What's new

Why doesn't Netflix bother with Olive or Shout! or Kino titles? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can understand why they won't carry Twilight Time, due to the limited edition factor, But none of the companies listed in my header are releasing limited editions (that I am aware of), and Netflix is depriving us of many hundreds of great catalog releases on Blu-ray by not carrying them. Many are titles they don't even carry on DVD right now. Yet, they have about two-thirds of the newer (and older) Criterions on Blu-ray, which if anything are more niche than what we get from the others, so I don't think this is a popularity or a monetary decision either. Has anyone any insight here? There are frequently titles I want to preview prior to purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just assume it's because those companies deal in licensed titles and they don't want the competition with streaming. Nothing more than a guess but when they license titles, maybe part of that deal disallows the studio from making it available via streaming?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Dick is not asking about streaming. He is asking why doesn't Netflix have those discs (Blu-ray and/or DVD) available for rental through their mail service.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
GlennH said:
Dick is not asking about streaming. He is asking why doesn't Netflix have those discs (Blu-ray and/or DVD) available for rental through their mail service.
You're right. I guess that shows how quickly Netflix has made the move from rental to streaming (in my mind anyway).

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I was beginning to think Netflix was giving up on their disc rental service, but I've been assured by them that they are not. I gave up trying to understand their title acquisitions. It seems they have some Criterions immediately and some they never get. I know they didn't have The Black Narcissus Blu-ray for a long time - they still may not have it as far as I know. I can understand that the out of print titles they have are gone once they wear out or are kept by customers, but there are titles that are readily available (mainly catalog DVDs) that have been on my saved list forever. Having said all that, there are still 200 titles in my queue.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Probably a combination of a (perceived) limited interest from their subscribers for these on disc plus the higher than usual cost (and, being that the titles are licensed, the label may not be able to offer a good deal on pricing. Netflix is very tough on pricing).

P

Patrick Donahue

I started my Netflix DVD service back up after YEARS of not using it with the thought of keeping it for a month to watch some titles I had a hard time finding, and was surprised that about 1/3 of the list had been moved to the unavailable section. It feels like Netflix is slowly winding it down by not putting any more $$$ in it than they have to.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Netflix in the recent conference call said they fully expect the disc service to be a round for a long time. I dont believe its winding down as some have suggested. They are being more choosy on which titles they purchase though. Why would they stock a title that gets very little rental action vs spending that money on something that does? Also if I dont see a film on Netflix or one thats been placed in my unavailable que I always still have the option to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks