What's new

New technology - do I need a receiver? (1 Viewer)

tgp1994

Auditioning
Real Name
Glen
Greetings Everyone,

I had been using older technology for years... I think the most HD item in my setup was a DVD player connected via component cable.

I just recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV with pretty much all of the bells and whistles, although it is a little lacking in the inputs department. My old TV had loads of inputs, so it pretty much served as the source selector, then audio went out to our amplifier, which also happens to have some form of source selection.

The TV sort of clashes with this setup, if you will. I'm now limited to the quality of our amp, which just so happens to have RCA input/output for a few of my devices. The ultimate goal is to use our stereo speakers, currently connected to the amp.

Looking around, it would seem to be that my next obvious purchase is an audio video receiver. Most I've seen have many inputs, and number of methods for output, direct speaker output, and remote control (pretty important now I realize since the TV will refuse to adjust volume when using external speakers). I figure if I'm going to get a receiver though, I shouldn't cheap out and make sure I get one with HDMI input and output so it can connect to my TV properly, while supporting a wide range of devices at their best output.

The issue: receivers like that are expensive. I've already spent a good hunk of change of the TV, so the wallet is hurting. I'm wondering if there's another sort of device... One that can handle the input switching and maybe volume control, but pass the audio onto my amp? Some sort of device that may be cheaper than a full out receiver but still support the av inputs and outputs I need.

Thank you for any help!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Sounds like you're looking for a pre/pro to use with your existing amplifier from what your describing. The problem is that they are more expensive than a low even AVR. Jim gave you the best advice...look for a refurb AVR from A4L and you'll be in business. I'm thinking this Yamaha HTR-3066 for $170 would fit the bill nicely. It has 4 HDMI inputs, 2 optical, 2 digital coax, and also comes with their auto setup (YPAO) which makes getting it up and running so easy. You could step down to a slightly cheaper unit but I would stick with this one.

tgp1994

Auditioning
Real Name
Glen
ArmSC said:
Sounds like you're looking for a pre/pro to use with your existing amplifier from what your describing. The problem is that they are more expensive than a low even AVR. Jim gave you the best advice...look for a refurb AVR from A4L and you'll be in business. I'm thinking this Yamaha HTR-3066 for $170 would fit the bill nicely. It has 4 HDMI inputs, 2 optical, 2 digital coax, and also comes with their auto setup (YPAO) which makes getting it up and running so easy. You could step down to a slightly cheaper unit but I would stick with this one.

Yeah, I'm definitiely liking the looks of those inputs on the back there. I'm pretty unfamiliar with A4L and I'm surprised to see it even beating out Amazon/ebay for used AVR equipment when I was searching. I may have been searching for too much, though - I believe I set the filter criteria to 1080p since I figured it should be what the television can display at, but maybe that's unnecessary or people just don't list their products correctly. So A4L is a good place to go for purchases then?

tgp1994

Auditioning
Real Name
Glen
schan1269 said:
A4L has been recommended for ages.

Refurbs are a great way to save money.

Absolutely, I wouldn't dream of buying new right now :)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I appreciate it!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I've used Yamaha AVRs for years, and that one looks pretty good. Bear in mind that if you want to move up from 5.1, you'll outgrow that model. But there are some features that will future-proof your setup.

Some key things that model will give you:

- HDMI-CEC which means your TV (if it also supports CEC, which I guess it will, you said "all the bells & whistles") remote will control the amp (e.g. volume) and even the BD player (pause, play, fast forward), so long as HDMI-CEC (called Anynet by Samsung, Viera or something by Panasonic; yeah, the companies think it's cool to use a non-standard term, pfft)
- HDMI-ARC which carries Dolby Digital from broadcast TV or streaming apps back to the amp over the HDMI out cable to the TV. Yep, the video OUT from the AVR to the TV carries the digital audio back to the AVR to play on the speakers. Some TVs will call this SPDIF external speaker or some such
- Scenes ... I love this feature of Yamaha (caveat: other brand AVRs have a similar feature), you can enable an input, sound scheme, etc, with the push of a button
- Not sure if the 375 supports the iOS and Android apps (a remote-like app letting you control the AVR from your phone, tablet). Looks like you can play music from an iPod or other device via the front USB control. Handy for when the young people show up.

What else, Sam? I'm sure I'm overlooking something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks