What's new

The Avengers: Season 5 (UK - Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
To all,

The UK Blu-ray edition of The Avengers season 5 is now on pre-order at Amazon UK.
It is presented with seven discs: a good sign of quality.
Release date: June 22, 2015.
http://www.amazon.co.uk

Season 5 was the last season with actress Diana Rigg as Emma Peel
and the first one in full color.

Some unique episodes appeared that season:
"Epic"
"The Superlative Seven"
"Who's Who"
"The Fear Merchant"
"The Winged Avenger"
"The Living Dead"
"The Hidden Tiger"

Episode Guide:
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/series-5/index.html

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the link, John .

Has anyone heard if S4 is coming to Blu in the States? I have S5 from Lionsgate.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Although 7 discs should be better the Lionsgate 3 disc set is perfectly good quality albeit bereft of extras.

I can't recall where I read it but apparently Lionsgate only own the Bluray rights to series 5.

I'd be surprised if they go for series 4 after the complaints they got over series 5.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great news in the avengers coming to blu Ray! I am looking at getting a region free player and the avengers will be at the top of my list to buy.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Amazon UK just revealed the magnificent artwork for the season 5 Blu-Ray set.
Mrs. Peel has a wonderful way to carry the bowler hat.

810tXEMezoL._SL1500_.jpg

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
One of the reasons I finally picked up a region free blu-ray player was for these sets. I bought the UK release of season 4 and have season 5 on pre-order. The price fluctuates a bit but when found at the lower end and with the VAT removed it wasn't too bad shipped to the US.

I have the ultimate UK DVD set with the remastered picture. The blu-ray set shows some improvement over those, but I primarily did it for the audio with the corrected pitch (at least how we always heard it in the US). I'm not usually effected by audio speedup, but I guess in this case I've seen them enough over the years, plus all the discussion around it that I couldn't help but notice. The season 4 UK blu-ray release sounds exactly how I remembered it. I'm assuming season 5 will be the same.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
smithbrad said:
One of the reasons I finally picked up a region free blu-ray player was for these sets. I bought the UK release of season 4 and have season 5 on pre-order. The price fluctuates a bit but when found at the lower end and with the VAT removed it wasn't too bad shipped to the US.

I have the ultimate UK DVD set with the remastered picture. The blu-ray set shows some improvement over those, but I primarily did it for the audio with the corrected pitch (at least how we always heard it in the US). I'm not usually effected by audio speedup, but I guess in this case I've seen them enough over the years, plus all the discussion around it that I couldn't help but notice. The season 4 UK blu-ray release sounds exactly how I remembered it. I'm assuming season 5 will be the same.

It may be premature to assume Studio Canal will do the right thing so you may want to wait for a review.

As it stands the original restored masters for series 5 all include sound at 25p.

The UK dvd's come from those masters and even though the US Blu was adjusted to 24p the sound is still pitched incorrectly.

So nobody has yet seen an HD master for series 5 with the sound correct.

Its a brave man who risks lots of cash on an import that could still be wrong.

If I was a betting man I would think that SC have gone and corrected series 5 but I wouldn't be willing to bet too much on it

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
As a reminder, let's dive into the overview of this particular season.

THE FIFTH SEASON (1967)

producers Albert Fennell and Brian Clemens

executive producer Julian Wintle

composer Laurie Johnson

PRODUCTION RUNDOWN

It’s the first season in full color and the last one with Mrs. Emma Peel who stays away from any black-leathered clothes, except briefly in You Have Just Been Murdered. Clemens and Fennell takeover so therefore the series reinforces fantasy and science-fiction—thanks to writer Philip Levene who blossoms and dominates the season with twelve scripts, i.e., half the season—and the leading characters undergo modifications in their lifestyle: new flats and updated wardrobe, including Mrs. Peel’s psychedelic jumpsuits and Pop dresses designed by Alun Hughes. The main titles is also renewed and is loosely inspired by the 1965 US chessboard intro promo. The main novelties are two short scenes: a comic tag line caption to the episode title and a call-to-duty ritual scene that open the first sixteen episodes that end up with a message that reads: “Mrs Peel… We’re needed!”, accompanied by a dreamlike playful tune—perhaps, a nod to the tape scene from Mission: Impossible. Robert Day is the leading director of the season. Does that season just a color and Pop Art update? The same year Patrick McGoohan supervises the way-out The Prisoner. It’s the first season I experienced and, above all, the most homogenous in terms of overall quality.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Read the review from Amazon UK:

high definition wonderland

By Richard Bevan on 10 July 2015

I have both the UK blu-ray release and recent blu-ray from the USA.

This UK release is much better, the audio especially since it's the original mono

and not synthetic surround that makes the music sound like you're at the bottom of a barrel.
There are plenty of extras also (totally missing from the USA release).
The picture quality seems similar (although the US release is on fewer disks but I don't notice much difference).
While the quality is much better than DVD, it's not quite in the league of The Prisoner or The Professionals for vintage TV transferred to blu-ray.

There are plenty of hairs in frame and softness from time to time (often in close ups of Diana Rigg but sometimes of the other actors also).
One unintentional effect of the higher definition is that you can immediately spot the use of stunt doubles and stand ins (when the lead actors could not make it to location shots) and also outside scenes shot in the studio.

However this is inevitable considering how the show was shot, I would have liked some of the hairs removed though.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Curious the review would compare The Avengers to The Professionals when the latter was shot on 16mm.

If it wasn't for the awful audio on the US set I'd be happy to stick with it as the UK set remains as over priced as Studio Canal product always is.

At the moment series 5 is £54 compared to the US set at £14. I know which is the better deal and I don't think there's any extras on the Blu that weren't on the UK dvd set

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Still hoping for B&W Peel BD to arrive in the U.S. The Lionsgate S5 BD was very enjoyable to me.

Although not as high a priority I'd buy BD of the Tara and Purdey series as well.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The Professionals blu-ray looks amazing. You would never know it's 16mm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks