What's new

Discaholics Anonymous (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
[Fore-note: This is an attempt at self-satire. No disrespect is intended towards anyone other than the author]

Hi, my name is Ramin.

I am a discaholic.

For the longest time, I’d justify the steady growth of our home library as a cultural investment; but as I survey the dizzy maze of bookshelves - three-deep with discs - that is now our living room, I can no longer deny that this thing has overtaken me.

The following are descriptions of some of my many debilitating symptoms - the honest reader may choose to relate to some of these:-

Daily expenses for life's essentials, including groceries, utility bills etc. are now seen through the prism of their equivalent Blu-ray value. It used to amuse my ever-patient wife when I'd pipe up with quips like: "How much? You know we could buy 8 restored Blu-rays for that!" Her protest: "But darling, we have to feed the children" seldom moved me. Nowadays she's not so sure I'm even kidding anymore.

Ancient Egyptians would bow in ritual homage to their sun-god, "Ra". Morning, noon and night I bow my head in the direction of my own sacred portal (HTF on iPad) in the hope that my similarly-named deity has shed oceans of light onto a new subject. I eagerly read the views of fellow minions as we seek collective illumination, for in RAH we trust.

Since when did I ever care about [insert obscure director name]'s esoteric directorial style? But hey, RAH gave the film a 'Recommended', so now I must have it! ...I ...just...must!!

My worldview has fundamentally changed. I used to worry about the rise of extremism, increasing cancer rates, dwindling natural resources... Somewhere along the way other concerns have taken over. I can't face the thought of a world where my grandchildren-to-be can no longer caress a gleaming, tactile disc in their hands, because some backroom bean-counting ignoramus figured that lazy-ass streaming will do. I lose sleep actively worrying about the integrity of studio executives who act as short-term custodians of our holy relics (original camera negatives and other film assets). My present overriding anxiety is where to put my 1939 Golden Years Collection box-set in my genre/director-centric disc-filing regimen.

My discs that I've yet to see far outnumber the ones I've seen. With a steady stream of incoming orders, my mantra: ‘buying-beats-renting’ (due to savings on repeat viewings) has been shown up for the whopping lie that it's always been. It's doubtful whether I'll live long enough to watch my entire collection even once. Mind you, that might change as impending dire poverty forces a halt to the influx – I could then catch up with my viewing backlog, so long as the compassionate bankruptcy auctioneers let me hang on to my existing discs and home theatre system.

Few sounds inspire as much elated anticipation in me as the tiny pitter-patter of the postman's feet. Damn it, he didn't ring the doorbell - it must just be bills. Hang on... the steps are getting louder. He's coming back! Wait! ...Wait! ...A double ring! Hallelujah! Package!

Tenderly, reverently, I hold the parcel in my hands. It's battered and bruised - the legacy of man-handling across multiple continental hops to the Land of Oz. No matter, I know that inside this sorry looking mess my dear, dear friends at Amazon US, UK, Germany, Spain, Latvia, Micronesia... have been sure to wrap the disc with all the loving care a new-born deserves.

Now exactly which of my countless orders-in-transit is this anyway? I don't want to break the heady spell of wonderment by opening the parcel, but I can't hold out any longer. Tear; rip… what on earth are these strange symbols? Oh, of course - it's that version of The Third Man I ordered from the Amazon partner in Kafiristan ...You know; the one that said they'd used the same transfer as Criterion's out-of print Blu! I'm sure I can muddle my way through the menu to set English dialogue. Hang on, there was English dialogue, wasn't there? Harry Lime on the printed disc artwork looks to have been drawn with crayons. Never mind - quick... place the humble offering onto the sacred platter! Grind, click, flash - "Your player doesn't support Region Q format discs" - What THE?!?

Crest-fallen, I switch on my iPad to despatch my indignation to Amazon. Hold your horses, what have we here? "A few words about ™... […]". Never heard of that one before! Didn't even know they made films in 1903. But hey, the All-Knowing One has scored it a 4.8 for image. Now I mustn't forget to click my order through the HTF link to share the love around...

[Please feel welcome to share your own unique disc addiction experiences below]

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Ramin, I share some of your characteristics (my wife might define them as afflictions) as a fellow Blu-ray accumulator.

I too, have clicked a few times on treasures in the land of Amazon, due to the infectious enthusiasm (to me anyway) for certain titles, that RAH displayed for their Blu-ray incarnations.

I too, wait with great anticipation for the daily mail delivery, although in our case, that service is not provided by a mailman, but instead by a mailwoman, which to me, has always sounded like a contradiction in terms.

And, yes I despise streaming, ranking it right down there in value with micro-waving a 2 hour old hard taco (actually, previously hard) from Taco Bell.

And I also worry about the Blu-ray being an endangered species, which I fear, I have placed in the same threatened category as the Manatee, the Rhino, the Jaguar, and the Red-cockaded Woodpecker, and sadly, would be more likely to respond with a contribution following a fundraising pitch that asked for money to help save one of these 5 endangered species, if it was for the one that does not breathe.

I too, struggled for a reasonable way to come up with enough appropriate categories to provide me with an easy logic that would enable me to file, and remember where I had filed, any of the continuing flood of new Blu-ray titles. But, finally, I just said the hell with all that complication, and went to filing alphabetically by movie title, even though this means shifting movies over to the right whenever I acquire a new title on Blu. Sure dread it when I get a title that falls near the beginning of the alphabet, like my recent acquisition of The Americanization of Emily. (great film BTW, only the 2nd movie released with Julie Andrews. She co-stars in a non-singing role, but I sure love to hear her speak)

And, like you Ramin, the unwatched Blu-rays in the collection, well outnumber the ones that my wife and I have seen. And most of these unwatched Blues, are even of movies we have never seen in any form.

And finally, some of those foreign sourced Blu-rays also present a challenge to me, Ramin. Recently received One-Eyed Jacks, a western starring Marlon Brando, that was also the only film that the late actor ever directed. Thought I was never going to hear anything other than its German audio track, until I finally somehow managed to finagle the English track into playing.

(the film does have a sub-standard video presentation on Blu-ray, though, especially considering it was shot in VistaVision)

Yeah, I might attempt to claim to some people who don't know me well, that my wife is kidding when she says I have a Blu-ray obsession. But the very fact that I'm concluding this post at 5:39 in the morning, Ohio time, indicates that I would be lying.

Enjoy the best films you have on Blu-ray, Ramin. Because with time being limited, I guess that guys like us need to choose wisely.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Mike, I very much enjoyed reading your post - thank you for replying ...with humour and eloquence. Prior to your reply, the complete lack of any responses had me thinking that perhaps no one else on this forum could relate to my experiences - however exaggerated ...or maybe they took one look at the length of the post, figured out I was crazy and ran a mile!

I see from your profile page that we not only share some Blu-ray accumulation habits, but also a taste for many of the same films. From your list of top 5 favourites, I own 4 on Blu and rate them very highly among my favourites. Absolute top of my list is A Man For All Seasons, which I'm ecstatic is being released on Blu-ray by Twilight Time in May. I'd figured we might get a 50th anniversary release in 2016, so the news that we'll be seeing a fully restored (by Sony) release a year sooner has been a source of great joy and anticipation.

The only one of your favourites that I don't yet have is Witness, a movie I also like very much. I'll have to address that omission from my library soon!

I've also got The Americanization of Emily, and agree that it is not only a great movie, but also a super Blu-ray transfer.

Thanks again for your detailed post Mike. I do hope we get to hear from others too re their disc accumulation habits.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Gosh, just wait for the fun in your future when you embark on a project to conserve shelf-space and optimize organization by combining various releases of the same title in new (higher-capacity) cases. When you embark on that project, sometimes your anticipated postal deliveries will consist entirely of boxes of empty cases.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Dave B Ferris said:
Gosh, just wait for the fun in your future when you embark on a project to conserve shelf-space and optimize organization by combining various releases of the same title in new (higher-capacity) cases. When you embark on that project, sometimes your anticipated postal deliveries will consist entirely of boxes of empty cases.
Wow Dave! I humbly bow the knee! You must have attained discaholic heights I did not know were possible! All hail! ...and thanks very much for sharing.

Edit: ...and seriously, what a terrific idea!!!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RMajidi said:
[Fore-note: This is an attempt at self-satire. No disrespect is intended towards anyone other than the author]

Although it's a dicey subject joking about it, since I've had other forums react rather....negatively when I try to bring up that the Cult of Blind-Buying--especially Criterion--can take on aspects of psychological addiction, if it starts taking on proportions that go beyond just hoping for your favorite movie.

When you spend $30 on each disk, hoping that your love and loyalty will somehow transfer to the studio through your payment, and in return, they'll make you feel smarter for teaching you new movies you never knew before--and that this ritual is so much more sophisticated and dedicated in itself than simply renting them or watching them on Hulu--it's about the act of buying rather than the purchased goods. And when the act, not the goal, satisfies the brain adrenaline, that's addiction.

Not to mention the other little giveaways, that are usually more commonly associated with the better known addictions: Do you put the purchases ahead of other priorities? Do you feel friends and family are "interfering" when they ask you to quit?

Gambling, chocolate and shoe-shopping can be just as diagnosable addictions without dropping any illegal substances, but they don't do your budget any good without control.

I'm a disk lover myself, but for the last few years, I've lived the healthy lifestyle of poverty, and only one disk a month.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thank you for your considered response Ejanss. I think it shows you are a caring individual that understands the dangers of addictive behaviour ...and thanks for the courage to share those thoughts openly, not knowing in what spirit others might receive them.

For my part, although I clearly used exaggeration for the original posting, I do recognise that my accumulation habits are now tending towards the unhealthy. Sharing some aspects in the way that I did actually helped me take stock of my escalating buying patterns.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I am a discaholic from way back in the vinyl LPs and 7"45 singles days. I've slowly unloaded a large portion of them, and hung onto favorites. I collected in the VHS, Laserdisc and DVD days, but not to the extent that I have with Blu-rays, and I have a modest collection of about 300 BDs. After I got all of my favorites, and then some, on Blu-ray (while still waiting for some), I have toned it down a bit the last few years, so I may not be as much of a hardcore discaholic as I once was (but they all say that :) ). I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RMajidi said:
Mike, I very much enjoyed reading your post - thank you for replying ...with humour and eloquence. Prior to your reply, the complete lack of any responses had me thinking that perhaps no one else on this forum could relate to my experiences - however exaggerated ...or maybe they took one look at the length of the post, figured out I was crazy and ran a mile!

I see from your profile page that we not only share some Blu-ray accumulation habits, but also a taste for many of the same films. From your list of top 5 favourites, I own 4 on Blu and rate them very highly among my favourites. Absolute top of my list is A Man For All Seasons, which I'm ecstatic is being released on Blu-ray by Twilight Time in May. I'd figured we might get a 50th anniversary release in 2016, so the news that we'll be seeing a fully restored (by Sony) release a year sooner has been a source of great joy and anticipation.

The only one of your favourites that I don't yet have is Witness, a movie I also like very much. I'll have to address that omission from my library soon!

I've also got The Americanization of Emily, and agree that it is not only a great movie, but also a super Blu-ray transfer.

Thanks again for your detailed post Mike. I do hope we get to hear from others too re their disc accumulation habits.

Ramin, thank you very much. I had been sitting here exhausted until you just ignited a spark in my day by your mention of A Man For All Seasons getting a May Blu-ray release. My friend, our levels of ecstasy as a result of this development are surely comparable. The other day, I mentioned to my wife how excited I am that 2 of my favorites, Spartacus and My Fair Lady, are now, finally, both headed toward quality Blu-ray releases. And even though I love A Man For All Seasons so much, that I watch it on DVD about every 6 months, I somehow did not think of it when telling my wife that Spartacus and My Fair Lady would basically make complete having a collection of all my favorite films on Blu-ray. Maybe I forgot it because I'd been resigned to thinking that A Man For All Seasons might never make it to Blu-ray before the little disc becomes obsolete someday. (the format will never be obsolete to me, and with 5 good Blu-ray players, that should be a safe # in reserve, to be playing discs for most, if not all, of the years that remain to me)

I thought I was excited about the upcoming releases of those other 2 Blues, which now, I realize, will make up two parts of a terrific triumvirate, the 3rd part of which, now has me even more jazzed up than either of the other 2. Wow!

I can certainly shed no new light on A Man For All Seasons for a fellow devotee of the film, such as yourself, but among the things I love about the film is the strength of the wit contained in its dialog, which for me, makes the film's confrontations between characters more riveting than any special effect, or fight in any action movie. But don't get me wrong I greatly appreciate movies that combine action with intelligence, like 1993's The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. Guess there was no need to name the stars of that film, I'm sure you've seen it, just as I'm sure that I'd like to hear your opinion of it.

But back on A Man For All Seasons, what a commanding performance by Paul Scofield as Thomas More. I am not a religious man myself, but am greatly stirred by a person such as Thomas More, portrayed as having such a steadfast strength of character, that he will allow none of the vicious winds that blow, to sway his integrity. A Man For All Seasons stirs the mind and grabs the heart. Every time, without fail, that I view the scene where Thomas More is visited by his family, during his imprisonment, I know there will be a lump in my throat, and I'll be tearing up. And Ramin, I have a feeling that you are the same way.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention a major reason that I'm more excited about the Blu-ray debut of A Man For All Seasons than that of the improved Blu-ray versions of Spartacus and My Fair Lady, and that is, that somehow, through some strange combination of circumstances, though my wife has seen the other 2 films a couple of times each, she has never seen A Man For All Seasons. And I think she's going to love it.

Anyway, Ramin, I've got to go now, but thank you so much again, for putting such a great spin on my day.

You take care, man.

And you, and yours, make sure to enjoy some of those Blu-rays you have there.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
You guys are bums. BUMS, I tell ya'.

Me? I can stop any time I want to.... I just don't want to yet....I have to wait for the complete set of the 9 Star Wars flicks, at least.......

But, any time after that, I can stop cold.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Dr Griffin said:
I am a discaholic from way back in the vinyl LPs and 7"45 singles days. I've slowly unloaded a large portion of them, and hung onto favorites. I collected in the VHS, Laserdisc and DVD days, but not to the extent that I have with Blu-rays, and I have a modest collection of about 300 BDs. After I got all of my favorites, and then some, on Blu-ray (while still waiting for some), I have toned it down a bit the last few years, so I may not be as much of a hardcore discaholic as I once was (but they all say that :) ). I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.
Ah yes! How sorely I regret selling off my entire vinyl collection through my brother's record store in the 80's, once CD's arrived in a big way. Won't be repeating that massive blunder with my movie disc collection!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thank you Mike for your wholehearted post! Delighted to make your acquaintance and glad to have made your day (as your reply did mine). As our recent posts have taken on more the nature of a dialogue, I thought of sending this to you as a private message, but then figured this content is still in keeping with the overall theme of this thread, so I'm posting here after all. That way any other interested members can (and are welcome to) weigh in with their views.

Mike Boone said:
...among the things I love about the film is the strength of the wit contained in its dialog, which for me, makes the film's confrontations between characters more riveting than any special effect, or fight in any action movie. But don't get me wrong I greatly appreciate movies that combine action with intelligence, like 1993's The Fugitive...

...I am not a religious man myself, but am greatly stirred by a person such as Thomas More, portrayed as having such a steadfast strength of character, that he will allow none of the vicious winds that blow, to sway his integrity...

Couldn’t agree more with all of the above, including the superb The Fugitive, which I revisited on my 20th Anniversary edition Blu-ray only a few weeks ago – a virtually perfect film to me.

Your post has encouraged me to dedicate a new 'while we wait' thread to A Man For All Seasons, and I'm eager to pick up this discussion there (once I get around to it – hopefully soon). I’ll add here that I couldn't agree more about the scene at the Tower with Alice and family! I'm not ashamed to admit that that scene in particular reduces me to a puddle every single time, despite the numerous occasions I've basked in this glorious film.

I do have strong religious beliefs, but I don’t know whether that necessarily qualifies me as a “religious man” either, because for me that term connotes content of character rather than adherence to any given set of beliefs. To the extent that the movie itself is centred on Sir Thomas More’s religious beliefs, I think that it’s reasonable for members to discuss them in context; however, I’ll consciously steer clear of any personal religious discourse in respecting the “no religion” policy of this forum. I was interested in your profile comments about Carl Sagan and wondered whether you had seen the movie Contact – another favourite of our whole family.

While I think Ejanss’ post above might have taken my initial drivel a little too much at face value; nevertheless it provoked some thought about my passion for movies. I'm not too much of a blind collector actually, but I do find tremendous refuge and meaning in movies. For entertainment, escape and reflection certainly, but in the best cases, for upliftment and even personal transformation (most certainly true of A Man For All Seasons).

While the term ‘court-room drama’ instantly causes my eyes to glaze over, I’m always surprised that most of the movies I consider personally transforming and ennobling contain a heavy court-room aspect - Twelve Angry Men, The Verdict and To Kill a Mockingbird for starters. If you (all readers) haven’t seen it before, I’d highly recommend Amazing Grace, the 2006 film about William Wilberforce and his fight to abolish slavery in the British Empire. I just upgraded my DVD to the DTP Entertainment AG Blu-ray from Germany (English dialogue, but only German sub-titles - Regions A and B). An outstanding movie and a beautiful Blu-ray too! [N.B. this is a different movie to that of 1974 offered by Olive, despite the same title]

Finally Mike, as Almighty RAH has said in other posts about other movies, I truly envy your wife for being able to see A Man For All Seasons for the very first time – a chance I’ll never get again.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Dheiner said:
You guys are bums. BUMS, I tell ya'.

Me? I can stop any time I want to.... I just don't want to yet....I have to wait for the complete set of the 9 Star Wars flicks, at least.......

But, any time after that, I can stop cold.
More power to you John! ...but brother, isn't it time to wake up to yourself and come in from the cold?

Say it with me now: "My name is ... I am a discaholic!"

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
Hi, my name is Cliff and I'm a discaholic!

I started my library life with LD's when I was working at Pioneer. (Do you know how many discs you accumulate when you work there?) Then came CD-i, while it didn't go anywhere, I still have a handful of movies and bunch of games, most un-opened, I got them all and the Philips CDI-220 player from Pioneer too since they weren't doing anything with it, it failed, get rid of it! (I'll take it!)

Finally, LD's but smaller, something called DVD, smaller disc, better picture and sound, sold!

What's this? High definition DVD's? Oh, two formats? Which one? I know, both!

Yes, I have thinned out all the collections over time but still have way too many but it's OK, because I don't have a problem. I have no problem finding and buying discs, NOT finding and buying them would be a problem!

Wouldn't you agree? :P

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
hotrodguy said:
Hi, my name is Cliff and I'm a discaholic!

I started my library life with LD's when I was working at Pioneer. (Do you know how many discs you accumulate when you work there?) Then came CD-i, while it didn't go anywhere, I still have a handful of movies and bunch of games, most un-opened, I got them all and the Philips CDI-220 player from Pioneer too since they weren't doing anything with it, it failed, get rid of it! (I'll take it!)

Finally, LD's but smaller, something called DVD, smaller disc, better picture and sound, sold!

What's this? High definition DVD's? Oh, two formats? Which one? I know, both!

Yes, I have thinned out all the collections over time but still have way too many but it's OK, because I don't have a problem. I have no problem finding and buying discs, NOT finding and buying them would be a problem!

Wouldn't you agree? :P
Cliff, you are obviously an old hand at this. Welcome aboard - you're among friends! My respects to you, and thanks for the awesome post!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RMajidi said:
Ah yes! How sorely I regret selling off my entire vinyl collection through my brother's record store in the 80's, once CD's arrived in a big way. Won't be repeating that massive blunder with my movie disc collection!

Ramin, I also sold my 350+ LP collection in the 80s, and the way I date that event by the fact that the last of my records were sold in what had to be 1985, because it was early fall, and the original Back To The Future was still in theaters here in Northeast Ohio.

BTW, what a terrific idea, for you to launch a thread concerning A Man For All Seasons. I'll sure be an enthusiastic contributor, and try to be one of the first, to your creation.

And, yes I sure agree that my wide, Nina, is lucky in having the chance to see A Man For All Seasons for the 1st time, once the Blu-ray has arrived.

I've really got to lie down. Every evening I vow to turn in at a decent hour like midnight to 1am, but more and more it's been like this, 5:10am now.

Did see a good movie last night I'd recorded on DVD off of Turner Classic Movies on our cable system. The film was a 1943 nominee for the Oscar for Best Picture (Casablanca won) Watch On The Rhine with Bette Davis and Paul Lukas, who did win the Best Actor Oscar for his role.

Anyway, so amazing to be able to share an interest in movies with people from all over the world. Ramin, with you being literally on the other side of the world, and for this to not be some kind of expensive long distance communication, really seems like something that can be described as a technological

miracle, without being corny.

But, I'd better hit the hay, or else I'll just be drifting off to sleep, when my dog gets me up to go out.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Hi, my name is Biff, and I'm a discaholic... before that I was a cassettaholic. I trace this debilitating condition back to December 26, 1979...

som mhv vhs.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
WilliamMcK said:
Hi, my name is Biff, and I'm a discaholic... before that I was a cassettaholic. I trace this debilitating condition back to December 26, 1979...

attachicon.gif
som mhv vhs.jpg
Magnificent! I was a tape-worm once too, and still have many cassettes gathering dust. Unlike my foolish Great Vinyl Purge of 1984, I held on to my cassettes. I can't even recall why!

Welcome aboard Biff! I'm sure you'll feel at home basking in the understanding acceptance of fellow discaholics here!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks