What's new

Room Dimensions and Klipsch RP-260-F - Expert Advice (1 Viewer)

Styles

Auditioning
Real Name
Styles
Hiya Guys!!
I recently found this site and all I can say is WOW, tons of resources!!

I recently moved to a new apartment in NYC (so this limits things quite a bit as I can't just knock down drywall, apply insulation, or annoy the neighbors among other things hehe). However, here is what I'm working with and where speakers would go:

(Quick AutoCAD/Sketchup design with exact dimensions/measurements of the room)
- https://imgur.com/a/8XL6R#0

Due to money constraints (college student here) I'm starting with a 3.0 system and maybe adding a wireless sub-woofer in the future. However, I'm still a bit undecided on which L/R and Center speakers to go with and could truly use your expert advice. I was originally looking at the Klipsch KF-28's as they going for $250 each but after reading a few posts on Reddit about the Reference II speakers being much better I contacted Eric at SoundDistributors to see if he had any in stock but sadly it seems only the premiere series are available (which are way above my budget) but his offer has me thinking.

So my question is, based on my room dimensions/measurements could I go down from let's say the Klipsch RP-280-F to the RP-260-F and still blast my music or watch Interstellar and hear Hans Zimmer fall sleep on the organ while my solar plexus vibrates lol?

As you can tell I'm a total newb to this but trying to learn as much as possible and trying to prevent making a purchase I would regret as I don't have the budget to do so nor want to replace all of it in 5 years.

Based on this setup, is there anything you would recommend or advice (I know the L/R speakers are close to the wall but truly have no choice as it would block the way). Should I not purchase one of these or any of these? If so what should I buy instead and why? Lastly, I'm having a hard time figuring out which A/V receiver to purchase. All I know is that I need it to have WiFi and Bluetooth built in as I don't want to buy adapters and I will be using Spotify to stream music. What do you guys think of the Onkyo TX-NR626? I was recently told to look into the Denon AVR-X1100W (refurbished cause new is $499).

Lastly, what's your opinion on the 60" Samsung 7150 (I was debating between 4K and 1080p but I've heard there's a lack of 4K content and the 7150 has a higher refresh rate than similarly priced 4K TV's). I'm pretty set on this one as I can get it under $999 and seems to be a popular choice so far.

Note: I'm already looking into at ways to prevent echo/reflections/distortions by buying some wall panels from Acoustic Mac (or might make my own with some Roxul). However, I'm unsure at to their placement (I know the sides tend to be the most important but ZeosPantera pointed out that the walls are so far apart it might not be worth it) how about behind the speakers?

Thanks for reading. Any help, advice, or suggestions are truly appreciate it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One to save cash. See if anybody has any 60" LG plasma left. $600-$700 and a much better TV.

The 260 and 280 are the same efficiency(1db difference, you won't notice). The only real difference is a bit lower bass extension(which both go under 40hz). Unless you like overcooked bass, you really won't notice. A sub, with either, would be set around 40hz(The Onkyo you chose has individual crossover by pair). Denon also provides individual crossovers.

How close to the wall depends on if "up close and personal" accentuates the bass too much...

Styles

Auditioning
Real Name
Styles
schan1269 said:
One to save cash. See if anybody has any 60" LG plasma left. $600-$700 and a much better TV.

The 260 and 280 are the same efficiency(1db difference, you won't notice). The only real difference is a bit lower bass extension(which both go under 40hz). Unless you like overcooked bass, you really won't notice. A sub, with either, would be set around 40hz(The Onkyo you chose has individual crossover by pair). Denon also provides individual crossovers.

How close to the wall depends on if "up close and personal" accentuates the bass too much...

Thanks for the quick reply!!

I heard about the LG Plasma's and seen the amazing reviews however, I never really thought about purchasing one as the TV will be located in the living room and will be used mostly in a brightly lit room and now and then with the light off for true movie nights.

As for the receivers, do you think I should go for the Denon for the auto calibration (which I'm sure I will then have to manually tweak a bit after but at least closer to optimal)?

Lastly, if the bass is accentuated too much as you mentioned by being close to the wall, is it possible I could place an acoustic panel right behind the L/R speakers to fix or improve that?

Thanks once again, I hope others can join in and give me further suggestions and ideas.

Note: Someone recommended the Chane ARX 5 speakers over the Klipsch RP-260-F. I noticed they were highly rated in this lengthy and well setup speaker showdown/battle (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/69421-official-1-000-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event-results.html) however, in this review they compared them to the Klipsch RF-62 which are from the cheaper Reference II series and not the premier series. Do you guys think if I could find a good discount on the Klipsch RP-260-F that they would be a better choice over the Chane ARX 5 speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks