What's new

'Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief' - on HBO (1 Viewer)

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I think it's safe to say HBO Documentary Films is on a roll - a huge roll. Just on the heals of 'The Jinx', Sunday night HBO broadcast the Jig Saw / HBO production 'Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief'.

From Huffington Post

'Going Clear' Was The Most-Watched HBO Documentary in 9 Years

Plenty of America found out what it's like to be an operating thetan on Sunday by tuning in to HBO's premiere of the Scientology documentary, "Going Clear." Its 1.7 million viewers provided the network with its most-watched doc premiere since Spike Lee's two-part 2006 Hurricane Katrina film, "When the Levees Broke," which accrued 1.75 million.

Those 1.7 million viewers reflect the premiere telecast, meaning the number does not include HBO Go streams, DVR views or the encore that aired on Monday night. It's a particularly strong statistic given the film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January and was given a limited theatrical release earlier this month.

By now, we probably don't need to reiterate just how incendiary "Going Clear" is to Scientology. Based on Lawrence Wright's 2013 book of the same name, the Alex Gibney film been roundly blasted as "one-sided, bigoted propaganda" by the Church of Scientology.

From HBO

Following the HBO documentary “Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God,” his investigation into sex abuse in the Catholic Church, Academy Award®-winning director Alex Gibney (HBO’s “Taxi to the Dark Side”) turns his gaze to Scientology in GOING CLEAR: SCIENTOLOGY AND THE PRISON OF BELIEF, based on the book by Pulitzer Prize winner Lawrence Wright.

Gibney profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology, whose most prominent adherents include A-list Hollywood celebrities, shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, detailing their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion.

This powerful new film highlights the Church’s origins, from its roots in the mind of founder L. Ron Hubbard to its rise in popularity in Hollywood and beyond. The heart of the film is a series of shocking revelations by former insiders, including high-ranking and recognizable members such as acclaimed screenwriter Paul Haggis (“Crash”), as they describe the systematic history of abuse and betrayal by Church officials, including the current leadership of the Church.

A provocative tale of ego, exploitation and lust for power, GOING CLEAR: SCIENTOLOGY AND THE PRISON OF BELIEF will open in theaters in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco on Friday, March 13, prior to its HBO debut.

GOING CLEAR: SCIENTOLOGY AND THE PRISON OF BELIEF is written and directed by Alex Gibney; based on the book by Lawrence Wright; producers, Alex Gibney, Kristen Vaurio and Lawrence Wright; editor, Andy Grieve; director of photography, Samuel Painter. For HBO: supervising producer, Sara Bernstein; executive producer, Sheila Nevins.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
mattCR said:
I loved the book. The HBO documentary doesn't include everything, but it updates some. And the moments of video inside Scientology meetings.. Wow.
Agreed. It was fascinating to read about it, but somehow even more effective when I could hear the actual people speaking, and definitely those video clips of the meetings. Wow.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hmm. Somehow, I can't find the thread from yesterday, if they can be merged that would be good.

As someone who read the book and really enjoyed it, HBO's "Going Clear" deserved to become he highest viewed documentary in almost a decade.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/scientology-expos-going-clear-is-785556

This is a surprisingly well done, smartly edited documentary with some compelling interviews and great research. There area few things that I wish had made the transition from the book to the film version, but I can respect the editorial decisions as well.

This is a smart documentary that I'd encourage everyone to take the effort to watch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
mattCR said:
Hmm. Somehow, I can't find the thread from yesterday, if they can be merged that would be good.

As someone who read the book and really enjoyed it, HBO's "Going Clear" deserved to become he highest viewed documentary in almost a decade.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/scientology-expos-going-clear-is-785556

This is a surprisingly well done, smartly edited documentary with some compelling interviews and great research. There area few things that I wish had made the transition from the book to the film version, but I can respect the editorial decisions as well.

This is a smart documentary that I'd encourage everyone to take the effort to watch.

That thread was temporarily hidden because of a few posts that crossed the line of demarcation when it comes to religious/political discussion. Such talk isn't allowed here so this is a warning to all not to broach that topic again.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
OK. So, without discussing the topic at hand, I will just say.. people REALLY should watch this. Put it high on your list of documentaries that will blow your mind.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Paul Haggis published a lengthy article about his experience a couple of years back. It's probably still online somewhere.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It did air in a few theaters; but I think the rules about Documentaries changed going into next year. It definitely is one of those documentaries everyone should see.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Robert Crawford said:
That thread was temporarily hidden because of a few posts that crossed the line of demarcation when it comes to religious/political discussion. Such talk isn't allowed here so this is a warning to all not to broach that topic again.
Thank you for your consideration on this matter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AnthonyClarke said:
Is Scientology something to do with politics or political discussion?

I know it's not a religion so what's going on here?
Those are questions this forum management doesn't want answered or discussed here.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Crawford said:
Those are questions this forum management doesn't want answered or discussed here.

Robert, are the restrictions so tight here, on HTF, that if a documentary focused on a religious sect that believes human sacrifices are acceptable to generate fear, to help spread that religion, HTF moderators would erase any post from a member who criticized that religion?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a fine line Mike. We have a blanket ban on politics and religion but after a bit of discussion it was determined that this thread could in fact talk about the merits of the documentary without talking about the specific allegations of Scientology, which despite Anthony's post, is a recognized religion. The tax breaks Scientology gets for being an actual religion are the heart of the issue the documentary focuses on (from my understanding at least, haven't seen it yet, tho it is DVRed) as much as the secrecy and behavior of its members and leaders.

So, use your best judgement. Sorry we can't be more specific than that. We're gonna go for a light touch here but if anything gets posted that crosses the line we'll try to corral it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Plus, one of the things they pointed out in the documentary is how legal happy Scientology is. If I was HTF, that would be a factor too.

I re-watched this with a friend last night and there aren't many documentaries I could watch repeatedly just open jawed and go "damn".. this is one, Dear, Zachary & Hoop Dreams are others..

But it is a fantastic work.. must see material. I'm hoping for extended editions and extra interviews on the bluray.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This documentary was outstanding. Thank goodness we have HBO, which is about as fearless as filmmaking gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks