What's new

Looking for an affordfable 2 Channel receiver. (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm looking for a good bang for the buck 2 channel receiver for my garage. I'll be driving a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors (V3). I just need something with a decent tuner and the ability to connect an MP3 player (cell phone or other). Blue tooth would be nice but I think all that can be handled with a blue tooth adapter purchased separately. Bang for the buck means I don't want to spend more than a few hundred. Used is an option if recommendations could be made for a good used receiver. Thanks in advance... Glad to see the HTF is still thriving!

R/Greg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I had a Sherwood I gave away just before a move over a year ago. I believe they list for about a $100 and usually are on sale for $85 give or take.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
gene c said:
Sorry Phil but avoid Pyle at all costs...even if it's free. I couldn't talk my brother out of buying one on a whim for his garage. What a piece of junk. Their stuff should only be sold at flea markets...and out of white vans.
That's OK - did not even know they make receivers. I have a Pyle Bluetooth bathroom scale and that's fine. I sort of figured the Sherwood I use to have was the bottom end of acceptable. Had it for years (I think I paid $80 as I got a store to match an online price) and mainly used it in the office and then as I upgraded other receivers it was moved to a spare computer and never got much use so I gave it away/

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If I was looking for something for the garage like the OP - I would probably looked used on Craigslist. Even if you got an old Dolby Pro Logic receiver and just used it in stereo. Probably could get one for cheap and it would be better built than many newer things.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Phil A said:
That's OK - did not even know they make receivers. I have a Pyle Bluetooth bathroom scale and that's fine. I sort of figured the Sherwood I use to have was the bottom end of acceptable. Had it for years (I think I paid $80 as I got a store to match an online price) and mainly used it in the office and then as I upgraded other receivers it was moved to a spare computer and never got much use so I gave it away/
I'm far from an expert in retail or manufacturing but Pyle probably re-brands a bunch of stuff so the quality of their products must run the gammit. I remember seeing Kawasaki on a bunch of stuff a few years ago. They really put their name on everything.

I also think Craigslist is a good place to look for a stereo for a garage but that Sherwood model you linked to looks pretty good for $70. Only one left at that price! Other sellers, $90+.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
That happens even with mainstream brands too - believe years back Denon's entry level Blu-Ray player was actually a Funai.

I liked the Sherwood when I had it. Could not complain for the price. If I had a gripe (which I really couldn't at the price) it would be the spring clips in the rear vs. real binding posts but even more expensive stuff doesn't have that.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Phil A said:
That happens even with mainstream brands too - believe years back Denon's entry level Blu-Ray player was actually a Funai.

I liked the Sherwood when I had it. Could not complain for the price. If I had a gripe (which I really couldn't at the price) it would be the spring clips in the rear vs. real binding posts but even more expensive stuff doesn't have that.

Mike Thank you. Hard to believe I've been a member for 16 Years! I should post more. :)

Appreciate the responses everyone. I want to avoid something that won't last long and even though I'll be using this in the garage sound quality still matters to me. Perhaps a used 2 channel Denon will suffice. Denon and Paradigm always paired well in my opinion.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
greggor said:
Mike Thank you. Hard to believe I've been a member for 16 Years! I should post more. :)

Appreciate the responses everyone. I want to avoid something that won't last long and even though I'll be using this in the garage sound quality still matters to me. Perhaps a used 2 channel Denon will suffice. Denon and Paradigm always paired well in my opinion.
If it fits in the budget there is a factory refurb at accessories4less.com - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendra397/denon-dra-397-am/fm-multi-source/zone-stereo-receiver/1.html

But a used one of course will be cheaper.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Phil A said:
If it fits in the budget there is a factory refurb at accessories4less.com - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendra397/denon-dra-397-am/fm-multi-source/zone-stereo-receiver/1.html

But a used one of course will be cheaper.

Thanks Phil, lots of great ideas and recommendations! I may buy this one as it seems to fit the bill. I also found a TEAC for $140.00 that I'm looking at. I owned a TEAC tuner and amp set up back in the 80's which always sounded really good. I wonder how the quality is now though....

Edit** Ah yes here it is!

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-AG790-AM-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00009K087/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I Know what I'm getting with a Denon unit, but would like to hear some personal experiences with TEAC if anyone has any to share.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think I would go with a cheap AVR like this Denon E200 refurb. I know it's not stereo but I like the fact that it's in expensive and offers flexibility. If you want to add a sub, ok sub out included. You want to put a TV out there to watch the game...no problem it's got HDMI/Optical inputs. You want to run 4 speakers...sure it's got surrounds you can run in multi-channel stereo mode. I also like the fact that you can cross out the speakers so you're not asking them to do the low stuff they can't do. You also get a portable input right on the front. The only thing missing is a bluetooth adapter but they are cheap. Just a though.

Users who are viewing this thread