What's new

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All (HBO) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Did anyone else watch this mesmerizing two-part documentary on "The Voice"? Just like with Judy Garland: By Myself, this documentary was a warts-and-all presentation of a very eventful life crammed with music associated with Sinatra, vintage interviews with him as well as modern commentary by those who knew him. Four hours of material and not one second of it dull. Not as many movie clips as one might have imagined there would be, but otherwise, I had no complaints.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, HBO will repeat this over and over. Forgot to set up my Tivo for it. Going to do it now...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It plays like a cultural and political history of the middle of the last century. But don't kid yourself about the warts - they were more like freckles compared to reality, because this was produced and sanctioned by his Frank Sinatra Enterprises.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Hollywoodaholic said:
But don't kid yourself about the warts - they were more like freckles compared to reality, because this was produced and sanctioned by his Frank Sinatra Enterprises.
I'm confused.

This is from HBO:

SINATRA: ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL is an HBO Documentary Films presentation of a Jigsaw Production in association with Alcon Television Group and The Kennedy-Marshall Company; executive producers, Charles Pignone, Frank Marshall, Alex Gibney and Blair Foster; executive producers for Alcon Television, Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson and Sharon Hall; producers, Jeff Pollack, Erin Edeiken and Sam Pollard; editors, Sam Pollard, Ben Sozanski and Anoosh Tertzakian.

Jigsaw is Alex Gibney, while Alcon, and Kennedy-Marshall, claim to be independent film production companies.

I could find no mention of any connection to Frank Sinatra Enterprises on any of the following web sites:

http://www.jigsawprods.com/alex-gibney/

http://www.alconent.com/about/about-alcon/

http://kennedymarshall.com/about/the-kennedymarshall-company/

I also searched online for Frank Sinatra Enterprises and could only find redirects to www.sinatra.com which has a one line reference (buried) about this HBO program, and could not find any mention on the Sinatra Family web site: http://sinatrafamily.com/news/index.php

But, at the end of the Part 1 credits it says "© Frank Sinatra Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved"

?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Right, the documentary ended on that tell-tale credit, which is how I jumped to the completely sanctioned conclusion (and the cooperation of all living children through rights usage of their interviews). Plus the fact it was mostly a canonization.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Finished watching both parts, and I was a little underwhelmed. Based on Gibney's pedigree I expected more. I didn't necessarily think it was a whitewashing job, as some parts weren't very complimentary to Sinatra at all.

I think the major problem is how the entire story is tied to the farewell concert. At many points it seems to disrupt or derail the narrative as opposed to facilitating the story.

All in all I'd give it a 7.5 on a 1-10 scale.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
On rewatching, I noticed that the involvement/engagement with Juliet Prowse whom he met on Can-Can was completely omitted. I wonder if there was some problem with getting clearances.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Matt Hough said:
On rewatching, I noticed that the involvement/engagement with Juliet Prowse whom he met on Can-Can was completely omitted. I wonder if there was some problem with getting clearances.
Could be that, or Gibney just didn't think it merited inclusion?

If every starlet that Sinatra got involved with was highlighted, we'd have 'Trollops On Parade', not a bio! Sorry, couldn't help it.

Here's an interesting web site that has a list of women involved with Sinatra - http://dating.famousfix.com/tpx_3013/frank-sinatra/dating-history

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks