What's new

John Huston films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Feature films directed by John Huston only. No acting roles or narration or short films. Non U.S. titles have region playable info. Red titles are not on blu-ray.

1941 The Maltese Falcon - Warner
1942 In This Our Life
1942 Across the Pacific

1948 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Warner
1948 Key Largo
1949 We Were Strangers
1950 The Asphalt Jungle
1951 The Red Badge of Courage

1952 The African Queen - Paramount
1952 Moulin Rouge – Vertice Cine – Spain (Region A playable) + Elephant Films - France
1953 Beat the Devil – Coming Soon from Film Detective
1956 Moby Dick – Hollywood Gold Series - Australia (Region A playable)
1957 Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison – Twilight Time
1958 The Barbarian and the Geisha – 20th Century Fox
1958 The Roots of Heaven – Twilight Time
1960 The Unforgiven - Kino Video
1961 The Misfits - MGM
1962 Freud
1963 The List of Adrian Messenger
1964 The Night of the Iguana

1966 The Bible – 20th Century Fox
1967 Reflections in a Golden Eye – Warner - France (Region B locked and non removable subtitles)
1969 Sinful Davey
1969 A Walk with Love and Death

1970 The Kremlin Letter – Filmedia - France (Region A playable)
1972 Fat City – Wild Side - France (Region A playable)
1972 The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
1973 The Mackintosh Man

1975 The Man Who Would Be King - Warner
1979 Wise Blood
1980 Phobia
1981 Victory

1982 Annie – Sony Pictures
1984 Under the Volcano – Coming in June 2015 - Odeon – U.K.
1985 Prizzi's Honor – Underground - Spain (Region A playable)
1987 The Dead

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
And in a completely different vein, his last effort is the most rewarding. To me, at least. I felt as if I had just left the presence of a master. Two masters, really: Joyce and Huston.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
lukejosephchung said:
If I recall correctly, Twilight Time has the rights from Fox for "Moby Dick" and plan to release it on blu-ray later this year...
If it looks better than my Aussie import I will buy it, otherwise I'll save $34. Warner Archive told me that they're considering several of these titles for a blu-ray release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
This sort of post really intrigues me as I am often a director-centric buyer. Thank you, Mike. Night of the Iguana is near the top of my BD want list.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just for the record, ACROSS THE PACIFIC's original release prints were sepia toned. I saw one at MoMA. It'd be nice if a BD were released with the sepia tone.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Only one I'm hanging out for on bluray -- "The Dead" -- and considering the unbelievable treatment this movie has had on home video, especially on dvd, it would be most fitting if someone like Criterion took this movie and gave it the full treatment with a complete restoration.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
mikeyhitchfan said:
If it looks better than my Aussie import I will buy it, otherwise I'll save $34. Warner Archive told me that they're considering several of these titles for a blu-ray release.

Victory is currently locked up in the Archive, but it's not the kind of thing they'd look at for Blu-ray any time soon.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thanks for this review Mike. It proved a valuable checklist; turns out I own most of John Huston's films already on Blu.

Any idea of the condition of the French or Spanish releases of Moulin Rouge?

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
A GOOD Blu-ray of MOULIN ROUGE would be something I would like - especially for the whole, lengthy opening sequence in the Moulin Rouge nightclub. (Although it always amazes me how poorly Zsa Zsa Gabor lip synchs that song. It is so obvious. You can't help but think, if this was the best the editor had to choose from, what were the other takes like?)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The French BD of Moulin Rouge is nice but certainly not optimal. It is a great improvement over the DVD, however, and is about as good as I'm guessing we'll ever see. Subtitles ARE removable, thank God.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The Spanish BD of Moulin Rouge is the same as the French one. Removable subtitles. Nice detail and color. This was digitally restored and is likely the same source used for both. There's some very minor print damage & speckles here and there, but a nice upgrade.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
bujaki said:
Just for the record, ACROSS THE PACIFIC's original release prints were sepia toned. I saw one at MoMA. It'd be nice if a BD were released with the sepia tone.

I don't doubt what you saw but I can't find any reference to this anywhere. There was a colorized version years ago from Turner.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I did not know this disc existed until Mike reminded me about the Fat City disc and it showed up on the page when I went to look for that. I just ordered it so nice to know people think it looks good.

Just as an aside, my favorite late model Huston film is Under the Volcano which I think is just a tremendous film. It is beautifully shot and Albert Finney gives an amazing performance that was easily one of the best in his career and the man has had a fantastic career.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks