and plan on having a dedicated room for a home theater. so here is where you guys come in and help me out with a couple of questions that i have and cant figure out via google.

1. i want to have a 130+ inch display/screen size but i am from INDIA and finding good quality screens is really hard and expensive here. can i just project it on a wall with black borders around it to make it look like a 130+ screen? what do i need to paint the wall with?

2. is 3D projector really worth investing in? i mean i have glass's and i hate how 3D movies at the cinemas make the colors dull. will 3D projectors be the same ?

3. i plan on having a 7.2 audio setup in the room and here is my confusion about amps and speakers. I have a harman/kardon 5.1 AVR with 5 speakers and a sub which is currently in my living room. but i plan on getting bigger speakers the one's you find in pubs etc and putting them in my HT room. my confusion is can i connect bigger speaks and 7 speakers and 2 sub's to my harman/kardon AVR or should i also buy a new AVR that supports bigger speakers and 7.1? i really have no clue about this thing please help.

4. how should i insulate my room for sound damping and also sound proofing so that i dont disturb ppl around me?

5. what else do you suggest?

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Hi: Having owned a 3D projector for awhile now, I would not make 3D a priority and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.
Regarding your AV receiver, you will need to replace it if you want 7.1. I have a 7.1, however, and you can live quite nicely with 5.1, providing you have DTS MA and Dolby Tru HD decides in your Harman Kardon (even if you don't, you can still get good sound, just not state of the art).
If you erecting walls, use 2 5/8 drywall sandwiched together for the inner walls, leave a gap of a few inches and fill with insulation (I used Roxul's SafeNSound). You can also insulate the ceiling. There's are other steps, such as isolation clips, but I'm sure others will chime in. If it's enclosed with a door, use an insulated exterior door, and seal around it. Hope this is helpful, and best of luck!

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
That should have been HD decoders, not decides (texting correction software goofed on this one)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. How much is "too expensive"?

2. Your choice.

3. Larger speakers are generally more efficient...meaning they likely will require less power than what you have now.

4. There is acoustic sheet rock. Can your builder source any?

5. I suggest planning for Atmos/DTS X...even if you don't plan an initial installation using it.

Ratan Servegar

Auditioning
thanks guys. also one more thing i forgot to mention was how far does the projector need to be to project for the above mentioned screen size?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Depends on the projector. Some can be closer, but I would plan on 15-25 feet to fit most projectors.

You should be able to order a screen from China, a company called Grandview screen makes nice screens that Monoprice.com also resells. I would reach out to Grandview via their contact form to see if they ship to India.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ratan Servegar said:
thanks guys. also one more thing i forgot to mention was how far does the projector need to be to project for the above mentioned screen size?
Look for one with a zoom lens. The current lines from Panasonic have them. I had the old AE-900u for a few years and just replaced it with an Epson 8345. I needed both lens shift and zoom because of my mounting location.

Painting a screen is easy. Here's a starter site - http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/home-theater/articles/67084.aspx Over at AVS, there is a section of the forum devoted to screen paints.

Ratan Servegar

Auditioning
Robert_J said:
Look for one with a zoom lens. The current lines from Panasonic have them. I had the old AE-900u for a few years and just replaced it with an Epson 8345. I needed both lens shift and zoom because of my mounting location.

Painting a screen is easy. Here's a starter site - http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/home-theater/articles/67084.aspx Over at AVS, there is a section of the forum devoted to screen paints.
the link u provide doesn't work :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks