What's new

Blu-ray Review The Sure Thing Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Sure Thing Blu-ray Review

In the 1980s, teen comedies usually meant crude humor with sex-crazed teenagers trying to get a hot date with the school’s head cheerleader. So, for Rob Reiner to choose The Sure Thing as his follow-up to This Is Spinal Tap in 1985 may have seemed like an odd choice back then, looking back at his filmography today, it makes perfect sense.

Studio: Anchor Bay

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA, English 5.1 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH

Rating: PG-13

Run Time: 1 Hr. 35 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray

Blu-ray keepcase

Disc Type: BD25 (single layer)

Region: A

Release Date: 03/24/2015

MSRP: $24.97

The Production Rating: 4/5

I hope you appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune.

Walter ”Gib” Gibson (John Cusack) is a fast-talking college student still looking for that right pick-up line to charm a woman into dating him. Even his chunky roommate is having better luck than him, and offers Gib some advice with a monologue that has worked for him. Gib goes for broke and tries it on the attractive, intellectual that sits next to him in English class, Alison (Daphne Zuniga), during a tutoring session, and fails miserably (and hilariously). Gib’s buddy from high school, Lance (Anthony Edwards), who is attending college at UCLA, invites Gib to come out over winter break, promising him a sure thing with a bikini-clad blonde (Nicolette Sheridan). The only catch is Gib has to get to Los Angeles before this Sure Thing leaves. Penniless, Gib signs up to share a ride with two yuppies, Gary Cooper (Tim Robbins) and Mary Ann Webster (Lisa Jane Persky), and, of course, Alison, who is along for the ride to meet up with her long-distance boyfriend (Boyd Gaines). After an argument over spontaneity between Gib and Alison, which results in Gary being cited for several traffic violations, Gary kicks the two out of the car, leaving them stranded on the side of the road somewhere in the MidWest. Forced to travel together, the two opposites begin rubbing off on one another, as sparks of attraction and love begin to take root, only to be seemingly undone by the time they reach UCLA.

The Sure Thing, while not a perfect film, achieved two important things. First, it changed the perception of what a teen comedy could be, essentially taking Frank Capra’s It Happened One Night, and making its leading characters much younger and more modern, and dispatching most of the crude humor typically associated with the genre (the major exception being Gib’s roommate’s letter to Penthouse). Rob Reiner shows he has a hand early in his career for romantic comedy, which would prove useful later on with When Harry Met Sally. Secondly, it launched the career of John Cusack, who had been in a few supporting roles in other teen comedies (Sixteen Candles) prior to The Sure Thing, and Cusack was able to milk this type of character for the rest of the decade in films like Better Off Dead, Hot Pursuit, and One Crazy Summer, finally perfecting and graduating with his role as Lloyd Dobler in Cameron Crowe’s Say Anything. What makes the film work is the chemistry between Cusack and Zuniga, seeing Gib become more mature and responsible, while Alison becomes more adventurous. Sure, the ending is predictable, but aren’t most romantic comedies?

Video Rating: 3.5/5  3D Rating: NA

The transfer provided to Shout! Factory by MGM is serviceable and an improvement over the previous home video versions that have been available. Retaining the film’s intended theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1, the transfer has been compressed using the AVC codec. Colors are consistent and for the most part accurate and not overly saturated, but contrast wanes from acceptable to almost blooming in some instances. Detail is quite good with no visible digital tinkering, although the image does exhibit some occasional softness while still retaining visible film grain. The print also has some minor and very brief amounts of dirt and debris that are likely baked into the negative. All in all, this is likely the best The Sure Thing is going to look.

Audio Rating: 3/5

Shout! Factory has provided the original mono mix in 2.0 and a 5.1 remix, both in DTS-HD Master Audio. While the mono is faithful to how The Sure Thing likely sounded in theaters 30 years ago, it is still rather flat and lifeless, but does its job by providing clear and understandable dialogue. The 5.1 mix opens things up a bit, providing a little more room for the classic 80s music to breathe, behaving more like a 3.0 mix with little to no engagement from the surrounds and LFE channels.

Special Features Rating: 3.5/5

Most of the special features from the 2003 MGM DVD release have been ported over, and nothing else. Missing is the subtitle trivia track.

Audio Commentary with Director Rob Reiner: This is a satisfying track, with Reiner discussing the casting process, tidbits on the production, and his lack of involvement (out of embarrassment) in shooting the opening title sequence.

Road to “The Sure Thing” (480i; 26:16): A look at the making of the film, including interviews with Rob Reiner, producer Roger Birnbaum, John Cusack, Daphne Zuniga, Nicolette Sheridan, and writers Steven L. Bloom and Jonathan Roberts.

Casting “The Sure Thing” (480i; 7:18): An interview with casting directors Jane Jenkins and Janet Hirshenson.

Reading “The Sure Thing” (480i; 5:00): Writer Steven Bloom reads the original story treatment for the film.

Dressing “The Sure Thing” (480i; 8:48): An interview with Costume Designer Durinda Wood.

Theatrical Trailer (480i; 2:56)

Overall Rating: 4/5

Rob Reiner took the teen comedy and transformed it into a sweet romantic comedy with his second directorial effort in The Sure Thing. While Shout! Factory is calling this release a 30th Anniversary edition, there are no new special features included, but the video and audio presentation are a nice upgrade to the now 12-year old DVD release.

Reviewed By: Todd Erwin

Support HTF when you buy this title:

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I still have the original DVD which I bought when it was released. This has always been one of my favorite romantic comedies since I first saw it in its theatrical engagement. If you've never seen it, I think you'll be surprised at how good it is. So this was an upgrade for me regardless.

Watch for Viveca Lindfors in a small but wonderful role as an English Professor. Her advice: "Make Love In A Hammock! Life is the ultimate experience! You have to live it to write about it!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks