What's new

Bloodborne (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So far, this is the best new IP I've played on any platform... I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition, but what they do with Bloodborne is really the full effect of new systems. The reviews, snipped below (referencing the reddit thread) are fantastic... and it is well deserved.

Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5/5[2]

CGM: 9.5/10[3]

It’s safe to assume that not everybody is going to enjoy Bloodborne. It’s such a harsh and unforgiving game that newcomers might be turned off by some of the vagueness in the story and the soul crushing losses that will inevitably occur over its course. Those that are up for the challenge of Bloodborne are going to find a game that plays better, looks better, and has more to keep you occupied than any of the Souls games had.

Destructoid: 9/10[4]

All in all, the game is exactly what Souls fans have been hoping for in this new generation of consoles. It’s gorgeous, terrifying, relentless and highly addictive. There’s so much depth to this game that it’s impossible to go over everything, and there will be many surprises in store over the next few months as swarms of Hunters descend on Yarnham and explore its twisted alleyways and endless secrets.

Digital Spy: 5/5[5]

A hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme title. Check out more reviews or the Destructoid score guide.

EGM Now: 9.5/10[6]

I want to keep playing, I want to discover its secrets, I want to fight every monster, try every weapon, discuss theories and explore as many of the community dungeons as possible. To put it bluntly, I want to bleed the game dry.

The Escapist: 4.5/5[7]

Though built on the same core as the Souls games, Bloodborne marks the largest departure from the status quo to date. The numerous changes, many in service of a faster and more aggressive playstyle, might not be for everyone, but if you embrace that shift, you might well have a new favorite in the From Software canon.

Game Informer: 9.75/10[8]

While the load times are a pretty big bummer, it doesn't change the fact that Bloodborne's combat is sublime, its challenge is second to none, and its world is unforgettable.

Game Revolution: 4/5[9]

Bloodborne is a blood-drenched horror gem that has only the faintest of cracks in its façade. Bloodborne succeeds through sparse storytelling, lush atmospheres (conjuring up notions of the best of Lovecraft’s work), and tight combat that forces you to be aggressive. While this new IP doesn’t stray far from the established Souls franchise, it is a magical, wondrous work that admirably instills both terror and triumph in those brave enough to delve into it.

Gamespot: 9/10[10]

Though not as refined and freeform as some of its predecessors, it continues in the longstanding Souls tradition of lending credence to challenging games and making the seemingly Sisphyean task of conquering ruthless, malformed monstrosities possible and downright commendable. Bloodborne may feel like a shapeshifted offshoot of the Souls series, but it remains a beast which carries that elite badge of honor for those who can slay it.

GamesRadar: 4.5/5[11]

As with the Souls games, Bloodborne doesn't typically tell you where to go and what to do when you get there. You are given a few vague, overarching goals, but the intricately interconnected regions and pathways, along with nebulous visual cues, lead you to your destination. If you get stuck, it means you are applying video game logic to a game in which that logic doesn't apply.

Gaming Age: Grade A[12]

Bloodborne lies somewhere between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, better than the latter but not quite as good as the former. The fourth time following the same template means the master strokes, however masterful they are, are anticipated. But take nothing away from this brilliant, brooding, brutal reinvention, because almost as great as the best game ever is pretty bloody great.

Gaming Nexus: 9/10[13]

As expected, Bloodborne is a very difficult game, but it doesn't punish you because it was made to punish, it simply requires your full attention to make any progress. Players of past Souls games know what to expect with the level of difficulty, while new players may seem overwhelmed after the first few deaths. Keep in mind that there are no impossible areas in Bloodborne, everything can be conquered, you just have to think and focus on what you are doing.

Game Trailers: 9.6/10[14]

Although I have played all of the Souls games, even reviewing the PC version of Dark Souls, they have never hooked me in the manner that Bloodborne has. It feels more accessible and better paced than all of the rest, which is how it sucks you into its world. The experience is engrossing, in an extremely sadistic sort of way. It isn’t nice to you—it is actually downright cruel at times—but you will find yourself coming back to it again and again, unable to turn your back, even though you know your next death is only moments away.

Gaming Trend: 95/100[15]

Between the expansive story, PvP, Chalice Dungeons, the significantly harder new game plus mode, and the countless number of secrets, Bloodborne seems almost limitless. Yet breadth wouldn’t matter if the game wasn’t so captivating. Several moments had us in awe, making us feel things we haven’t felt since the original Dark Souls. Whatever it takes, find a way to join the ranks of the hunters.

Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5[16]

Filled with depth, rewarding in combat, bleeding atmosphere like the lycan blood that coats the bricks of Yharnam’s old roads, there are few experiences that can compare to Bloodborne. Those who seek a truly comprehensive gaming experience need only play Miyazaki’s masterpiece and let themselves become enthralled in the hunt.

The Jimquisition: 10/10[17]

Make no mistake: Bloodborne will put hair on your chest. There will be disagreement on whether or not it’s harder than the Souls series, but it’s clear From Software did not dumb down the formula. It will be interesting to see how the general public reacts to such a punishing experience, but those who brave it will be rewarded with a true sense of accomplishment rarely felt in the medium.

Bloodborne is as glorious as it is grotesque, a harsh and unyielding exercise in getting battered mercilessly while feeling encouraged the whole painful way. While very much a Souls game through and through, the switch from methodical and slow progression to a faster, ultimately more savage environment provides just enough of a twist to give it a wholly unique feel, a more empowering journey, for both the player and the opposition.

MMGN: 95/100[18]

NZ Gamer: 8.9/10[19]

As a single player RPG experience, it's unmatched or unlike any other - aside from its spiritual predecessors. With multiplayer servers going live upon release, the franchise's signature co-op and PvP play is sure to extend the playtime and possibilities of Bloodborne by a huge amount, especially with the introduction of Chalice Dungeons into the mix.

PlayStation LifeStyle: 9/10[20]

Bloodborne lends heavily from its forebears, but transforms the combat into a fast-paced dance of death. It rewards aggression rather than hanging back and waiting for opportunities to present themselves. While some technical, design, and pacing issues mar parts of the experience, Bloodborne is the freshest playing entry in a genre that has very narrow gameplay constraints.

PlayStation Universe: 9.5/10[21]

The PlayStation 4 finally has its exclusive killer RPG. Bloodborne is punishingly hard, but like the Souls series, not unfairly so. If you go into this game accepting of death and the lessons that it imparts on you, then you will have a much better time than if you were to approach the game thinking you were the next Kratos.

The Telegraph: 5/5[22]

So masterful is the design that you'll be second-guessing yourself as to whether or not a potential excursion to some available stretch of terrain will be worth it in fear of not being able to safeguard from a potential - and indeed inevitable - death with that of a lantern. It's that sort of organic tension, the fear of what you can't actually see or anticipate, that makes Bloodborne peerless in many respects.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I want to want to play this, but I'm not actually sure that I want to play it. It looks pretty and the reviews are stellar, but it seems like a huge time investment that I'm not convinced I want to make. Plus, I gave up on Demon's Souls after like 3 hours because it just wasn't fun.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm picking this up later this week. I have been a fan of From Software since 1995. King's Field for the PS1(thank you ASCII Entertainment) is still one of my all time favorite games. I love Dark Souls and it looks like Bloodborne is very similar in gameplay.

I would love a new King's Field game for current gen. But I'm sure that is just wishful thinking.....unfortunately.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yup, tough as nails. Just as expected. Beautiful world, dark and creepy. Like Dark Souls this will take a bit to learn the routine.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bloodborne.jpg

This is my character. I encountered the first boss(Cleric Beast I think he is named) and promptly got decimated. My friend who is also addicted to this game tells me to grind-Return to Hunter's Dream realm and level up. He tells me then it is much, much easier. Think I will work on that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is official, I love this game. I guess the real surprise is that I love it more Than the Dark Souls outings. Dark Souls was a fantasy action RPG, which I thought would be the pinnacle of the From Software line of games. That is until they took a stab at Gothic horror in Bloodborne. Playing Bloodborne is like playing a demented version of a classic Hammer horror movie. So much beautiful creepy atmosphere in a 19th century setting(although I can't be sure, just going by what my eyes are telling me). Also it feels easier than Dark Souls(but not by much) because item drops seem much more frequent. Blood viles(health potions) are very easy to get, and you will have a max 20 in no time.

So my advice-------GRIND! Kill, kill kill the monsters Return to the Hunter's Dream, and level up. Add to your strength, and Vitality, and the game becomes much easier. Also fortify your weapon, as you want to do as much damage as inhumanly possible.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Boss battles-get schooled/destroyed whatever(has anyone beaten a boss on first encounter? I doubt it) return to boss area ring the bell to summon a player or two from the depths of the online community-go back in, and eliminate the creature together. It really is quite a tense situation, as you don't want to let the other player down by getting killed leaving him to battle the big grusome alone, and vice versa I assume. And also you really want to kill it to progress to the new locations. Anyway it is so much easier this way than going alone.

I am progressing nicely, and about 30 hours in. I'm having a blast.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
What would you compare the gameplay to? Shadows of Mordor? Or more of a RPG like Final Fantasy?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Whew! On the closing stretch of the game. I have been taking my time, and I have to tell you this is one of the most satisfying games I have played in a very long time. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end. Castle Cainhurst has been my favorite area so far.

I'll try and beat it by the end of this week.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And done!

Unfortunately I only got two of the three items to get the best possible ending, but mine wasn't the worst either.

Overall it was almost perfect with my only complaint being that some areas were left unexplored when I beat it, and second play through has all areas locked again.
Never been a big fan of that except for the original Dead Rising on the 360 because it so darn tough first run, second time through was just fun.

With Bloodborne, I am exhausted. No way I'd do a second play through.
With the grinding, and farming I'd say I have well over80 hours playtime.
Won't be revisiting this for a long time if ever.
Might get Dark Souls 2 scholar edition, but I'll wait to play it.
These games of FROM Software are really something unique. Since the original Kings Field to Bloodborne all have this huge immersive feel to them. Meaning I can't quit if I tried or until it is finished. But once I beat it-hard as nails to start it up again. I beat King's Field in 1996, and although it is one of my favorite games I'll be darned ..just can't bring myself to get back into it...and this is almost 20 years later.
Anyway great game this Bloodborne.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks