What's new

Cannot believe this...... (1 Viewer)

Legendary70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rudy
I am very disappointed to of had just notice my infinity sm152 woofer has a one inch cut. I am pretty sure my grandson got to it the other day when my daughter was washing her car. I just had a long talk with my daughter and explained how upset this makes me. These are basically vintage speakers. My family knows how I feel about all my electronics. Going out of my way to take care of my stuff....then this. Just lack of supervision.

Sorry......just upset.

I cannot hear any rattling or distortion coming from the speaker. Thank god!!

Should I leave it alone? Try n fix it. If so how? Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    658.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    654.9 KB · Views: 44

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Sorry to hear about the problem. I can only imagine how upset you are. I'm sure if you Google fixing a torn speaker there may be other methods as well.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I broke one of my step-fathers hand tools once when I was about 7 years old. He berrated me for days, maybe weeks. It was just a stupid tool and I was just a silly kid. Never cared for him too much after that. Still don't :( .

But that's what I like about Infinity's Beta series...metal grills.

If you like the speakers that much you might want to search ebay for replacement parts and stock up. The Vintage area of the Home Audio section always has a good supply of Infinity drivers, tweeters and crossovers, though 15" woofers are a little harder to find.

Legendary70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rudy
ok guys. I am leaning towards the silicone or soft double epoxy mentioned by slippery. But I will not be fixing it until this coming weekend. work is going to be tough this week. no time. any more advice would be great. thx.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Parts Express offers a service that they can recone the driver, but not sure if that applies to all drivers or just their drivers. Might be worth it to check with them. I've also seen woofers repaired with a fabric tape and I used those drivers for years like that without issue.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The cone needs to be stiff while the surround needs to be flexible. I'd repair the cone using CA glue (aka super glue) using the same method in the video above. While glue is still a little flexible when thin. CA will get very stiff and while being strong enough to handle the pressure of the speaker cone movement.

If want repair the surround then some type of soft, latex caulking. I'd refoam it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If repairing it doesn't work out PartsExpress also sells replacement drivers. Choosing the right one might be tricky. You can't always just slap something in and have it sound right. PE might be able to help you decide. An exact replacement from ebay might be the best bet but as I said earlier, the 15" Infinity's are a rare find on the used market.

And not all 15" woofers are the exact same size. Measure yours and compare to what PE recommends. There's no standard sizing like in car audio.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
RTV might work for the surround, but refoaming is a better idea. The driver looks to be treated paper or poly, if poly, CA should work really well. If paper CA might be a 50/50 as to whether or not I'd use it. The ones I had that were repaired with fabirc tape and some type of glue that kept them very stiff, but they were just garage speakers so it wasn't a big deal :)

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
Another option is to send out the driver to Orange County Speaker Repair in Garden Grove, CA., I know you'll have to ship it to them but it would be worth it. You can have it re-coned, then re-edged and they also check impedance, replace the dust cap and clean the voice coil area from dust and their prices are affordable. I had them re-edge my Cello Amati's and they did an awesome job, I recommend them.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like to use the free flowing super glue on untreated paper cones. It will soak in easier. Only a few drops are needed. Any more than that and it flows like water. http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-234796-10-Gram-Bottle-Liquid/dp/B0002YXG78/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429629822&sr=8-3&keywords=loctite+super+glue

I used that exact glue on a 6.5" woofer I bought in 1991. It slipped when I removed it from my wife's car door and a plastic door fastener poked a hole in the cone. 10 minutes later it was playing as good as new.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd use some fiberglass drywall tape on the back side and then glue it down with E-6000 glue. The tape will supply the strength to keep the sides of the tear together while the E-6000 glue will have enough give to flex with the cone. It will also stick to poly and never let go. I use E-6000 to hold speak spiders to the frame. The one below gets pounded on by a 1,000w amp and has held up for 3 years.

DSC01192.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks