What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Breathless (1983) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Shout Factory's new Blu-ray of Jim McBride's Breathless, a domestic take on the 1959 Godard original, is a good-looking Blu-ray.

As a film from the 1980s, part of the MGM holdings, it should be, but stranger things have occurred with films of this age.

Color, densities, black levels, grain structure all looks fine.  Ms Kaprisky's flesh tones (she's now 52) appear fine for the then 19 year-old.

I was never able to connect with this film when at original release in 1983, and it still doesn't seem to work today.

I'm a fan of the original.

Be it known, however, that the new Blu-ray, from a tech perspective is a good bet.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Having never seen the 1960 original (didn't know it existed). I did catch this remake on late night cable back in 1984. I remember being impressed by the musical score. A bit disappointed by the ending but overall, not bad.
It does pique my interest in the original.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kyrsten Brad said:
Having never seen the 1960 original (didn't know it existed). I did catch this remake on late night cable back in 1984. I remember being impressed by the musical score. A bit disappointed by the ending but overall, not bad.

I reviewed Criterion's Blu-ray release of the 1960 original five years ago. That review is here.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Great news.

I'm a fan of the original as well. My first experience was not a television broadcast but a presentation at a small cinema here in Hamburg in 2001. A couple of days later I bought the DVD. :D

But I always liked the 80's version also (which I knew before the original version). So it's good to know to get both films on BD.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Kyrsten Brad said:
Godard films have been re-made/imagined a few times.

Not one is worth watching compared to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks