What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wicked Lady -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Michael Winner's 1983 re-make of the 1945 Gainsborough production has one major factor going for it.

Jack Cardiff's cinematography.

While it's a fun film, it seems almost as though someone forgot to update the 1945 version, with the exception of graphic gore and a bit of nudity.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray is a quality release, with superb color and resolution.  Everything seems to be in place.

If you're a fan of Mr. Cardiff's work, this is a film to seen.  If not, best to go for the original version with Margaret Lockwood and James Mason, which was shot by Jack Cox (We Dive at Dawn, The Lady Vanishes - there's the Margaret Lockwood connection.)

I presume that if one desired, this could be considered a bit of a Tom Jones-type romp, with a very wicked Faye Dunaway doing her thing.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, it's not very good but I'm sort of a Faye Dunaway completist so this is on my wish list. Good to hear it looks good at least.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thomas T said:
As I recall, it's not very good but I'm sort of a Faye Dunaway completist so this is on my wish list. Good to hear it looks good at least.

Speaking of being a completist Thomas, has THE DISAPPEARANCE OF AIMEE ever made it beyond VHS?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Will Krupp said:
Speaking of being a completist Thomas, has THE DISAPPEARANCE OF AIMEE ever made it beyond VHS?

No, it hasn't at least in region 1. Since it has two of my favorite actresses Dunaway and Bette Davis I would be all over this if it came out. I believe it was one of those Hallmark telefilms so I have no idea where the rights reside.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I think Faye Dunaway was THE single most exciting actress of the 1970's with nary a misstep, but by the early 1980's she just seemed to fall apart as she made one terrible choice after another. I wouldn't mind SEEING this one again (it used to air endlessly, or so it seemed, on HBO back in the day) but I can't see myself buying it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of post Mommie Dearest films that I actually enjoyed. There's Barfly, of course, which is probably her best post MD film from the 80s. But I like a potboiler called Midnight Crossing and a piece of TV trash called Beverly Hills Madam. I found Crossing to have had potential but it's bungled but it's still fun. BHM is fun in a trashy Valley Of The Dolls kind of way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks