What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Remains of the Day -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For me, the most important of Twilight Time's April '15 releases, is James Ivory's The Remains of the Day.

This is one of those beautiful films that, over a two-hour span, exists within itself, not only telling a story, but almost having a life of its own.

The film was photographed by Tony Pierce-Roberts, who also did A Room with a View, and Howard's End, and I'm pleased to report that Columbia's master, here licensed and released via Twilight Time, is startlingly beautiful.

This is one of those perfect Blu-rays of a filmed entertainment, that comes along every so often, that simply shouts quality.

The Remains of the Day is a wonderfully literate and thoughtful film that comes to Blu-ray with perfection.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This also has bonus content, like the commentary track with Thompson, that are absent on the UK Blu-ray.

I recall this being a great comentary from the USA Sony DVD.

This will be purchased with my next batch of TT Blu-rays along with A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm looking forward to this one. One of my favorites. The DVD had both Dolby Stereo and Dolby Digital and sounded fantastic. In fact, I think I enjoyed the ProLogic IIX decoded stereo version at reference better. Can't wait to hear it in lossless

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
stevenHa said:
Would anyone know if there is any difference between this and the 2013 all region release from Sony ?

The TT version has 3 items not found on the UK all region release:
  1. Commentary by Ismail Merchant, James Ivory & Emma Thompson (as Mark mentioned above)
  2. Isolated Score Track
  3. Theatrical Trailer
Can't wait for this one; IMO one of the very best films of the 90s and the pinnacle of the very storied career of Merchant/Ivory/Jhabvala.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Craig S said:
The TT version has 3 items not found on the UK all region release:
  1. Commentary by Ismail Merchant, James Ivory & Emma Thompson (as Mark mentioned above)
  2. Isolated Score Track
  3. Theatrical Trailer
Can't wait for this one; IMO one of the very best films of the 90s and the pinnacle of the very storied career of Merchant/Ivory/Jhabvala.
Yes, but what about video?

Do they have the same colors? Same framing? Same grain resolution?

I guess we will find out once some screenshot comparisons appear.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Konstantinos said:

Mr, Harris gave it a perfect score. What more do you need to know?

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
Konstantinos said:

They're both the same Sony 4K scan.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Tama said:
They're both the same Sony 4K scan.
I understand that, but sometimes even if 2 Blurays come from the same scan, they have some differences.

I mean:

We see this from the UK Bluray:

comparison_image.php

How does TT compare to this?

Is it brighter? Is it darker? Is it lighter or more contrasty?

Has it different colors? More red, more green?

Does it have the same grain resolution?

Maybe it loses or gains some pixes on one edge or all edges?

Such matters..

I must stress that with these questions I don't underestimate the value of the TT Bluray.

For one, I haven't even seen it.

Both could have a 5 in video, and at the same time have some differences.

I want to see with my own eyes, which version I would prefer. (IF there are differences)

I hope I was clearer now..

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
Konstantinos said:
I understand that, but sometimes even if 2 Blurays come from the same scan, they have some differences.

I mean:

We see this from the UK Bluray:

comparison_image.php

How does TT compare to this?

Is it brighter? Is it darker? Is it lighter or more contrasty?

Has it different colors? More red, more green?

Does it have the same grain resolution?

Maybe it loses or gains some pixes on one edge or all edges?

Such matters..

I must stress that with these questions I don't underestimate the value of the TT Bluray.

For one, I haven't even seen it.

Both could have a 5 in video, and at the same time have some differences.

I want to see with my own eyes, which version I would prefer. (IF there are differences)

I hope I was clearer now..

There should be no differences. They're the same master. And if encoded correctly will look identical considering TT doesn't alter any Masters given to them.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Tama said:
There should be no differences. They're the same master. And if encoded correctly will look identical considering TT doesn't alter any Masters given to them.
Both TT's Fright Night releases come from the same master, but they are different.

The latter is brighter than the former.

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
Konstantinos said:
Both TT's Fright Night releases come from the same master, but they are different.

The latter is brighter than the former.

Then wait till Caps-a-holic post comparison shots. You're not going to get your answer right now.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Tama said:
Then wait till Caps-a-holic post comparison shots. You're not going to get your answer right now.
I know.

Unless someone had both versions, or had the TT and could compare with the caps of the UK release that are either at caps-a-holic or bluray.com

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the UK release and thought the image looked very good to me and a big upgrade over my dvd and laserdisc. DVDBeaver might do a comparison on their website.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Delighted to see a 5/5 here! Not that I would have expected less. A greatly anticipated release.

I was blown away by the movie in the theater, equally blown away by a subsequent reading of the novel, and blown away yet again on a couple of early DVD revisits. This will receive a dedicated evening's blissful viewing.

(As I am always in the last batch of folks to receive TT shipment notices from SAE, I can't predict with any certainty when said bliss will occur.)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
No argument, one of the best films of all time with two of the greatest actors ever put on film. This film takes its time to weave a spell on you that will leave its mark on you the rest of your life. I would love this film no matter what it looks like -- fortunately the most beautiful production design of all time. Perfect script that doesn't tell you what to think or even what the main characters are thinking. That's its perfection -- it allows you to project your own thoughts and intent on the two main characters and come to your own decisions about what is going on in their minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks