What's new

How to connect all components through HTiB so they all have surround sound (1 Viewer)

llanita

Auditioning
Real Name
Pilar
Hi,
I would like to connect all my components so that they all get surround sound. Right now I have my HTiB connected to the sat receiver.
I want to connect my Blu ray player so that it also uses surround sound.
my HTiB does not have a Digital Audio hook up. All components have an HDMI hook up cable.
Please explain as if you were speaking to a dummy.
Thank you

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pilar:

Can you give us the make/model of your HTIB?

And, what other components do you have other than your Blu-ray player and Satellite Receiver?

llanita

Auditioning
Real Name
Pilar
Wow thanks so much for the welcome and the quick response!

My HTiB is Sony DVD Home theater system

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can you find a model number on it anywhere?

Something like DAV TZ-140? Or, BDV N5200?

And what else are you hooking up to it outside of your satellite TV and Blu-ray? Anything?

llanita

Auditioning
Real Name
Pilar
Make/Model DAV-HDX265 for my HTiB
I have it connected to my Directv receiver, and that goes to my SonyTV.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
That HTiB unit is pretty limited on inputs. You only have one set of analog (RCA red and white) inputs to work with on it. If your TV has analog audio outputs you can connect your sources to your TV and feed the HTiB from it. If it doesn't you can get a optical to RCA converter that should allow you to use the optical audio output on the TV. I don't know if you're going to get DD out to the HTiB but you can at least run them in PLII which is better than nothing.

This is probably the best reason that we recommend that most folks go with an AVR instead of a HTiB. The flexibility and expansion capabilities are so much greater. I'm not trying to be negative I'm just trying to educate you a little bit.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks.

HERE's the manual for that unit.

I've gotten us this far. Now I'm afraid we'll need to wait for some of the experts to explain how best for you to do things.

But the only inputs to the receiver are analog stereo audio jacks. This is one of the problems with Sony HTIB systems. In a system truly designed for more than one source, the receiver would be the hub (or brains) of the system. All of the sources (the Blu-ray player, the Satellite/cable box, etc.) would input into the receiver and the receiver would then output to the TV and speakers.

But in this case, you can't do that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is this a new purchase? Can you return it?

Or, do you need to make do with this and figure out the best way to go?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's an example of an HTIB we might recommend to someone new to the forum. An Onkyo 5600.

There are various Onkyo systems available depending upon features and price considerations.

This receiver, you will see, has four HDMI inputs. You would run HDMI cables from your sat dish and Blu player into the receiver and then one from the receiver to the TV. You select which source you want to watch at the receiver and then the proper video signal is sent to the TV and the audio signal is sent to the speakers & subwoofer. And then you can add/subtract/change components as the mood/need fits.

My son has an Onkyo unit similar to this and it sounds really awesome!

llanita

Auditioning
Real Name
Pilar
This is it. I've had this HTiB for a few years now. Its been fine because I used to watch DVDs on my HTiB, but that doesn't work anymore so I thought I'd connect the Blu-ray to watch DVDs.

My TV has red and white inputs. Audio Out.
Right now, my HTib is connected to sat receiver with the red and white plugs.

Mike Freson I appreciate all your help and input. Hopefully someone can get me all set up.
If I did connect my sources to the TV and then go from TV to HTiB, then I wouldn't get surround sound at all?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
llanita said:
If I did connect my sources to the TV and then go from TV to HTiB, then I wouldn't get surround sound at all?

No you might not get Dolby Digital but you would be able to use a simulated surround sound field such as Dolby Pro Logic 2 (DPL II) with this setup. You would still get all five speakers plus the sub playing.

If your TV has the red and white outputs then you should be able to hook up both the BRP and the settop box to it via HDMI and use them to hook into your HTiB. Should be painless. Now if you want to make sure that you're getting full Dolby Digital you're going to have to look into getting different equipment.

llanita

Auditioning
Real Name
Pilar
Thanks so much ArmSC, I will try that.

Do I also use the HDMI between HTiB and TV? As well as the red and white?

I may have to come back if I have problems though, what with me being so clueless.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Only if you want to use the DVD player...which is kind of pointless now that you have a Blu-Ray player. I wouldn't because most TV's are only going to have limited number of inputs and there's no reason because it's redundant. Just hook up all the sources (cable box and Blu-Ray) via HDMI and hook the red and white outputs to the HTiB. If you do that you should be set. You're very welcome for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks