What's new

Suprise! Pressed Disks! (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Today I took delivery of seasons six and seven of The FBI from Warner Archives via "The Big River" which I purchased last week.. Opening the case I expected to see the purplish color of "burnt" disks. Instead they were silver. These are Pressed Disks! :biggrin: This isn't unprecedented, as the copies of Shazam! and Space Stars I ordered from W.A. were also pressed, but in this case I wasn't expecting the disks to be pressed, thus catching me by surprise.

Has this happened to others who've purchased "Manufactured On Demand" disks from Warner Archives or others?

Post away my friends.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Most of the TV shows listed as MOD start out as pressed when purchased from WA directly, as well as from several distributors that don't have the ability to burn disks themselves. Since this started, I've refused to buy WA titles from Amazon due to the fact they can burn and most of the time seem to distribute burned copies. WA usually creates a decent supply of pressed disks that they are available for sometime. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the MOD movies, they seem to always be burned disks.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I ordered this set from their "Marketplace", farmed over to Deep Discount, so that's most likely why I got pressed disks. Next week I'll be ordering Seasons eight and nine from them. In July and August I plan to order seasons 1-5, which I have "Alternates" recorded from the Goodlife Channel. Needless to say after I get these copies the 'boots will get the boot from "my little friend" Mr. B.F. Hammerr! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Makes sense. DD is one of the ones that provides pressed disks for the WA. However, I recall that seasons 1 and 2 were made by WA before they started doing pressed disks for MOD, so I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a "purplish" color on one side for those seasons.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
smithbrad said:
Makes sense. DD is one of the ones that provides pressed disks for the WA. However, I recall that seasons 1 and 2 were made by WA before they started doing pressed disks for MOD, so I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a "purplish" color on one side for those seasons.
Thanks for the notice. Burned or pressed, I'm impartial as to how a show is released, as long as the picture quality is good. :thumbs-up-smiley:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
It is just as cost effective for the studios to run short-run pressed DVDs - 300/500/1000 (or more!) and assemble them as needed as it is to do burned on demand.

It's nothing for the studio to budget for say replicate 1000 discs which cost less than $1 each to press! Then hold and assemble as needed.

The two sides MOD and Short-Run press are coming together

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Don't know why you're so surprised. It says right on the WAC product page for season six "Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand."

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Since I ordered it from amazon instead of WAC I didn't realize this announcement had been made. UPDATE: Checking out Deep Discount's Site, their prices for seasons eigh and nine are CHEAPER than "The Big River". I'll be placing an order with them very soon! :biggrin:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I just want to let every one know I took delivery of Seasons eight and nine of The FBI and the didkd were PRESSED. Since I am saving up for my Vacation there will be no more DVD purchases until after I return. I most likely get the first five seasons of The FBI (and introduce the 'boots I have of these to "Mr. B.F. Hammerr". :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks