What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sullivan's Travels -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Both luck and technology are on our side with Criterion's new Blu-ray of Preston Sturges' 1941 Sullivan's Travels, one of the most beloved films of the era. Criterion almost seems to be underplaying their comments, when they refer to it in their liner notes as a "comedy masterpiece," and "among the finest Hollywood satires."

I mention the comments above, as while most distributors overstate, Criterion gets it just right.

Scanned from a surviving nitrate fine grain master (many of the original nitrate Paramount negatives were junked after the deal with Universal), we're fortunate that the source appears to have been well-struck from the original, and has gone through requisite digital handling to create a magnificent Blu-ray.

Sullivan's Travels is one of those films which no serious cinema collection can do without.

Beautiful black and white, with proper grain structure, resolution, black levels.  And clean.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great news on a great film! I cannot wait to get this in my collection.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Robert Harris said:
Both luck and technology are on our side with Criterion's new Blu-ray of Preston Sturges' 1941 Sullivan's Travels, one of the most beloved films of the era. Criterion almost seems to be underplaying their comments, when they refer to it in their liner notes as a "comedy masterpiece," and "among the finest Hollywood satires."

I mention the comments above, as while most distributors overstate, Criterion gets it just right.

Scanned from a surviving nitrate fine grain master (many of the original nitrate Paramount negatives were junked after the deal with Universal), we're fortunate that the source appears to have been well-struck from the original, and has gone through requisite digital handling to create a magnificent Blu-ray.

Sullivan's Travels is one of those films which no serious cinema collection can do without.

Beautiful black and white, with proper grain structure, resolution, black levels. And clean.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
JUNKEDTHE fine grain masters? I shudder to think what has been lost. The National Film Registry needs to get more active tracking down and preserving lost films. Unconscionable.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
ljgranberry said:
JUNKEDTHE fine grain masters? I shudder to think what has been lost. The National Film Registry needs to get more active tracking down and preserving lost films. Unconscionable.
The FGM survives. The OCN is apparently gone. Nothing the NFR can do, unless they create a time machine.

Be nice to have the Sternberg films back.

RAH

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Robert Harris said:
The FGM survives. The OCN is apparently gone. Nothing the NFR can do, unless they create a time machine.

Be nice to have the Sternberg films back.

RAH
Thank God they at least have the masters (well, HOPEFULLY they have them for the Paramount films). BTW Mr. Harris - any chance Universal and Paramount will get on the ball and at least start licensing to a third party like Twilight Time? Way too many classics still left unreleased.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Would like to see the Paramount Marx Bros films in a better condition when i hope one day they will be released again. This is a great Sturges film and wish Criterion will release more from him.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Look forward to an eventual releases of THE LADY EVE and MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK. Criterion already has UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948), an underappreciated but utterly brilliant and hilarious comedy. Now for the Blu-ray...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Robert Harris said:

RAH

I couldn't agree more. It's one of those that gets better every time you see it. Thanks for the great review, I pre-ordered mine the day it was announced on HTF. Can't wait.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Criterion will release Christmas in July on blu ray. There is such a sweetness to the opening scene on the rooftop with Dick Powell and Ellen Drew.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For completion's sake, we also need THE GREAT MOMENT; and MAD WEDNESDAY, the alternate version of Harold Diddlebock. I've seen all of Sturges' movies, and even these last two, which suffered from studio interference, are still worth seeing.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
ljgranberry said:
Would love to see these Sturges films released on blu by Criterion:
THE GREAT MCGINTY
CHRISTMAS IN JULY
THE LADY EVE
HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO
THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
UNFAITHFULLY YOURS
THE SIN OF HAROLD DIDDLEBOCK
"The Beautiful Blonde From Bashful Bend", Sturges' only colour movie, was available on VHS and in a Fox laserdisc Betty Grable two-fer with "The Farmer Takes A Wife". I've never heard of a DVD. It has a bad reputation as a Preston Sturges film, but it's not that bad as a Betty Grable feature. It might make a worthy Blu-Ray double feature with "The Sin Of Harold Diddlebock/Mad Wednesday" as a sort of "tying up the loose ends" package, not that I'd want to give Criterion any ideas.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
David, thanks for reminding me about The Beautiful Blonde... Had forgotten about it! Also forgot about The French, They Are a Funny Race.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks