– The Wild One – 21953

– The Lady From Shanghai – 1947

– Penguins of Madagascar – 2014

– Top Five – 2014

– Ride the Pink Horse – 1947

– Exodus: Gods and Kings – 2014

The Prices

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
Actress  $29.95
Annie [2014] $17.78 $17.99 $17.99
Arizona - 75th Anniversary Series $6.99
Big Picture, The - 25th Anniversary Series $5.19
Breaking Free: The Shale Rock Revolution $13.99
Dive Olly Dive and the Pirate Treasure $9.99
Divine Move, The $16.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings $14.99 $14.99 $15.99
Genghis Khan - 50th Anniversary Series $6.99
Ghost Whisperer: The Complete Series $50.69
Halo: Nightfall $11.99
Hester Street $17.99
Key Man, The $19.99
Maude: The Complete Series $99.99
Muck $9.96
Penguins of Madagascar $14.99 $14.99 $15.99
Physician, The $9.99
Ride the Pink Horse [Criterion Collection] $22.99
The Soft Skin [Criterion Collection] $22.99
Something Wicked $12.99
Song of the Sea $19.95 $17.99
Top Five $12.99 $12.99 $12.99
Vice $11.99
Vice and Virtue $17.99
Victory at Sea: The Feature Film $7.79
Way He Looks, The $17.99
White Line Fever - 40th Anniversary Series $6.99

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
Aguirre, the Wrath of God $17.82
Annie $22.86 $22.99 $22.99
Divine Move, The $19.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings $22.96 $19.99 $19.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings [Blu-ray 3-D] $24.96 $22.99 $24.99
The Greatest Story Ever Told $19.79
Halo: Nightfall $14.99
Hester Street $19.99
Lady from Shanghai, The $8.99
Mark of the Devil $27.99
Muck $17.15
My Girl $13.59
Penguins of Madagascar $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Penguinds of Madagascar [Blu-ray 3-D] $27.99 $22.99 $29.99
Ride the Pink Horse [Criterion Collection] $27.59
The Soft Skin [Criterion Collection] $27.59
Song of the Sea $24.93 $22.99
Top Five $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Troop Beverly Hills $13.59
Turn: Washington's Spies: The Complete First Season $34.99 $29.99
Vice $14.99
Vice and Virtue $19.99
Way He Looks, The $19.99
Wild One, The $8.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE Penguins of Madagascar lunchbox available for $4.99 with the purchase of the movie Penguins of Madagascar (Reg. price $7.99).

--Best Buy also is advertising $5 FaceBook coupons for Annie on DVD or Blu-ray..

--The following recent Blu-ray releases are on sale this week at Best Buy:

$19.99: Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, Lucy

$42.99: Game of Thrones: Season 4

--Best Buy is advertising a FREE BUNNY PLUSH when you spend $7.99 on participating titles this week (Reg. Price $4.99). Titles shown include: Hop $9.99 DVD/$12.99 Blu, Despicable Me 2 $11.99 DVD/$14.99 Blu, The BoxTrolls $14.99 DVD/$19.99 Blu.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: A list of DVDs for $4.99 apiece. List of titles available on BestBuy.com/MarchValueMovies..

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE BLU RELEASE of Penguins of Madagascar. Bonus disc featurette and two penguin toys.

--Target is also advertising $5 off, instantly, when you buy BOTH the 2014 Annie release on disc AND the CD soundtrack ($13.99). Target's Blu release of the film includes a "bonus disc with fashion, music and more." Target's CD includes two EXCLUSIVE songs. 

--Target also has an EXCLUSIVE retail Blu-ray release of Disney's animated One Hundred One Dalmatians II ($17.99).

--Target has a deal to get a FREE $10 Target Gift Card when you buy ANY TWO of the following TV on DVD releases:

$9.99: Orange is the New Black: Season 1

$14.99: The Walking Dead: S1

$19.99: Big Bang Theory: S7, Arrow: S2, Supernatural: S9.

$24.99: Sons of Anarchy: S7, American Horror Story: S3, Vikings: S2, Simpsons: S17, Downton Abbey: S5.

$32.99: Game of Thrones: S4

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

--And there are some national Wal-Mart flyers making the rounds this week. Wal-Mart will have (remember they occasionally fall prey to regional pricing) their copies of Penguins of Madagascar and Exodus: Gods & Kings for: $14.38 DVD/$17.06 Blu-ray. And...the Wal-Mart Blu of Penguins of Madagascar includes the two penguin toys. Why $14.38 and $17.06? I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh....Marlon Branflakes in the Wild 1/2.

[ Obscure Mad Magazine reference.]

The Mill Creek BRD is about 1/3 the price of the Columbia DVD. That's really odd.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike. Nothing for me to buy this week (I reviewed all three discs I would have bought).

I signed up to review Penguins and Exodus, but I haven't received confirmation from Fox about receiving either of them, so I don't know if I'll get to review them or not (and if I do, they'll likely be the 2D rather than the 3D versions).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The "restored" version of the short movie version of Victory At Sea sounds like a half-effort.
This beautiful transfer comes from a 16mm dupe negative recently located in our film archive. Scanned and restored in high definition, we are excited to bring you this wonderful title and hope it adds to your collection!

I'm not sure how good a 16mm negative can be. What's sad is that Victory At Sea was made during the B&W TV era. Much of the film footage shot during the war was in color but that original color was lost when the TV editing process took over. I've always wondered whether there's a true original negative with the original color retained.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nothing here. I had the Toy Story Legacy Collection CD set on the radar, but Amazon doesn't have it listed yet and Wikipedia is showing it got pushed to later in the year. (The Disney Wiki, though, still says it's coming out this week...)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Top Five is good, and I will probably get it post-price drop.

Song of the Sea was beautifully made, but I was confused during it. I think it relies on Irish mythology which the filmmakers assumed their audience in Ireland would know, but I don't. For interested parties, it's worth at least a rental, but I came away with more of an admiration than affection for it.

I expect the 6/23 date for Cinderella Legacy CD will coincide with the blu-ray release of the current theatrical release remake, which is just too perfect of a tie-in for Disney to pass up.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can anyone here tell me why the Blu-ray of The Shipping News is selling for $39.99 on Amazon?

It seems a tad excessive.

Doesn't look to be an import or anything...

917bAtGXOKL._SL1500_.jpg

915BOYK6a%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's crazy.

There's got to be a way to find it at a better price somewhere else.

It was just released two years ago...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
DIdn't you read the package? It's because of the Special Features! :)

:laugh:

Amazon.uk is selling it for 6 pounds ($8.80). I'd order from them but amazon.uk says it is Region B locked. And...they've got a director's commentary and some other "special feature" the US disc doesn't have. There's only a couple up on eBay...both expensive and both in Canada.

This is stupid.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mark is correct.; it must be out of print. This is also how Amazon pages look for Disney titles that have been long out of print with resellers charging high prices for them.

Of course, why The Shipping News would be out of print is another question. But I'm guessing it is.

Proof, which is also a Mirimax title released on blu-ray by Echo Bridge a few years ago, has also fallen out of print by the looks of it (although that one is streaming on Netflix now, at least.)

Perhaps Echo Bridge's deal to distribute the films is up and no one else has picked them up yet?

On a similar but unrelated note, I also recently noticed that the DVD release of Before Sunrise (as well as the double feature 2-disc set and 2-pack-in-separate-cases versions) appear to be out of print by the looks of their Amazon pages. This leads me to speculate that Warner Bros. may have lost the distribution rights to Before Sunrise, which I do not believe they actually made (though they did acquire Castle Rock.) OR perhaps they took the DVD out of print in order to finally do a new edition of it post-Boyhood with Linklater's current higher profile. It badly needs a new release and a Blu-ray. However, Before Sunset (which WB actually made under Warner Independent) is still available from Amazon, and it's weird that they would give one film a new edition but not the other.

Anyway...that's just something I noticed based on the status of the Amazon pages.

Dean Kloss

Agent
Purchased Exodus Gods and Kings deluxe edition at Best Buy yesterday, it says on package Only at Best Buy, bonus 30 minutes of red sea visual effects, I have checked all the discs and can anyone tell me where this footage is?, I can't find it!!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dean Kloss said:
Purchased Exodus Gods and Kings deluxe edition at Best Buy yesterday, it says on package Only at Best Buy, bonus 30 minutes of red sea visual effects, I have checked all the discs and can anyone tell me where this footage is?, I can't find it!!!!

Look here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks