What's new

VINTAGE FILM BUFF (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Does anyone have a comment on a source for DVD-rs called Vintage Film Buff? They appear to carry a lot of older films, or at least did at one point. Are they still in business, and ... if so ... are they reliable? Anyone?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
They were a Californian lab etc who said they did restorations and issued a lot of Paramount/Universal titles that were hard to find in good copies. A woman appeared to run this side of the business and they had good pages on the site. Then they folded maybe two-three years ago, can't remember. But I did get a few from them and the covers were good too. Maybe they got into legal trouble not reported? They were reliable when they operated and I got some review points of my purchases.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info, though!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I used to buy pre-code films from her. I believe her name was Grace. I acquired most if not all of the pre-codes she had.

IIRC the explanation she gave was that she shut down the site due to health issues. I also believe it had to do with the advent of Warner Archive and other studios starting up their MOD programs, so there's a chance of lost sales and letters from studio attorneys.

For a grey market dealer, her DVD's were pretty good. Most were directly from 16mm sources or from betacam footage that was taken directly from a 16mm source. None of the ones I bought from her looked like VHS rips. Which I can't say for some of the studio run MOD programs *cough* Fox *cough* out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if she and other high quality grey market dealers were partly responsible for Warner's starting their MOD program.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
moviepas said:
They were a Californian lab etc who said they did restorations and issued a lot of Paramount/Universal titles that were hard to find in good copies. A woman appeared to run this side of the business and they had good pages on the site. Then they folded maybe two-three years ago, can't remember. But I did get a few from them and the covers were good too. Maybe they got into legal trouble not reported? They were reliable when they operated and I got some review points of my purchases.

Yes, they were a west coast lab that did a lot of 16mm and 35mm transfers. A Film historian friend of mine used them to transfer some rare 35mm Egyptian Cinema films (from the archive of the American distributor) and they did a fantastic job - Better than similar films that run on the Arabic Radio and Television "ART" Satellite Channel from the middle-east

revgen said:
I used to buy pre-code films from her. I believe her name was Grace. I acquired most if not all of the pre-codes she had.

IIRC the explanation she gave was that she shut down the site due to health issues. I also believe it had to do with the advent of Warner Archive and other studios starting up their MOD programs, so there's a chance of lost sales and letters from studio attorneys.

For a grey market dealer, her DVD's were pretty good. Most were directly from 16mm sources or from betacam footage that was taken directly from a 16mm source. None of the ones I bought from her looked like VHS rips. Which I can't say for some of the studio run MOD programs *cough* Fox *cough* out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if she and other high quality grey market dealers were partly responsible for Warner's starting their MOD program.

The "Health" is a cover story, my inside source is she had issues with A studio, but didn't name which one. Considering there were titles from ALL of them, could be any of them. It had nothing to do with what the studios were doing with their MOD programs.

They got spooked this wasn't someone with some old tape transfers to DVD or of a collector with some old 16mm prints and an Elmo transfer Unit. This was someone with a professional lab putting out professional looking items

The studios were doing MOD long before "Grace" started putting out stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks