What's new

Upgrade to a 8" sub from a 6.5" with same box (1 Viewer)

Marvin Namro

Auditioning
Hey.

I currently have an active 40w RMS subwoofer with a 6.5" driver. When i go past half volume the driver excursion is over the limit and looks very unstable, which i believe is why it's distorting already at half the volume. I'm thinking it's the driver not being able to push more rather than the amp being limited. Could this be true?

Another question. Would it work by installing an 8" driver in the same enclosure, and possibly being able to push more if the amp is not the limiting factor. Also, how would that sound if the box is most likely designed for a 6.5" driver? Could it sound better or is it a total no-no? Obviously depending on the speaker specifications and quality.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The enclosure is designed for the driver. Perhaps just get another sub - does not have to be expensive

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I agree with Phil changing out the sub size will most likely not get you where you want to be. It will likely be undersized and really cost you more than getting a better low end sub. However if you do the research you might find something that would work. You would need the volume of the current enclosure and then measure it to see if a larger driver would fit. Then you need to figure out if you have tools ect. to modify it.

The other option you could do would be to replace the current driver with a better unit as long as the recommended volume is close to the enclosure you have. I would look at something like this Tang Band (as the less expensive one is out of stock) but for not much more you could get a Dayton that Phil linked. Even if you did that replacement you're probably going to be limited by the power you're getting from the amp. 40 watts is not really that much for a sub.

If you wanted another very inexpensive option this Yamaha sub is only $90 on amazon and would probably do you much better than the current unit. That is just a guess as I don't know what your current unit is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks