What's new

Apollo 13 20th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

81W7N0lw8aL._SL1500_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there any reason to buy this release if I already one the previous blu ray? What I would buy is a blu ray of From the Earth to The Moon from HBO.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Looks like the studios are getting busy doing 4k remasters for the next format. I don't want to fall into the trap of buying a bunch of double dips on Blu-ray only to see them being bettered on a new format in 1-2 years.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
In this case, I do not mind since I never owned the previous BD release and 4K equipment in my Home Theater is still a long way out. I will gladly accept a 1080p Blu-Ray properly done and I only have to wait for June.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I currently don't own a Blu-ray copy of APOLLO 13 so I may buy it.

Have it on DVD, but I think this film is worth the upgrade.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Johnny Angell said:
Is there any reason to buy this release if I already one the previous blu ray? What I would buy is a blu ray of From the Earth to The Moon from HBO.

The press release says it is "newly restored and remastered from high resolution 35mm original film elements", so I take that to mean a new and different master and transfer from the orignal Blu-ray. I have the original, and there is room for video improvement.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
The press release says it is "newly restored and remastered from high resolution 35mm original film elements", so I take that to mean a new and different master and transfer from the orignal Blu-ray. I have the original, and there is room for video improvement.
Yes, but be careful. Universal just released "The Breakfast Club" newly remastered. Despite the warmer color timing the video is practically identical to the previous Blu-Ray. A complete unwarranted double dip.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
seangood79 said:
Glad to see they opted not to use the low resolution 35mm original film elements.

Yes, what exactly does it mean? If they're using the original negative, why wouldn't they say that? It makes me think they are using elements that are close to the negative generationally speaking, rather than something 3 or 4 generations removed as is the case with some much older film transfers.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Jeff Robertson said:
In this case, I do not mind since I never owned the previous BD release and 4K equipment in my Home Theater is still a long way out. I will gladly accept a 1080p Blu-Ray properly done and I only have to wait for June.

Agreed.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
Yes, but be careful. Universal just released "The Breakfast Club" newly remastered. Despite the warmer color timing the video is practically identical to the previous Blu-Ray. A complete unwarranted double dip.

Have you watched the new version?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Isn't this one of the few titles that the HD-DVD release is considered superior by a fair margin?

Hopefully the new release is better than the last.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
LeoA said:
Isn't this one of the few titles that the HD-DVD release is considered superior by a fair margin?

Hopefully the new release is better than the last.
I certainly consider the HD-DVD the go-to version of this film. The current Blu-ray looks too processed to me.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
"Newly restored and remastered from high resolution 35mm original film elements!"

.....from the Universal press release is the reason I have ordered this despite already owning the BD, HD-DVD, several DVD's, several LD's etc etc (the DTS LD sounds absolutely incredible BTW even though it does have minor lipsync issues not sure if they are the dubbing on the movie or just a technical fault).

Back in 1995 this was a terrific theatrical experience at the Empire Leicester Square Screen 1 in DTS :D

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Dave H said:
Have you watched the new version?
Yes. There is nothing wrong it, looks great. But the first Blu release looks great too, and I prefer it for the color(cooler tones, new one is much warmer).
A waste of $15 for me, as I will most likely not watch the 30th edition again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Digital Bits confirms that the 20th Anniversary Edition of Apollo 13 will "feature a brand new 4K high resolution remaster with DRS and color correction scanned from the original 35mm film negative." I'll need to see some screencap comparisons before I decide whether it's worth the money to double dip. In a case like Twilight Time's Journey to the Center of the Earth, it's night and day, but I'm not sure the difference will be that large for Apollo 13.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks