What's new

Fear the Walking Dead (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
AMC's companion series to 'The Walking Dead', called 'Fear the Walking Dead' will play this summer.

This series is set in Los Angeles during the start of the zombie apocalypse.

The first season, like with 'The Walking Dead', is six episodes.

I'm very interested in stories of the early days of a zombie outbreak. This is the stage that always seems to be glossed over in most zombie movies and shows. So I'm excited to see a story focusing on this.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Greg_S_H said:
I didn't like the idea of LA, but the teaser made it look like an interesting setting after all.

Especially since it takes place in L.A. Who the hell walks there? It should've been Stuck In Traffic On The 405 For The Love Of God Just Kill Me Great Thanks Now I'm A Zombie.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
joshEH said:
Especially since it takes place in L.A. Who the hell walks there? It should've been Stuck In Traffic On The 405 For The Love Of God Just Kill Me Great Now I'm A Zombie.

If the group goes for long stretches without a new car, I'll be baffled. We have new car dealerships, like every 10 miles.

Nice original title, Kirkman! Geez...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I basically think this show is a bad idea because it's another zombie show in a very crowded field of zombie stuff, it risks turning the main series into some kind of CSI: Your-City-Here franchise rather than a unique tale and they will use ideas & stories that could be utilized on the original show.

All that negativity aside, Kim Dickens is guaranteed to be good in this. And like Sean said, it'll be interesting to see the early days of the fall of society.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That dude in the tunnel did NOT get his flu-shot.

(...Well, of course he didn't. He could get autism.)

TravisR said:
I basically think this show is a bad idea because it's another zombie show in a very crowded field of zombie stuff, it risks turning the main series into some kind of CSI: Your-City-Here franchise rather than a unique tale and they will use ideas & stories that could be utilized on the original show.

Next up:

Mardi Gras Walking Dead New Orleans!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
TravisR said:

All that negativity aside, Kim Dickens is guaranteed to be good in this. And like Sean said, it'll be interesting to see the early days of the fall of society.
If its half as good as TWD then it will be better than any most other zombie fare out there. I say bring it on!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There are two reasons I'm excited for this:
1) It starts in the very early days of the outbreak, during the period Rick was in a coma. This is a time period I've wanted to learn more about since the beginning. It's interesting that the teaser makes it sound like the outbreak started with a flu-like virus. If the vast majority of people were turned by an airborne virus that the survivors are somehow immune or resistant to, it would explain how things got out of control so fast.

2) it's got a great cast so far in Cliff Curtis, Kim Dickens, Alycia Debnam-Carey and Frank Dillane. All of them have caught my attention for great work in the past: Curtis has a huge resume of great work, Dickens got much deserved acclaim for "Deadwood" and "Treme", Debnam-Carey was phenomenal this past season as the grounder commander on "The 100" and Dillane was suitably evil as the teenage Voldemort in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm sure TWD's portrayal of Los Angeles will mimic the first show's nuanced depiction of the South.

Every third character will have a Valley Girl accent and a surfboard (as well as a podcast about bad movies).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, are we going to get a cameo from Dr. Jenner and his genius CDC wife in the spinoff? It would actually make sense if it was a prequel.

(Then again, it's L.A. Probably more likely to see transitioning ex-athlete Jenner and a bunch of Kardashians.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In an interview with Fangoria, Robert Kirkman revealed that "Fear the Walking Dead" will premiere in August. The six-episode first season will presumably run straight through until the season premiere of the mothership in October.

To further differentiate the look of the spin-off, they're shooting it digitally instead of on 16mm film like the original. The "clean" look of digital helps underscore that this show starts in much earlier days than the original.

They're shooting the bulk of the first season in Vancouver for cost reasons, but they have shooting blocks scheduled in Los Angeles to pick up certain exteriors.

Kirkman doesn't consider it a prequel, because while it starts out covering the time Rick was in his coma, it will eventually overlap with timeline of the early seasons of the mothership. That being said, they're not planning any crossovers given the extreme geographic distance between the two groups.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Poster:

FearTheWalkingDead-S01-001.jpg

Also, Tony-nominated actor Colman Domingo has joined the cast.

christopher*

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'm excited about the new series. It will be interesting to see different characters reacting to the wonderful world of zombies. While I love Rick & the gang, it will be nice to watch some new characters trying to survive.

Knowing Kirkman is behind this series it will be a great show. I think it will be interesting to see how the virus spreads.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing. Looks great. With the August 23rd start date, it looks like there's only going to be one weekend skipped between the finale of Fear the Walking Dead and the season six premiere of the mothership.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
What a great cast of underrated actors...Ruben Blades, Cliff Curtis, Kim Dickens.

I like that we will see more of what went on when it all first started happening.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Makeup effects wizard/director/EP Greg Nicotero says Season 2 of "Fear the Walking Dead" will be fifteen episodes, contribute toward AMC's goal of eventually airing new programming set in the Walking Dead universe 52 weeks a year

If AMC does decide to go that route, there will likely be a third series down the road with each show running 17 to 18 episode seasons. The third show would almost have to have a completely different premise to avoid sapping energy from the other two shows, though. I might get zombied out.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
They must expect Walking Dead to run for quite a few more seasons, then. It'd probably be another two years before a third series can get to screen (at least). They wouldn't want this 52 weeks a year thing to only last one year so, at least 4 or 5 more WD seasons. I'm not sure the show can sustain that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks