What's new

3D Star Wars: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Just watched the second teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and was very suprised that it will be presented in 3D. Happy but surprised as I thought Disney's lack of 3D enthusiasm and J.J. Abrams past comments would make this one a the big budget break from 3D I believe Disney would like to see.

Check it out:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, I see Lucasfilm as being on the same footing as Marvel, owned by Disney but free to support 3D.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Lucasfilm didn't seem to support 3D after the disappointment of their lacklustre conversion of Episode I. If the 3D conversion is as good as the last Star Trek movie it should be a great addition to the film.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The existing Star Wars films are distributed by FOX, they may not have wanted to continue with the 3D releases after the Disney buyout. Also Disney probably wanted everyone to focus on future films.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Disney, when all is said and done, is a business, and businesses try to get maximum return on investment. Star Wars is an event property that Disney feels justified in throwing into IMAX theatres and presenting in 3D, because it knows people will pay the premium for the enhanced experience. That's reality.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Stephen_J_H said:
Disney, when all is said and done, is a business, and businesses try to get maximum return on investment. Star Wars is an event property that Disney feels justified in throwing into IMAX theatres and presenting in 3D, because it knows people will pay the premium for the enhanced experience. That's reality.

Cinderella was an event property too but they felt no desire to shoot or convert it to 3D. I think it's a Disney/Lucasfilm division decision to maximize profit as you said. I still believe someone at Disney Studio and definitely at Disney Home Video wants 3D ended now. In the case of Disney Home Video in Region 1 it has already.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember "Return of the Jedi" and "Spacehunter" being out in theaters at the same time- Spacehunter was in 3D but Jedi wasn't, so guess which one I saw first? A Star Wars movie in 3D should be a dream come true (I never saw the Episode I conversion.)

MikeDE

Second Unit
3D would be the only reason I would buy these movies again, but I'd do it in a hearbeat.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I saw a 3d demo on a Mitsubushi TV many years ago, before Blu-ray 3d. Part of it was as conversion to 3D of one of the Star Wars films. It looked pretty impressive back then. Maybe compared to what have now on Blu-ray it wouldn't.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RolandL said:
I saw a 3d demo on a Mitsubushi TV many years ago, before Blu-ray 3d. Part of it was as conversion to 3D of one of the Star Wars films. It looked pretty impressive back then. Maybe compared to what have now on Blu-ray it wouldn't.

I saw that demo as well!. The device came from Texas Instruments and the SW footage did indeed look quite good! It wouldn't surprise me if a current conversion turned out to be less impressive.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If the 3D is done right I will be all over this title :D . I totally need to get more 3D titles as I am only up to two so far. I did not have any reason to get 3D movies till I got my Samsung UN55F9000, before that I had a non 3D Sony Wega.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
SFMike said:
Maybe we can hope for an Asian bootleg as Disney won't release 3D.
It may not have to be a bootleg. There are several legit 3D releases of Disney titles available in either region A or region all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks