What's new

42nd Street (1933) via Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
From WAC's Facebook page:

11075264_10153192175036563_9009648929780750364_n.jpg

42nd STREET (1933)
New 2015 1080p HD restoration direct from its World Premiere screening at the upcoming TCM Film Festival

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Subtitles: English SDH
Discs: One 50GB Blu-ray Disc
Run Time: 89 Minutes
B&W

Special Features: (SD except where noted)
“FROM BOOK TO SCREEN TO STAGE” (2006 Retrospective documentary)
“HOLLYWOOD NEWSREEL” (Vintage WB Short Subject)
“A TRIP THRU A HOLLYWOOD STUDIO” (Vintage WB Short Subject)
"HARRY WARREN-AMERICA’S FOREMOST COMPOSER” (Vintage WB Short Subject)
“THE 42ND STREET SPECIAL” (Vintage WB Promotional Newsreel)
“YOUNG AND HEALTHY” (Vintage WB 1933 Cartoon)
“SHUFFLE OFF TO BUFFALO” (Vintage WB 1933 Cartoon) (1080p HD)
ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Too funny! Somebody just posted earlier today that Warner Archive has only released one title this year and then we get this announcement.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
And the second great Busby Berkeley movie on Blu Ray (Lloyd Bacon notwithstanding.)

Now bring on the rest of them! WHOOPEE!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
revgen said:
Definitely deserving of a blu-ray release.

And undeserving of the Archive, when all the other Warner Berkeleys (Footlight Parade, Golddiggers of '33/'36, Varsity Show, Dames) already got a DVD boxset, back in the day.

When they're on the AFI 100, you have to...wait, what, it's not even on the AFI 100??

It was Warner's boxset and commentary that first turned me on to precode Warner-Berkeley musicals, and how wonderfully dark, gritty and filthy they were compared to the nice, clean Astaire RKO's. :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star.

My favourite is Gold Diggers Of 1933, but this is a close second, & I'll take 'em as they come.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I wish they'd put out at least a couple new titles each month. They have so many really great films that deserve BD releases. Countless new streaming only titles are announced regularly on the Archive Facebook page. Of course, I'm a non-streamer for various reasons, but I'd certainly buy more BDs if they were made available. Guess the thrill and excitement of actually owning a movie I really love just never wears off.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Billy Batson said:
You're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star.

My favourite is Gold Diggers Of 1933, but this is a close second, & I'll take 'em as they come.
My favorite hands down is FOOTLIGHT PARADE, which would be a terrific precode movie even without the Berkeley numbers, which are among his best. But 42ND STREET and GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 are among his very best as well. Bring them all on!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
42nd Street is just one of my alll-time favourites. Although I relish all the movies that came in the wonderful Warners box-set of a few years back, for me 'Footlight Parade' is memorable too for the wonderful 'Shanghai Lil' number.

Yes, I agree with Ejanss about the dark gritty feel of the musicals of that period ... but nothing tops my love for the light, bright Fred and Ginger cycle! Well, maybe 'Bugsy Malone' comes close, and 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' too. Luckily, both those are on Blu ray already.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Yes, I agree with Ejanss about the dark gritty feel of the musicals of that period ...

Nice to see how many fans here remembered that the correct line was "You've got to come back a star!"

When I was growing up, most people lumped the Warner-showgirl musicals in with the Fred & Gingers, thought all "old musicals", unquote, were all happy Depression-escaping fluff, and you can still find folks who think the line is "You're going to come back a star! :) "

No, that wasn't what he was saying--In Warner's show-musicals, the Depression was still there, chorus-girls needed the job, shows could die before they ever opened, and trying to get this opened is literally killing our hero producer.

Footlight Parade, also, deals with movies killing off the variety shows, leading to the movie-and-show of Radio City's days, and Golddiggers of '33 doesn't necessarily refer to their wearing shiny costumes.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It must have been hard on your mother, not having any children.

You remember Anne Lowell?
Not Anytime Annie? Say, who could forget 'er? She only said "No" once, and THEN she didn't hear the question!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks