love, american style (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have happy memories of this show

i happened to find this on youtube, with karen valentine

yikes, i found it awfully corny

i think this may be a show that my memories are better than the actual show !!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, I have to agree with you. Perfect for its time, but mostly doesn't hold up for me. Although it's great to see some fabulous performers who appeared on the show. Just watched one with Bernadette Peters and Jerry Orbach.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i would probably still buy it !!

but i understand why someone, who is an adult and seeing it for the first time, would not be interested.

of course, i am basing this on just one episode, for the moment.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Some of the segments are pretty good. Some were never good. And some are just very dated. But I do wish we had more anthology series today.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
It's dated like John said above, but I will watch it if there is a particular actor I like. I prefer The Love Boat, myself.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
wasnt sure what was meant by an anthology series

An anthology series is a radio or television series that presents a different story and a different set of characters in each episode

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
jimmyjet said:

An anthology series is a radio or television series that presents a different story and a different set of characters in each episode

Correct. Which is true of Love American Style.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i didnt recall it was the start-up for happy days ?

i seem to recall that exact doorbell scene. but i think the girl's name was gloria ?

they played it almost the same way.

this love american style was pretty good.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
jimmyjet said:
i didnt recall it was the start-up for happy days ?

Yes, and no.

Garry Marshall produced it as a series pilot, but ABC passed. It was inserted into LAS as a burn-off... back in the day when the networks packaged and aired unsold pilots to recoup production cost. After George Lucas' AMERICAN GRAFFITI was a big hit in theaters in Summer 1973, someone at ABC remembered the pilot due to LAS, and went back to Marshall for an HD series order.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
rmw650 said:
The Decades Channel (for those that do get this) aired a huge marathon back on Valentine's Day and will be part of their new lineup when the channel officially premieres next month...there were 5 season total and only the first season is available on DVD. They used to air on ME-TV
The BINGE is planning another marathon next month for 3 or 4 days according to their schedule.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i looked up the first episode - it had 3 parts - none of which i could find on youtube

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
jimmyjet said:
i would probably still buy it !!

but i understand why someone, who is an adult and seeing it for the first time, would not be interested.

of course, i am basing this on just one episode, for the moment.
I watched this show a lot when it was first on back in the day. So, I bought season one and enjoyed it as well . "Corny" doesn't bother me . I recognize that the show reflects the era in which it was made , but to me that just makes it nostalgic . If I expected all shows to be relevant , I wouldn't watch things like Dobie Gillis , Sgt Bilko, I Dream Of Jeannie , etc etc . , but I enjoy those shows. So bring on the rest of Love American Style !

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i havent seen dobie yet. my memory of it doesnt think of it as corny. of course, my memory of las was not corny, either.

how we think of things when we are 8-10 tends to change by the time we become adults !!

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
First season of Dobie is wonderful. Second season is still pretty good. After that it became the Maynard show, and suffered as a result.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i see - i can understand that. i recall maynard as being a fun sidekick to dobie, but not as a central attraction.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:

What do you think Love American Style is? A comedy anthology.

A comedy is a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Brent S said:
Yes, and no.

Garry Marshall produced it as a series pilot, but ABC passed. It was inserted into LAS as a burn-off... back in the day when the networks packaged and aired unsold pilots to recoup production cost. After George Lucas' AMERICAN GRAFFITI was a big hit in theaters in Summer 1973, someone at ABC remembered the pilot due to LAS, and went back to Marshall for an HD series order.

thanks brent,

interesting story

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks