What's new

"The Passion of the Christ" (2004) Short Review (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The wife and I (both nominal Christians but not active church-goers) saw this the other day in the theater, it was part of Cinemark's spring series of "classic" movies. I had seen it during its original 2004 theatrical run but my wife never had. At the time, my assessment was "powerful movie, very well filmed, and ... seeing it once is enough".

Eleven years later, I have the same thoughts: POC is IMO a powerful film, uncompromising, spiritually uplifting, and very well directed and shot. The step-by-step grind of Jesus's last day is gritty filmmaking to the Nth degree. The energy and power of the film never flags. And it is so brutal that I didn't really need to see it again. My wife simply turned her head away about halfway through and couldn't watch much of the last half of the film.

As an aside, Mel Gibson is wacky, and IMO clearly anti-semitic, but there's no denying that he is a hell of a good film-maker. IIRC he's made 4 films, and all of them are outstanding. "Apocalypto" is, in my view, extremely underrated, one of the best movies of the 2000s.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have zero interest in seeing this movie for its own sake, but my deep, abiding love for Apocalypto makes me very curious about it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks